500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I'll take credit for being the one who first suggested copper in this thread :naughty:

but High CRI is a great combination, making the Torpedo even more unique (more unique? I must be getting really excited about this, because my grammar is slipping).

I'm guilty for thinking about the combination. Great idea, I have to admit. I was thinking of buying a second torpedo that I would EDC and would not scratch too visibly. I also wanted one in high CRI and was thinking this one would need a different color, but I'm not that big on titanium because of the heat conductivity factor. Enter some guy who mentions copper and the rest is history.

Draven451

Enlightened
tgwnn,

..and then there was LIGHT!

Great vids of the light and its operation. Nice to see how the progression is going on this build. I like the different tint options along with material ideas being mentioned.

This will indeed be an interesting light!I along with many other members are anxiously awaiting the post or new thread that says - "Torpedo 500 Lumen AAA Pre-Order Starts Today!"

So we can reply with - :paypal:

Last edited:

Z-Tab

Enlightened
I would definitely prefer a High CRI version. Titanium or copper would be welcome, too.

Really nice to see the progress you're making!

AlphaZen

Enlightened
I'm all about the black aluminum with the red accents. It looks awesome. Put a neutral white xm-l and I am happy. Great work THWNN!

Ps. I have the copper Maratac and it doesn't do it for me. It adds weight and loses it's luster quick.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guilty for thinking about the combination. Great idea, I have to admit. I was thinking of buying a second torpedo that I would EDC and would not scratch too visibly. I also wanted one in high CRI and was thinking this one would need a different color, but I'm not that big on titanium because of the heat conductivity factor. Enter some guy who mentions copper and the rest is history.

Cataract,
I put in an order for some Ti rods with my Core Ti Supplier to make a Ti proto and see how it handles the heat and enjoy the beauty of Ti.
Tracking down some Copper now....

tgwnn,..and then there was LIGHT!Great vids of the light and its operation. Nice to see how the progression is going on this build. I like the different tint options along with material ideas being mentioned. This will indeed be an interesting light!I along with many other members are anxiously awaiting the post or new thread that says - "Torpedo 500 Lumen AAA Pre-Order Starts Today!"So we can reply with - :paypal:

Thanks Draven,
Appreciate the support and hope the pre-order is not too far away :thumbsup:

I would definitely prefer a High CRI version. Titanium or copper would be welcome, too. Really nice to see the progress you're making!
Hi Z-tab,
Thanks for posting :)

I'm all about the black aluminum with the red accents. It looks awesome. Put a neutral white xm-l and I am happy. Great work THWNN! Ps. I have the copper Maratac and it doesn't do it for me. It adds weight and loses it's luster quick.

Hi AlphaZen,
The Graphite black w/red accents looks elegant and should fit in nicely anywhere.
Will ask for 1 of each proto tint in the next batch (white/neutral/warmish)

tgwnn

p.s. is it just me, or does anyone else lose the linespacing in their posts when using advanced/preview?

Last edited:

Draven451

Enlightened
tgwnn,

I lose line spacing too. I edited my above post twice for that reason to make it more legible.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
tgwnn,

I lose line spacing too. I edited my above post twice for that reason to make it more legible.
Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

The vBulletin visual editor tends to do that. I've noticed it on a lot of discussion group sites. Actually, most are worse than CPF.

Thanks Draven, fnj.
Used to be fine, hopefully its gets fixed.

Copper,
I've ordered some to make some proto's :twothumbs

tgwnn

JulianP

Enlightened
Copper, copper, copper.
Ok, I got it. :D

I'll check on supplies and see if we can get a proto made in copper too :thumbsup:

JulianP,
Can I humbly offer you the credit for re-invigorating the copper option?
Copper Part 1 goes to scottyhazard unless there was one before that?

In any case, you all get the credit for everything in my book!
I'm very very grateful to have you all share in this journey of creation.

tgwnn

Okay, I realize I was not the first...but as we can all tell, the Torpedo is getting close. We are imagining how it would look in our favourite material. Actually, with photoshop you don't need imagination anymore:

torpedocu.jpg

:)

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I realize I was not the first...but as we can all tell, the Torpedo is getting close. We are imagining how it would look in our favourite material. Actually, with photoshop you don't need imagination anymore:
torpedocu.th.jpg

Julian,
Nice Pshop man :thumbsup:

Last edited:

yifu

Enlightened
7 months ago...
"Originally Posted by saypat
I'm in for one! By Christmas?
Thanks Should be in time for Xmas!

tgwnn"

Really hope this doesn't turn into vapourware.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice to hear about the copper! I hope I'm quick enough to get one when they go on sale!
Thanks, planning to stock enough for everyone ;)

Me too. I would get copper too !
Thanks!

torpedocu.jpg

Awesome photo :thumbsup:

Jullian,
Nice Pshop man :thumbsup:
+1

7 months ago...
"Originally Posted by saypat
I'm in for one! By Christmas?
Thanks Should be in time for Xmas!

tgwnn"

Yifu,
its definitely taken more time than I originally expected,
but we have a working model so not a chance of vapor on this one!

thanks,

tgwnn

Really hope this doesn't turn into vapourware.

yifu

Enlightened
That's great then! The pricepoint (69 dollars) is great and 500 lumens from a 10440 is great even if for only 5 mins. I'll be in for one! What about the Titanium light? Any word on the pricepoint and development!

tino79

Newly Enlightened
By the cycling, I'm referring to after reaching mode 4, if you keep turning, there should be no change in modes.
Currently, if you keep turning, beyond mode 4, you get back to "Off". Not sure if that's what you meant by the jumping, but if yes, we are on the same page :)

In theory, I agree that it's doable but might depend on the chip & circuit config because we need to store both the current mode, and the direction the turns happened in. I will let you know but any feedback/advice is always welcomed.

Advice, there it is with the chance of getting an own idea integrated into the driver :)

I think the best way is if you keep turning after mode 4, that you have to do an extra turn until the torpedo switches to mode 1.

I have a Fenix TK35 and when I use it a while in any mode I don't know what is the actual mode. When I want to get in the highest mode the most annoying think is to click through the modes until I reach the low mode and than I have to count up to the highest mode.

With my advice it doesn't matter in which mode the torpedo is. After a little time with using the torpedo you will know how much you have to turn until the mode changes. If you turn 1,5 times the way that is necessary to change the mode and nothing happens, you know that you are in the highest mode. And you will have 0,5 turn whole for safety that you don't change the mode if you don't want to.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Its cool but not sure if we can keep bi-directional and remove the cycling (mode 3 => mode4 => off).
Will do some more tests and check.
If there are any opinions, please let me know.

I have a strong preference that the light stops changing modes when you get to mode 4. It would be quite frustrating when you are trying to get max lumens in a hurry and you suddenly find yourself in Off or Low mode. Maybe (if you wanted to be extra cute) a double flash or something similar to indicate you are already on Max, but definitely stay on Max until you rotate the ring in the reverse direction.

There is a temptation to make the UI a bit too complex by designing purely for the experienced flashaholic, but for me, one of the many attrractions of this light is that the UI is simple and very easy to understand (Want more light ? keep twisting the control ring, Want less light ? Twist it the other way)

I would be interested in Copper and a Natural HA Alu versions if they become available.

I prefer plain cool white emitters (ie no yellow or green) with maximum output on Hi, so for now no Neutral White or Warm White tints, and no High CRI (well, not until there is a decent cool white High CRI emitter available) for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.