500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
HMM. Since the XML- series DIEs came out, I've been wondering...since the LED is so big, (comparable ALMOST) to a Luxeon in size, maybe instead of just having a reflector, you could add some kind of optic or semi aspheric lens to help focus the light? I have the xeno e03, and while overall output is humongous, it often seems out-shined by much less powerful lights because the throw is lacking. I am aware that a lens would somewhat distort the beam undesirably, but what IF this thing would have the potential to OUTTHROW other designated throwers? after all, 500 lumens is ALOT of light :D
Hey Guy,
DC has a great idea . . . We need a add on lense :D One that will out throw say the Armytek Predator :)
GL

walterr839

Enlightened
just came across this thread today and must say this light is a must have.
sign me up for 3 and keep me posted

thanks

Walter R 839

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
My subscription to this thread disappeared. Since I have to post something to get it back I'll take #10 on the non-existant list. 10 is my #. And I'll put in a plug for a 4A tint. That is all.
Got your plug, thanks.
About your subscription,
just checking but could it be that it was for Part1?

RCantor, you should be able to just use the "thread tools" near the top on the right hand side, next to "search thread" and "display". Just pull down the menu and select to watch/subscribe to the thread. If you have selected email updates, remember that you have to check the thread while logged in, each time you get that email so that you will get the next email. No check when you get email, no more emails, until you do.
Regards
Christian

Correct - thanks. :thumbsup:

If you find you are being bombarded with too many emails, a good solution is to go to General Settings and select "Through my control panel only" as your Default Thread Subscription Mode.

You can see your subscribed threads at any time by clicking on "Settings" at the top right corner of any page (between "My Profile" and "Log Out").

Christian/DM51,
Thanks for helping out :thumbsup:

HMM. Since the XML- series DIEs came out, I've been wondering...since the LED is so big, (comparable ALMOST) to a Luxeon in size, maybe instead of just having a reflector, you could add some kind of optic or semi aspheric lens to help focus the light? I have the xeno e03, and while overall output is humongous, it often seems out-shined by much less powerful lights because the throw is lacking. I am aware that a lens would somewhat distort the beam undesirably, but what IF this thing would have the potential to OUTTHROW other designated throwers? after all, 500 lumens is ALOT of light :D

Thanks for the feedback and thought dc38,

Way back in Part 1, I had explored starting the project with a lens as opposed to a reflector, thinking it would be more efficient in harnessing the XM-L's power than a reflector as the relative diameter and length of the reflector is small compared to the XM-L die.

The estimates that came back for a custom optic were in excess of $10K and due to the size constraints, based on some simulations from the optics labs, the expected practical output was not much greater than the reflector, so I shelved it.

Of course, for throw, an aspheric could work nicely though its likely there would be a moderate lumen loss.
It is something that has been mentioned/requested before and so the possibility of an add-on aspheric (and possible other options) may be something to explore after the initial production peak settles a little.

I have messed around with some small aspherics I had lying around but the focal length was not a good fit so it did not seem that impressive.
Whilst it would throw better than a reflector with the right aspheric, a less powerful, smaller die running at 200 lumen will easily out-throw the XM-L running at 500 lumens.

Hey Guy,
DC has a great idea . . . We need a add on lense :D One that will out throw say the Armytek Predator :)
GL
Thanks GL,

It could be either a slide-over, or perhaps an option to replace the lens all together as it is easy enough to remove by unscrewing the bezel.

just came across this thread today and must say this light is a must have.
sign me up for 3 and keep me posted

thanks
Walter R 839
Hi walterr839,

Welcome and thanks for the post.
Planning to keep you posted as long as you remember to check in from time to time ;)

You are also welcome to subscribe to the email newsletter which I send out every month-ish (or when there is significant news/progress)
the link is in my signature & post #1

tgwnn

Flashlight Enthusiast
ADD A BACON CRISPER TO THE HEAD AND YOU GOT SOMETHING NO ONE ELSE HAS YO !

world-path-door, nowhuttimean ? :D

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guy,
Well, February is beating at our doors. I am wondering how the process is moving forward.
Is everything still a go? Are there any setbacks?
I can't possibly get an Aspheric, Neutral or HCRI Torpedo until the first batch of Torpedos, which I plan to get :), is set to ship.
There probably is a proverb someone can say to ease my itchies to get one.
Although I am not pressing too hard, I would not want the creator TGWNN to turn into TGWNL "The Guy with no Life" ...
Your have my support :thumbsup:
The only saying that comes to mind is: Good Things Come to those that wait.
GL

Last edited:

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The memory is getting foggy and vauge already, but I'm pretty sure I had a dream about the Torpedo last night. I was holding it, and looking at it but didn't turn it on. I wonder what this means... lol.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

It must mean you are afraid of the name "Torpedo" .

You didn't turn it on ... cause you were afraid it would blow up .

( You will be safe .... as long as you don't play with it in the bathtub )

~

cw_mi

Enlightened
I am really looking forward to both this light and his other light (the small thin one). Has he sent out any updates on the blog ? I signed up for them but haven't received anything lately.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am really looking forward to both this light and his other light (the small thin one). Has he sent out any updates on the blog ? I signed up for them but haven't received anything lately.
MBI Subscription and past newsletter pages

The memory is getting foggy and vauge already, but I'm pretty sure I had a dream about the Torpedo last night. I was holding it, and looking at it but didn't turn it on. I wonder what this means... lol.
I think It may mean you thought that by turning it on it may cause everyone elses power to go out:)
GL

Last edited:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
ADD A BACON CRISPER TO THE HEAD AND YOU GOT SOMETHING NO ONE ELSE HAS YO !
world-path-door, nowhuttimean ? :D
Hi 127.0.0.1,
Was sure I replied but maybe the server timed out.
will add the bacon crisper to the list of possible options :)

Hi Guy,
Well, February is beating at our doors. I am wondering how the process is moving forward.
Is everything still a go? Are there any setbacks?
I can't possibly get an Aspheric, Neutral or HCRI Torpedo until the first batch of Torpedos, which I plan to get :), is set to ship.
There probably is a proverb someone can say to ease my itchies to get one.
Although I am not pressing too hard, I would not want the creator TGWNN to turn into TGWNL "The Guy with no Life" ...
Your have my support :thumbsup:
The only saying that comes to mind is: Good Things Come to those that wait.
GL
Thanks GL,
Expecting next proto to be ready with updated driver (more power and switch function working) around Feb 10.
Also, expecting the clip proto to be ready then as well.
About 2 weeks from now.
Thanks for your patience.

Hi Bimmerboy,
I'll put it in the manual but you need to charge the batteries first :D

~
It must mean you are afraid of the name "Torpedo" .
You didn't turn it on ... cause you were afraid it would blow up .
( You will be safe .... as long as you don't play with it in the bathtub )
~
Hi TMG,
I'm planning on doing a bathtub test on the production version :)
Stay tuned ;)

Hi cw_mi,

Feel free to pm me your email address and I can verify whether an update was sent to you and that its in the system correctly.

I think It may mean you thought that by turning it on it may cause everyone elses power to go out:)
GL
Ahh,
that would be the Tesla effect!

tgwnn

nbp

Flashaholic

Don't feel bad, flashlights never work properly in dreams. I've HDSs, Surefires, and McGizmos all die on me in dreams. Apparently all relavant reliability data becomes moot during REM sleep. :shakehead

ruriimasu

Enlightened
feb is coming soon. how's the testing of the torpedo? will it be available for purchase anytime soon? :)

JJ

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
feb is coming soon. how's the testing of the torpedo? will it be available for purchase anytime soon? :)

JJ

Hi ruriimasu,

Thanks for the post and question.
I know everyone is getting itchy fingers including me!

...mentioned a couple of posts above,
Im currently waiting on the next version prototype with upgraded driver/pcb,
and hoping that its working according to spec.
Also clip proto should be completed too.
Expecting those to be ready over the next 10 days and then I will post the whole enchilada!

Hang in there :bow:

tgwnn

AlphaZen

Enlightened
:thinking:
Hmm, I wonder if a tritium vial would fit in the hole for the keychain ring? If so, I will fill that thing up with some norland and a bright red vial. Man that would be sweet. Just enough to locate it on the nightstand and the red matching the Torpedo's accents...
:whistle:

Tofty

Enlightened
After recently discovering this thread, i've just finished reading the previous updates and must say i'm very impressed.
Most people who would attempt to pioneer such original designs would plan, built, test, approve.....THEN miniaturise.
Yourself and your teams commitment to doing all this work on such a restrictive scale is all the more impressive as it seems to not just be working but exceeding expectations.
The ELO system is an elegant solution to only a very slight issue, that non the less proves the attention of detail being applied to this project.

I greatly look forward to this torches release,
Thankyou

Sno4Life

Newly Enlightened
Any word on possibly getting some GITD o-rings that would fit? Some have mentioned trit options, but I live in the US and trits are hard to come by here... I liked the idea of the red trits in the tail attachment, but don't think they would fit. Most of the small trits seem to be 1.5x5.5mm, and that would be too long for that hole, right? I suppose you could mix up some glow putty and just fill up the hole, but I wonder how well that would stay charged up. Any other ideas for glow in the dark marking for this light?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

Hello Guy ,

I just noticed something about your Forum User names ......

On CandlePower , your name is : the_guy_with_no_name

On MarketPlace , your name is : THE_GUY_WITH_NO_USERNAME

You are about to finish up your design and testing soon .....
and I'll bet you'll be wanting to list your product on the MarketPlace forums .

So that it won't pose a problem for you at the last minute of your endeavours ,
you might want to ask an Administrator in advance of your big Marketing Campaign ,

to change one of your UserNames so that they match on both forums .

Just a Heads-up notice .

TooManyGizmos :)

~

Status
Not open for further replies.