4sevens Quark X AA-2 Review

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Quark X AA2 tactical. Very nice light. The XM-L's beam has a wider, floodier balance, while the XP-G has a more centralized and focused beam with less flood/spill. I guess you could say the XP-G is a better focused thrower, while the XM-L just spews more light. The XM-L is brighter.

arsenic

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking about getting one of these X series with the xm-l led, I saw one poster say he used eneloops with this setup... was this for a aa^2 setup im wanting to tail stand for candle mode and I need a dual cell Quark for longevity / i like dual cell lights.. What would be the ideal setup under the strain of the new xm-l led? I would like to step up to some rechargeable's however the dual cell hydrogen gas build-up I've read about that could happen in a Quark AA^2 is rather scary. So to refine my questions I guess,

What should I use #1 to power my Quark AA^2 "X" without using Lithium ION chemistry and staying with NiMH if at all possible
and #2 Should I consider the Quark AA "X" instead and make the jump to Lithium ION rechargeable's?

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you go the 2AA route, you will have zero problems with Eneloop/Duraloop batteries. The LSD Precharged batteries are better in my opinion. If you are looking for longer run times, go with the Quark 2AA XP-G. If you are looking for more light, go with the Quark X 2AA XM-L. The 2AA lights are very bright.

cbthedookie

Newly Enlightened
arsenic, I would recommend the 2aa and eneloop route, unless you've already got li-ion charger, etc. (which it does not appear from your post).

I started with eneloops and all AA (and AAA)-based lights; I then invested in Li-ion batteries and a pila charger primarily to support lights that take advantage of that form-factor (RCR123 and 18650). One of my first purchases was the Quark X 2aa - it is a great light, and if you go 2aa route, you definitely don't need to go li-ion - PLENTY bright on turbo mode, and eneloops are stupid-easy to manage/maintain, and have no risks associated with li-ion batteries.

arsenic

Newly Enlightened
Awesome, I think the eneloops and the Quark AA^2 "X" and a charger is going to be my xmas present to myself I do believe. What a quality light, I'm already getting anxious.

Thanks for all of the insight, it sure was helpful in making my decision and not having to regret or return which is more often than not the case with high-end buys as more sellers leave off vital specifications if they do not cast the product in to the golden light. Kudos to 4Sevens I am impressed and will be suggesting them to many others if I am as satisfied as I think I will be once I purchase this Quark with the new XM-L LED inside!

Oh yeah, one last question on this.. the X series states 280 OTF What would the eneloops most likely produce? A guesstamation will suffice as whatever it does put out will be plenty, with myself going from a Rayovac Roughneck Cree XR-E LED claiming 200 lumens so this quark will be my brightest flashlight. :p

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am willing to go out on a limb and say that the Quark X 2AA will totally outperform your Rayovac with the XR-E. The XR-E is a nice drop-in for a tight spot thrower, but for pure light output, it is hard to beat the XM-L. The Quark is a very refined light with a great programmable UI. I have no idea how much lumens my Quark X 2AA puts out, but it is blinding. Not as bright as an XM-L with 18650's, but very good for 2 AA's nonetheless.

GForGeep

Newly Enlightened
I just received the quark AA body I ordered and my gosh, I love my quark X aa2 head with the aa body. It's bright enough with a single eneloop, but if I toss an AW 14500 in, it's even brighter. Best part is that it is small enough to EDC in my pocket with the deep carry clip. I love it so much, I'm tempted to get another quark x aa2 but the regular, and put that on an AA body. I hate 4sevens for enabling me to Lego together different lights depending on my lighting needs. Now I'm on a mission to purchase a bunch of different quark parts.

Etbr0117

Newly Enlightened
Wow, amazing review with really nice pictures and graphs to make it even AWESOME-er haha. Question though: have you tried a tactical version? If not, does this regular one have any sort of memory associated with it? If I turn the light off on like max mode, the next time I turn it off, will it still be in max mode?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, amazing review with really nice pictures and graphs to make it even AWESOME-er haha. Question though: have you tried a tactical version? If not, does this regular one have any sort of memory associated with it? If I turn the light off on like max mode, the next time I turn it off, will it still be in max mode?

No the regular Quarks do not have memory but to get to max output you have to twist the head tight, so with the head tight every time you turn the light on it will come on in max however with the head in the loose position it always starts in the lowest mode.

With the tacticals you program two modes, whatever output you like with the head loose and whatever output you want with the head tight.