4th Gen Eneloops in a Stylus Pro

batman

Enlightened
Hi All, long time no post,

So while perusing at Costco in Eugene, OR last week I bought the new Pasanosic Eneloop combo for $30 that includes AA and AAA 4th gen batteries and 1 BQ-CC17 charger.
I have 3 questions.
1.) After using the batteries out of the box in my streamlight stylus pro and preon 2, I charged them all up until they were fully charged. Then put the batteries back in the (BQ-CC17) charger again one more time just for kicks. I only plugged the charger in a few seconds, and the charging lights all came back on, as if the unit was charging. A.) Does that mean they weren't fully charged the first time the BQ-CC17 finished charging them? B.) I only left the charger on a few seconds, could it have hurt the batteies?
2.) Can I use these eneloops in the new stream light stylus pro 65 lumen model without damaging the light or the batteries?
3.) I noticed the streamlight stylus pro isn't as bright on the eneloops as lithiums or alkalines. Why is that, and would Eneloop XX be brighter than the regular Eneloops I'm using from costco?

Thanks for the education!
BRad

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Hi All, long time no post,

So while perusing at Costco in Eugene, OR last week I bought the new Pasanosic Eneloop combo for $30 that includes AA and AAA 4th gen batteries and 1 BQ-CC17 charger.
I have 3 questions.
1.) After using the batteries out of the box in my streamlight stylus pro and preon 2, I charged them all up until they were fully charged. Then put the batteries back in the (BQ-CC17) charger again one more time just for kicks. I only plugged the charger in a few seconds, and the charging lights all came back on, as if the unit was charging. A.) Does that mean they weren't fully charged the first time the BQ-CC17 finished charging them? B.) I only left the charger on a few seconds, could it have hurt the batteies?
Not sure about the charger but many smart chargers will say they are charging for a few minutes when you put the battery back in it is nothing to worry about it should say they are charged in a short time and it doesn't hurt them if you do this on occasion.
2.) Can I use these eneloops in the new stream light stylus pro 65 lumen model without damaging the light or the batteries?
3.) I noticed the streamlight stylus pro isn't as bright on the eneloops as lithiums or alkalines. Why is that, and would Eneloop XX be brighter than the regular Eneloops I'm using from costco?
You can use eneloops in most things especially high output lights that require higher current and they typically do better than alkalines do when the current drain is higher. Under medium current drains some lights will be brighter using alkalines but for will fade down to a level at or below eneloops. Lithiums hold their higher voltage for longer than alkalines and typically outperform eneloops and alkalines in most cases.
I would use the eneloops in your most used lights first as they will save you in battery costs put the lithiums in lights that are least used as they are safe to store in lights and use the alkalines in your lower output cheaper lights in case they leak you don't lose your best stuff.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
While I doubt you have harmed the batteries in any significant way—Eneloops are pretty tough—it is better to avoid doing that.
Most smart chargers detect whether NiMH cells are full using Δv (delta-v), not voltage, so you will always overcharge them when restarting the charger.

Last edited:

batman

Enlightened
Thanks for the help! All that information makes sense. However,for the bug question still remaining- would the eneloop xx "pro" cells be any brighter than the regular eneloops?

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Thanks for the help! All that information makes sense. However,for the bug question still remaining- would the eneloop xx "pro" cells be any brighter than the regular eneloops?
They shouldn't be, but normally they should last up to 20% longer per charge at the expense of about 75% of the total number of charge cycles. Not a good tradeoff in my personal opinion.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
They won't be any brighter. They are the same voltage as lower capacity Eneloops, so no change there. You have to ask yourself if the extra capacity is worth the money. How often are you planning on using the light, and for how long? Number of recharge cycles is really immaterial unless you plan on recharging every day, where they would still last over a year. At once a week, you would still be using the same cells almost ten years from now. The only question is are you willing to pay a premium for a little extra capacity. And only you can answer that one.

batman

Enlightened
Good to know- I've been using the eneloops with pretty good results in my preon 2 and Streamlight Stylus pro. IMO, I have no need to upgrade to the pro/xx cells knowing they aren't even brighter than the regular cells.

I do have one more question about their durability...I left my eneloops in my preon 2 on low mode the other day and totally forgot about it after laying the light down. It was on low mode all day before I realized what I had done. The batteries were dead by that point, although by turning the light off and on I could get it to come back on a second or two before dying again. I've since recharged those cells and am wondering if that could have damaged them?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Good to know- I've been using the eneloops with pretty good results in my preon 2 and Streamlight Stylus pro. IMO, I have no need to upgrade to the pro/xx cells knowing they aren't even brighter than the regular cells.

I do have one more question about their durability...I left my eneloops in my preon 2 on low mode the other day and totally forgot about it after laying the light down. It was on low mode all day before I realized what I had done. The batteries were dead by that point, although by turning the light off and on I could get it to come back on a second or two before dying again. I've since recharged those cells and am wondering if that could have damaged them?
It is possible to damage nimh cells by overdischarging them in series which leads at times to one cell being reverse charged when it dies to 0v and the other has power to drive it the opposite direction. I've had several rayovac hybrids damaged this way so far.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast

I doubt you damaged them. If you could get the light to come back on........if only for a second or two.........then the voltage was still positive. When I accidently over discharge an Eneloop too far such that the charger won't see it, I then just jump start a little current from my power supply and then I'm good to go. I've never had an Eneloop fail me yet :). The other trick if an Eneloop gets too far discharged and your charger doesn't recognize it, is to put it in parallel with another battery and short the tops together and short the bottoms together with something like a paper clip or screwdriver. That will jump start some energy over to the low battery. You only need to do that for a few seconds.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not particularly, Eneloops have pretty good overdischarge protection although i am not sure if that could cause the flashlight to eat up cycles when the batteries are subjected to it. You should not have received any permanent damage though. I would probably top them off a couple of times to ensure full capacity.

batman

Enlightened
Thanks for the informed feedback everyone. Since I was able to recharge all the cells and continue using them, I think that's a good sign. I have some more questions.
1.) How will I know when I've damaged a cell? It just won't be recognized on the charger and/or won't work in my flashlight?
2.) Is it bad for eneloops in general to run them dead before charging? (although it sounds like they have some discharge protection)
3.) If I run a series of single eneloop battery dead somehow, causing temporary/serious damage to the cell(s), will it damage my BQ-CC17 charger?

Sorry for the newbie questions, and thanks for so much help!
Brad

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the informed feedback everyone. Since I was able to recharge all the cells and continue using them, I think that's a good sign. I have some more questions.
1.) How will I know when I've damaged a cell? It just won't be recognized on the charger and/or won't work in my flashlight?
2.) Is it bad for eneloops in general to run them dead before charging? (although it sounds like they have some discharge protection)
3.) If I run a series of single eneloop battery dead somehow, causing temporary/serious damage to the cell(s), will it damage my BQ-CC17 charger?

Sorry for the newbie questions, and thanks for so much help!
Brad

I run single-cell Eneloops until they are completely drained all the time (in single-cell flashlights), and haven't noticed it causes them any harm. They may not last 2100 charge cycles that way, but I think the charge cycle estimate is based on partial charges. I have to charge them less often if I wait until they are fully drained.

I'm more careful not to fully discharge cells in series, because there's the possibility that one of the cells is weak and thus might get reverse-charged by the other cells, and I believe that does cause harm.

You'll notice if you've got a bad battery if it either doesn't charge, doesn't last very long on a full charge, or self-discharges without using it. I have 8 year old Eneloops that still have their full capacity, so I doubt you'll notice a bad battery unless you reverse-charge it (as mentioned earlier).

I don't think you can damage your charger by trying to charge a bad battery. It just won't charge. You could run into problems if you try to charge an alkaline battery in it (risking leaks). Although, I've recharged alkalines with some limited success, but I don't recommend it.