500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks GIR :)

Looking forward to another update! Sold off a few aaa lights. Waiting for this one.
Thanks gunga, you, me and everyone else too :D

This seems like a mega cool flashlight. Pricing on it?
Hi Korgath,
Thanks.

My original target was $65. I have to be honest and say I'm not certain at the moment of the final price as its taken far far longer and many more resources than I anticipated. Thankfully there is a significant amount of interest so that the volume should help somewhat in keeping the price from going too crazy.
I'll aim to keep the pre-order price as low as i can and once the Torpedo is finally in stock, the retail price will possibly increase somewhat.

tgwnn

Sno4Life

Newly Enlightened
WooHoo! Sorry... just a preemptive assumption of the success of the next pcb attempt. I was using my (very capable) EDC this evening and thinking: what this needs is a lower low and a higher high! I wonder where I can get that...

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
WooHoo! Sorry... just a preemptive assumption of the success of the next pcb attempt. I was using my (very capable) EDC this evening and thinking: what this needs is a lower low and a higher high! I wonder where I can get that...

Hi Sno4Life,

Thanks so much for posting.
They are almost done with the pcb, but delayed a little, expecting it to be complete in just under 2 weeks.
I have put some heavy (but polite) pressure on them to say I need the first 100 working units ASAPPLY.

Planning on sending out a subscriber update this week.

I should mention also....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TORPEDO :party:

It was 1yr and 3 days ago, this project was born.
Mildly egg-on-face-ish as I never, ever imagined it could take even half as long as this.
and in other threads I read.... "that torpedo guy.....did he ever make it"?
(lol says me)
I am still committed and good things have come as a result (eg. MBI Nukes, HF and more).
and when it does, it will roll out faster and smoother now, thanks to having just a little more experience under my belt so metal/finish options, emitter, etc.... can all happen quickly.

The other thing is we might not be able to limit high to 500lumens (hope that's not a problem).

I also realised from mails I received that quite a few people who subscribed to this thread did not know about the MBI HF.
As its not too far a throw from the torpedo, I'll just mention it here as:
Just over 2 inches, 600+ lumens, 2 mode in titanium, brass, or copper
with the XM-L U2 cools as standard and options of XM-L Neutral / Nichia 219

Below from left:
MBI Torpedo AAA, MBI Torpedo 10250 (brass), HF brass, HF titanium (raw), HF titanium (blasted), MBI 10250 Nukes
file-39.jpg

tgwnn

p.s. ASAPPLY = as soon as possibly possible, LIKE Yesterday!

Last edited:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs I love that family shot . . .but where is the MBI Core? It was some time into development before I knew about that beauty too . . . JS.
P.s. JS = Just Sayin' :p

I getting more and more excited for the Torpedo . . . !

Hi smarkum,

Thanks.
Ahh yes, a family shot :)
one is in order!

I'm currently working on a subscriber update, the first family update (all-in-one) covering the whole enchillada.
Some news for you in the CoreTi thread in a moment too.

tgwnn

Draven451

Enlightened
Happy birthday torpedo!

I can't wait till we all have a chance to unwrap you =)

Thanks for the update tgwnn and the family photo! That's one nice looking family!

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya think so GL? Mom & Dad celebrate their 61st wedding anniversary tomorrow. Somehow that doesn't make them seem younger, lol!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
:party: Happy birthday Torp! Is this a case where the celebrated should stand on the cake in place of the candle?

Can't wait to get my hands on that brass version! Will you be offering a tritium vial installation service for the torpedo too? I'm not 100% sure I want tritium on this one, but pictures of it with tritium vial(s) installed might convince me otherwise. By now I'm running out of space to put the packaging on display, but I'll find something...

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Completely missed these posts somehow....

Happy birthday torpedo!

I can't wait till we all have a chance to unwrap you =)

Thanks for the update tgwnn and the family photo! That's one nice looking family!

Thanks Draven,
I have an updated family shot below, with every one there :)

I want to see a birthday cake anodized version!

-Alex
Hi Alex,
That will happen eventually too :D

Happy anniversary. Birthdays make ya feel too old :D
Thanks GL.
Hang out with 90 year olds and you'll feel like a baby ;)

Ya think so GL? Mom & Dad celebrate their 61st wedding anniversary tomorrow. Somehow that doesn't make them seem younger, lol!
DBC
Happy Anniversary to your parents!!
61 Years, awesome!

:party: Happy birthday Torp! Is this a case where the celebrated should stand on the cake in place of the candle?

Can't wait to get my hands on that brass version! Will you be offering a tritium vial installation service for the torpedo too? I'm not 100% sure I want tritium on this one, but pictures of it with tritium vial(s) installed might convince me otherwise. By now I'm running out of space to put the packaging on display, but I'll find something...

Hi Cataract,
Thanks very much.
No idea on torpedo trits just yet, first the Submarine, then the munitions ;)

and now, to celebrate...
I invited the whole family for a quick photo :thumbsup:

file-1.jpg

From left to right:

Back row: 2 HF Cases (light in light), 2 Torpedo Cases, CoreTi box
Mid-Front row: HF Ti raw (10250), HF Br (10250), HF Ti blasted (10440), 3 black Torpedo's (10440).
In front of the 3 black Torpedo's are Torpedo aluminum (10250), Torpedo brass (10250).
On the far right, are some CoreTi anodizing proto's
Front row: CoreTi's and some 10250 MBI NuKe's (custom high discharge li-ion batteries).

tgwnn

Last edited:

Draven451

Enlightened
Awesome new photo!

The big torpedo light is a family member I have not been acquainted with before. Can you provide more details?
:)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome new photo!

The big torpedo light is a family member I have not been acquainted with before. Can you provide more details?
:)

Hi Draven,

Thanks for the fast feedback.
By big torpedo light, do you mean the Red-Black-Red with "MBI" and "Torpedo" logo's?

That, is the case for the Torpedo flashlights to the right of them (the 3 black, silver, and brass).

From left to right:

Mid-Front row: HF Ti raw (10250), HF Br (10250), HF Ti blasted (10440), 3 black Torpedo's (10440).
In front of the 3 black Torpedo's are Torpedo aluminum (10250), Torpedo brass (10250).
Front row: CoreTi's and some 10250 MBI NuKe's (custom high discharge li-ion batteries).

I'll add this info below the photo
Please check the links in my signature below for more info on any of the products.

tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome family reunion Guy! And thanks for the best wishes for my parents.

The only 2 things I can think of to make that picture better is a known object of size (a 9 volt battery perhaps, a dollar bill on the wall behind the lights, etc....just one thing though so as not to complicate or detract) for size comparison and a clickable large picture so we can study details and drool! :)

Very nicely done, so nice to see your accomplishments and exciting to think of what you're up to next. ;)

Dale

Draven451

Enlightened
Hi Draven,

Thanks for the fast feedback.
By big torpedo light, do you mean the Red-Black-Red with "MBI" and "Torpedo" logo's?

That, is the case for the Torpedo flashlights to the right of them (the 3 black, silver, and brass).

From left to right:

I'll add this info below the photo
Please check the links in my signature below for more info on any of the products.

tgwnn

That has to be the coolest light case ever! Will the torpedo's be packaged with that case or is that an additional purchase?

What a great idea! I can't wait till these come out =)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome family reunion Guy! And thanks for the best wishes for my parents.

The only 2 things I can think of to make that picture better is a known object of size (a 9 volt battery perhaps, a dollar bill on the wall behind the lights, etc....just one thing though so as not to complicate or detract) for size comparison and a clickable large picture so we can study details and drool! :)

Very nicely done, so nice to see your accomplishments and exciting to think of what you're up to next. ;)

Dale

Thanks DBC,
appreciate the tips and perhaps I'll do one with some standard AAA's in the mix the next round :)

That has to be the coolest light case ever! Will the torpedo's be packaged with that case or is that an additional purchase?

What a great idea! I can't wait till these come out =)
Hi Draven,

Thanks very much.
The case was not in the original price/budget and though I'd prefer to have them as the default case (to avoid having to make multiple boxes), I was concerned about customs in some countries (though the case can be disassembled).
Once the prototype is all done, and we are ready for production I'll consider the configuration/options but for pre-orders, the default will be with the case as I feel its really a part of the MBI Torpedo concept.

Yeah I vote for a high-res downloadable picture. :)

-Alex

Hi Alex,
Thanks. I'll take one with better lighting and post a link to a bigger one so you can set it as your screen saver.
Maybe even with checkboxes so you can check them off, one by one :)

Id love alternate metals for the 10440 size!
Hi gunga,

The Torpedo comes with 2 bodies by default, so each metal will be available for both bodies.
The first production run may be the original, black and red combo but after that, I plan to offer some other materials.

tgwnn

Status
Not open for further replies.