4xAA light

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for the following features in a multi-cell AA light.

Batteries: 4xAA (preferred) to 8xAA, will use NiMH.
Neutral white LED.
Output modes: 3/30/300/1000 lumens. Sub-lumen moonlight WBN, but not necessary. Flexible on the modes, but something in that range with good spacing is required. The max output (1000 lumens) can step-down after a couple of minutes if required.
Fairly easy interface, 1 or 2 buttons for control. Preferably no twisty interface.
Mode memory, or turn on in low mode by default.
Must tailstand.
Budget < $100.

I've been looking at selfbuilt's 4xAA roundup, but nothing in there is exactly what I want. What would be ideal is a 4xAA 4sevens Quark, with a 1000 lumen max, in a neutral white LED.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Last edited:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can find a light you like that doesn't have a neutral white LED then perhaps you can get someone to mod the light to use a neutral white LED instead of the stock LED?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we own similar lights and I like that mode spacing too. You might want to take into account the higher lux of these throwers when comparing to our smaller XML EDC flooders like a QPA-X, or SC52. For example, my CW D40A measures ~0.8 and 15 lms (Quark calibration) on ML and low, yet from a meter away, it's lux significantly exceeds the SC52's 3 and 50 lm modes (overstated on Quark scale), respectively and so feels brighter than it is.

Once you get over 200-300 lumens, all these lights seem to have similarly tight mode spacing (hard to distinguish without a meter) so that shouldn't make much difference. I think either the EA41 or D40A would be close enough to your requirements, but lean toward SWM for quality/warranty/CS.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the EA41 looks closest to my needs at this point, but I was hoping for more output on maximum. The D40A is okay, but I don't like it starting on high.

Modding a cool-white to a neutral white would blow my budget, so I'm not considering any lights that come in cool-white only.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D40A has a split personality UI - I always start it in ML and scroll up to low. From L, however, the sequence does go L>T>H>M>L, which make sense to me in a "might as well just see what you need to see" kinda way... but with longer runtime options following if sustained viewing is required. NW versions of course.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Despite being well under 1,000 lumens, I think the Fenix LD41 would be worth a look. It meets your other requirements except for the levels/spacing, but I have found them to be very pleasing to me; you might really like it! And if not, at least you checked another option.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the EA41 looks closest to my needs at this point, but I was hoping for more output on maximum. The D40A is okay, but I don't like it starting on high.

Modding a cool-white to a neutral white would blow my budget, so I'm not considering any lights that come in cool-white only.
I have a SWM D40A neutral that fits your description. It has memory and so starts on the level it was last on when turned off. It does count down through the modes rather than up. I would prefer something that goes the other direction but its liveable since it has memory. I think it has good mode spacing. There are 4 modes and then a lower mode that can instantly be gotten to from off. The reflector is pretty deep and wide so it throws pretty good in my opinion...........better than the P12 or PD35.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D40A has a split personality UI - I always start it in ML and scroll up to low. From L, however, the sequence does go L>T>H>M>L, which make sense to me in a "might as well just see what you need to see" kinda way... but with longer runtime options following if sustained viewing is required. NW versions of course.

I have a SWM D40A neutral that fits your description. It has memory and so starts on the level it was last on when turned off.

I didn't realize it had mode memory. Still not ideal, but maybe I should reconsider it. It seems to fit most other requirements. Thanks.

Despite being well under 1,000 lumens, I think the Fenix LD41 would be worth a look.

I thought it was cool-white only? Also, if I'm going to lug around a 8xAA light, I think I'd want it 1000 lumens.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
D40A here. It's a nice light, meets all of your specs. I have gifted a few of these and folks have been amazed at the output from AA batteries....

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought it was cool-white only? Also, if I'm going to lug around a 8xAA light, I think I'd want it 1000 lumens.

The LD41 uses 4xAA and is a very manageable size; I find myself cigar-holding it without realizing it, which surprised me the first time I noticed, lol! It will run in its 680-lumen turbo for 25 minutes before stepping down to cool, for what that's worth.

I think you're right about the LED temperature; it's one of the warmest lights I own so I didn't even really think about that, sorry!