5-Watt WHITE Luxeon on 9 Volts -- Pics

JacobJones

Enlightened
It's interesting isn't it looking back at old threads. This was only 9 years ago yet luxeons where considered bright and people spoke in watts. LED's are progressing very fast, I can't wait to see what the brightest 2AA LED torch will be in a deacades time. 400lumens? 500? 1000?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you are right - we have come a long way. What isn't mentioned is that in order to even get your hands on an LED like that, we had to wait in line, put cash up front, pray a bit, and pay $ 50 per LED for 5 watts and 200 lumens.

I still have a few of those Lux Vs. Still like them. Not really $ 50 worth of like, but I like them.

Now of course, I just log into Future, pick the CCT and CRI I want, and for under $ 5 / each I can have them off the shelf. (and use 1/2 the power)

Even as involved in the LED industry as I am, I still am unsure where it will all go. The cost to make them continues to decline, and the efficiency keeps getting better. Will it go another 2x in efficiency / product improvement and 10x price reduction - that is less clear, at least to me.

Thanks for reviving this old thread.

Harry

Last edited:

JacobJones

Enlightened
It will be interesting to find out. When we are old and arthritic we will look at this thread and think "what the hell is a luxeon". We will think about the good old days of XR-E's and SST-90's. Maybe when we are old maglite will pull their finger out and use the latest LED's and try and compete with other manufacturers, maybe maglite will continue to produce the same lights as they do now and we will still be modding them. I can't wait to find out