500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsaacL

Enlightened
Guy, I sent you an email on Sept. 24th. Just wanted to make sure it didn't get eaten by the spam filter. I know you've been hard at work on new surprises for us! :thumbsup:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guy, I sent you an email on Sept. 24th. Just wanted to make sure it didn't get eaten by the spam filter. I know you've been hard at work on new surprises for us! :thumbsup:

Thanks very much for the reminder, and I forgot to update it here. Replied and replied :D

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Torpedo XII PCB assembly is finished.

MBI20-20TorpPCB151018_zpsviyxyg4t.jpg

I'm currently awaiting some test results before I allow the PCB lab to send it on to me.
As each proto PCB costs upwards of $100 a piece I want to be sure each and every one is at the very least not flawed in terms of the circuit board and component mounting (though from the photos I have it does look very clean).

I think there's enough gold on this board to make a small trinket :crackup:

Shouldn't be more than just a few more days before tests are done and I'll be sure I can upload firmware correctly.
Then, it's on to functional testing, fingers crossed!!

With this new setup, the PCBs form somewhat of a sandwich.

A roundy on top, the 2 rectangular PCBs in the middle, and a roundy on the bottom :D

I did just want to show you that it's close and whilst I'm busier than ever, I'll post as soon as this finally arrives at HQ.

Tgwnn

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great news Guy! Is it too much to ask for a Nichia 219c in mine?
PM or better Email Guy for this. All of the original Torpedo X's came with XM-L's. Changing the emitter
is possible, but their may be some delay while the original repair/replacements are taking place.
I am a fond fan of the Nichia 219B myself, and I am sure Guy will take care of You ;)
GL

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks great Guy! I can hardly wait! I'm sure that goes quadruple for you!
-Th8tredude

Thanks Th8tredude,
Holding my breath :D
Once the firmware tests are passed, I'll start getting somewhat hopeful ;)

Stage Left as the crowd roars . . .
Nice work Guy, can hardly wait.
GL

Q. Is it the twelfth version or is it Torpedo X2 PCB?
Thanks GL,

probably the umpteenth version but officially will be the X2 ;)

Hmmmmmmm, sandwich, awrrrrrrrr :drool:
Cataract,
Thanks for all the popcorn and hanging in there :thumbsup:

Great news Guy! Is it too much to ask for a Nichia 219c in mine?
Hi KDM,

When the time comes, YES and with pleasure.
After confirming the PCB is good, I'll have to re-design the head to add perhaps up to ~2mm.
That's when W5 will happen, and W5'rs will be the first to test the new-new Torpedo X2.

After that, the plan will be to make a production run which will include replacement heads for W1-W4 as well.

PM or better Email Guy for this. All of the original Torpedo X's came with XM-L's. Changing the emitter
is possible, but their may be some delay while the original repair/replacements are taking place.
I am a fond fan of the Nichia 219B myself, and I am sure Guy will take care of You ;)
GL
Thanks GL :bow:

Congratulations Guy, it's been a lot of work, a long time coming, and I hope you're finally able to start breathing a sigh of relief!!!
Thank you kaichu,

I'm quite relieved most of the time nowadays :crackup:
But so far, most of the PCB designs that have made it to a physical version over the last 12months are generally all good so I am very positively hopeful. :twothumbs

Tgwnn

CaptainRogersUK

Newly Enlightened
Guy,

Did I hear right... W5r's on way.. must have heard you whisper that here in the UK - it's been a while since I have been around so hello every one I missed you all -

I've been on downtime as I've had no work for nearly a year, and one of our dogs was ill and we were lumbered with a 4.5k vet bill :( so under the circumstances my budget for Zeus went out of the window, and rather than be depressed and be jealous of all you lot having all GUYS latest inventions I stayed away :( .. so hope I didn't miss too much....

Can't wait to finally see a TORPEDOX in my hands.... (being in one of the later windows myself).. the hfr is still going strong on my keyring too :)..
If I dont get back for a while I'm pending having surgery on a torn/scarred achiles tendon... and I've got around 6-12months in pot expected and alot of physio

I miss chatting as much as I used to - but its nice to see momentum with members has kept GUY going.... and once things are back to normal at home I will be offering input again and testing..

So once again thank you for sharing this story and process with me.... it's been a long process over the years.. we've all grown wiser and older along the way...

You all take care and big hugs

LJ/Dog Handler

Zandar

Enlightened
Captain, welcome back we missed you. Every member of the Tribe is important so don't think for a minute that you should stay away. Zeus will need a long term field test,perhaps years ,by a professional and there's no one more qualified than you. GUY and I can't afford to miss out on your invaluable feedback so we will provide you with that light.

Last edited:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to see this coming together!

Thanks Bigmac,

Definitely been taking it's time but it will happen.
The universe can only hold back the tide for so long before it will eventually and surely give in to our persistance :crackup:

Guy,

Did I hear right... W5r's on way.. must have heard you whisper that here in the UK - it's been a while since I have been around so hello every one I missed you all -

I've been on downtime as I've had no work for nearly a year, and one of our dogs was ill and we were lumbered with a 4.5k vet bill :( so under the circumstances my budget for Zeus went out of the window, and rather than be depressed and be jealous of all you lot having all GUYS latest inventions I stayed away :( .. so hope I didn't miss too much....

Can't wait to finally see a TORPEDOX in my hands.... (being in one of the later windows myself).. the hfr is still going strong on my keyring too :)..
If I dont get back for a while I'm pending having surgery on a torn/scarred achiles tendon... and I've got around 6-12months in pot expected and alot of physio

I miss chatting as much as I used to - but its nice to see momentum with members has kept GUY going.... and once things are back to normal at home I will be offering input again and testing..

So once again thank you for sharing this story and process with me.... it's been a long process over the years.. we've all grown wiser and older along the way...

You all take care and big hugs

LJ/Dog Handler

Hi Captain,

So good to hear from you and glad you are alive :D

W5 not quite ready yet but it is getting closer.
The new PCBs will be leaving the lab on Monday and headed towards my electronics engineer for the next phase of tests and inspection.

I figured he'll be much faster than me at verifying, checking and doing any debugging.

Keeping my fingers crossed and I'll post an update as soon as he tells me "it's alive" or otherwise.

Wish you luck on the surgery (and job hunting) and looking forward to sending you something new soon.

Popcorn for everyone in the meantime :popcorn:

Tgwnn

Andde

Newly Enlightened
What are realistic expectations? Not to put anyone down, but w5 has been waiting for quite some time now and some new projects seem to advance faster than torp.
How is the situation with chargers now? I can still wait for the torp, no problems, but charger would be nice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.