4xAA Round-up Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEOS, PROS & CONS, and more!

PartyPete

Enlightened
Wow, that's a lot to consider.

Lately the Fenix E41 has caught my eye. I like just about everything about it - its simple, I like the modes, the 4 cells drop right in and it really has a nice wide beam. Quite simply, a well made floody 4x AA light at a good price.

I don't seem to see many folks gushing over the E41, though. Is it the UI? Modes? The beamshots seem nice, but I don't see much positive feedback to go with it.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I don't seem to see many folks gushing over the E41, though. Is it the UI? Modes? The beamshots seem nice, but I don't see much positive feedback to go with it.
I think it's mainly the UI. When you have the (multiple) options for a two-button interface is the same form factor and performance level, it's hard to accept the trade-off that a single button provides. Fenix was also somewhat late to the 4xAA party, so I suspect that contributes as well (i.e., the other brands were already well entrenched).

:welcome:

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Great review. I had been considering one of the 4AA lights for a while, but hesitated on purchasing because there just seemed to be so many choices, and I didn't want to buy impulsively and then later regret my purchase. Well, it was this review that finally helped me decide. I very much appreciate Selfbuilt putting this information all together in one place. Thanks, Selfbuilt. I'm really enjoying my new TN4A'.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Great review. I had been considering one of the 4AA lights for a while, but hesitated on purchasing because there just seemed to be so many choices, and I didn't want to buy impulsively and then later regret my purchase. Well, it was this review that finally helped me decide.
Glad to hear it - I know these kind of round-up reviews can be helpful, as long as they are fairly comprehensive. This one is getting a bit old, but it still serves as a useful starting point.

PartyPete

Enlightened
Yes, thanks as well for the guide, selfbuilt. Very helpful because all I knew was that I wanted a 4x AA light, it was nice to have a comprehensive overview.

Despite it being old I'm sure it will continue to help others, like it did with me.

Admittedly I went against the grain so to speak and went with the Fenix E41 with no disappointments. I think if you understand the function of it, it's not a bad choice for a simple floody, reliable light.

trojansteel

Newly Enlightened
Have there been updates to the D40a or was it just ahead of its time? Seems like a 2013 light competing/beating the 2015 lights.

Also, what's the material over the buttons on the D40a? I haven't handled one, but it looks like that plastic material found on cheap microwave buttons that degrades fairly rapidly... how does it hold up?

Last edited:

Gryffin

Enlightened
GRATE work, as always! :twothumbs

Any chance you could include the "2x2" format 4xAA lights, like the Nitecore EA41S and Fenix LD41? (I'm sure there are others…)

I kept an old Streamlight ProPolymer (a screamin' 67 lumens! :rolleyes:) in my glove compartment for years (until it got "borrowed"). I'm fond of the format; the traditional slim profile of a MagLite or similar, the convenience of readily-scroungable AA cells, with modern LED technology. I like the performance of my TN4A HI, but not so much the stubby, heavy body format.

Gryffin

Enlightened
Unfortunately, I haven't tested either of those lights ... I would have included them if I had. :)

Ah, OK. From the "Rogue's Gallery" lineup, I just assumed you were limiting the review to the "pop can" format.

So many lights, so little time… :D

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
from what I have read in the forums the E41 is not very popular because max output is a press hold momentary burst function only unlike all the other lights that have max output modes to simply select and forget...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
So many lights, so little time… :D

Indeed, ;)

Will you be testing those in the future? :)

Unlikely, since the makers rarely seem interested in sending 4xAA lights out for review. They seem to figure these are more niche products, and would rather have their keychain and high-output throwers tested. That's why I had to personally buy some of the ones tested here. And I'm afraid I just don't time for that right now ... too busy "IRL", as the kids say now. ;)

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, this review is exactly what I needed to choose a new 4AA light. Thanks so much! :kiss:

pblanch

Enlightened
Wish they would update the Jetbeam PA40 maybe with a side switch like the EC4s ( which I also have). Still so in love with the JB.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
ah the round up thread lives! I have since gotten a 4th TN4A the XP-L NW, the NW EA41 and the NW D40A. Also got an awfully large box of L91 AA's from BJ. Am very pleased they are of the most recent production. I used to have Eneloop Pros in all my 3/4 AA lights but I want every bit of performance I can get out of them all. Enter the 3000mah L91 AA's. Out of the huge bulk box I got I estimate they are an easy 1.7v per cell as they drive my CW and NW D40A bonkers for a good while. The red led between the buttons comes on and stays on as the lights down shift through the modes. Took a couple of days to burn off enough voltage from the L91's for them to stop doing that.

Ive got 840mah Keeppwer 14500s being delivered to me today for my GX25A3. Despite the low capacity the research I have done shows the light having longer run times with the 14500's so thought Id give it a shot. So now Ive got all these 4xAA lights loaded up with fresh L91's. I do indeed see an output increase in some of them and the run time increases are very impressive.

The NW D40A has an awesome tint I was not expecting it to be this nice. The NW EA41 while neutral does not have much of a warm tint still love it though. The two NW TN4A's have totally different NW tints. The original XML2 NW TN4A has an awesome neutral tint that leans warm it is very nice and does not change when you go to other modes. The XP-L NW tint is so warm its almost orange in certain outdoor settings. It is surprisingly bright was not expecting it to be so bright.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Yes, glad to see this thread is still useful and relevant. Sorry I haven't been around much these last few months, but I am getting back into my backlog of reviews - should be a bit better the next couple of months.

Enter the 3000mah L91 AA's. Out of the huge bulk box I got I estimate they are an easy 1.7v per cell as they drive my CW and NW D40A bonkers for a good while. The red led between the buttons comes on and stays on as the lights down shift through the modes. Took a couple of days to burn off enough voltage from the L91's for them to stop doing that.
Yes, that is the main issue with L91s on some lights. They are a great option though if you don't want to deal with recharging (especially helpful for travel).

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
So much for my 14500 in my GX25A3 experiment the Keeppowers were way to long. Just put L91's in it and it cranks away quite well. The 14500's would not have really done much anyways as the light is well regulated(?)would have just given me a lot less capacity. So now all my 3/4xAA lights have fresh L91's in them I swear I got a bit of an output boost on my 2 EA41's but have no equipment to really be able to tell. Man this thread is awesome. Lots of good info. This thread has been around long enough now that new 3/4xAA lights are starting to show up like the ET DX30(I think that is it)with the diffuser. EA45S is just way to long but hey it seems to be a good light. Really really wish Jetbeam would redesign the SRA40. The thing is like a brick it is so huge and heavy. Awesome light but needs some serious weight loss and a holster.

sevin7

Newly Enlightened
I think the Eagletac SX30A4 is the new king of 4x AA lights. Up to 2,000 lumens and 603 yards. Its using the Cree XHP35 (HI or HD). I think its the only 4x AA light currently on the market using this LED.