Nice to see my bare Alu versions their tgwnn. ;) :thumbsup:
Thanks easilyled,
was your suggestion if I remember correctly :twothumbs

Looks great! :twothumbs:
Thanks Mac,
its been a long road,
good to finally have it here ;)

I should mention, both models are looking very nice (black/silver),
but the circuit is still a proto so needs some refinement, adjusting.

Also, magnet is not inserted into the selector ring for proto,
rather using an external magnet (attached to ring with elastic),
to enable easier internal inspection and also size adjustments,
so the mode changing is a little funky as I havent had time to find the right position for the magnet,
not sure if the mode change function is working as intended but still have 4 modes.

The low is nice & lo~~~w

Also, both models are using a shiny smooth reflector (not OP) and not a single ring in sight!
the beam looks perfect with either.

Did a quick outdoor test and on high, easily lit up the whole alley way and whilst its a brilliant floody beam,
the pure muscle of the xml on high gives a modest throw out to at least 20 meters,
will need a bigger (longer) alley to check further.

tgwnn

clg0159

Enlightened
Don't know how I missed this one, but it looks great! Definitely count me in for a NW version with LOP if NW is indeed going to be an option. I look forward to watching what designs you come up with!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Ok, Just had a few minutes.....

Its bright :D

some quick pics, then gotta do some family stuff... MERRY MERRY, HO HO HO
Sorry I keep forgetting about the family stuff, but I'm going to try and call again in the morning of the off chance of seeing this one!
...not sure if the mode change function is working as intended but still have 4 modes.

The low is nice & lo~~~w

Also, both models are using a shiny smooth reflector (not OP) and not a single ring in sight!
the beam looks perfect with either.

Did a quick outdoor test and on high, easily lit up the whole alley way and whilst its a brilliant floody beam,
the pure muscle of the xml on high gives a modest throw out to at least 20 meters,
will need a bigger (longer) alley to check further.
All of this sounds very, very good and does nothing to satisfy the curiosity!
Nice low level, floody beam pattern, no rings, battery versatility!

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, Just had a few minutes.....

Its bright :D

some quick pics, then gotta do some family stuff,
will try to post some a little later if the wine doesn't send me to sleep..

this is the 10250 body, lowish setting (I forget which one it was, too excited)
body is a little loose (not glued/potted) so I can open it up and inspect as needed.

some other non-finished things in terms of the circuits, but 4 modes are there,
using 10440 & 10250....

This is a ROCKET on high!
Beam is very smooth...

ok, gotta hit "Post" button then check this outside....

tgwnn

MERRY MERRY, HO HO HO

:clap:
Happy Holidays Guy too you and your family,
Will stayed tuned to this channel, for your next update.
All is looking very good!
GL

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know how I missed this one, but it looks great! Definitely count me in for a NW version with LOP if NW is indeed going to be an option. I look forward to watching what designs you come up with!

Thanks very much :)

Another reason to go SMO!
Yes, the beam is flawless and It may be the best SMO I've seen.

Sorry I keep forgetting about the family stuff, but I'm going to try and call again in the morning of the off chance of seeing this one!
All of this sounds very, very good and does nothing to satisfy the curiosity!
Nice low level, floody beam pattern, no rings, battery versatility!
kaichuuuuu~~~~~~ :)
PM sent. Merry Xmas!

Ok, everyone is asleep and its 3am here.
The low is very very nice. Not blinding at all, even after being in total darkness, still nice, smooth and floody.

There are 2 things not yet complete in the proto
1) switch method is not yet properly implemented to spec
2) I think the max output is close to 1A but I need to verify it

The workshop did notify me in advance but I told them to send it on over, as we need to see something here :)
and they can complete the rest in the new year.

Those points aside, on high, it makes my itp eos AAA (running on li-ion) look like a candle!
The selector ring is smooth and I can see how this would be a great interface once the switch electronics is complete.

Ok, gotta finish up some wrapping before sunlight but will check in when Im done.

tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
:clap:
Happy Holidays Guy too you and your family,
Will stayed tuned to this channel, for your next update.
All is looking very good!
GL
Thanks GL,
and for all your input too!
We are closer to a production model and its nice to finally have a working model in hand!

I'm excited to see if the SMO gives more throw while maintaining a nice beam! It's looking promising!
Thanks Sno4,
Both proto reflectors are SMO.
By the looks of the beam though, I think its a perfect choice.
Usually, my reasoning for an OP reflector is to diffuse a hotspot a little and eliminate any ugly rings,
but the beam is truly perfect in these proto's.

Will try to post a pic soon as I can (hopefully before sunrise).

I should mention, the 5000K compared to the 6500K, looks plenty warm.

tgwnn

Sno4Life

Newly Enlightened
Will try to post a pic soon as I can (hopefully before sunrise).

I should mention, the 5000K compared to the 6500K, looks plenty warm.

tgwnn

In that case, if the 6500 is more of a neutral/cool, I will be changing over to a 6500k. I just don't want it to be too blue or green. Looking forward to beamshots!

P.s. get some sleep! It's only 1pm in Minnesota (USA)

RCantor

Enlightened
Wow, this is looking great! I'm still hoping for a 4x tint, ~4500K.

Sno, 5000K is just cool of neutral. Compare any 2 lights and the higher CCT one will look cooler and the lower CCT one will look warmer in comparison. Compare a 2800K light to a 3500K and the 3500K will look much cooler. It's still a very warm tint, though. For outdoor work most of us feel 4500K is the center of neutral. 5000K is already starting to make blue-green objects outshine everything else leading to perceptual difficulties.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want one now!
:D

In that case, if the 6500 is more of a neutral/cool, I will be changing over to a 6500k. I just don't want it to be too blue or green. Looking forward to beamshots!

P.s. get some sleep! It's only 1pm in Minnesota (USA)
Ok, sleep time now :)
btw, the 6500K is not blue, just very white.

Sno, 5000K is just cool of neutral. Compare any 2 lights and the higher CCT one will look cooler and the lower CCT one will look warmer in comparison. Compare a 2800K light to a 3500K and the 3500K will look much cooler. It's still a very warm tint, though. For outdoor work most of us feel 4500K is the center of neutral. 5000K is already starting to make blue-green objects outshine everything else leading to perceptual difficulties.
Thanks ;)

Still needs some work, but a fine start...

will post again tomorrow (& reply to pm's then too)

tgwnn

BarryH

Enlightened
Wow! That is coming together nicely and is looking very good. Thanks for sharing the photos.

I hope you and the family enjoy your holiday. :)

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast

Agreed.

I add, not only do the greens and blues stand out, the brown's and grey's(white's) appear less distiguishable with a higher CCT.

I believe it boils down to the tint bins of Cree inventory are available from the suppliers in the next couple of weeks. I also think that we all can be satisfied, it just may not be on the first released run of the Torpedo. :)

I know from this experience Tgwnn is doing his very best to please everyone. From us hardcore CPF crowd to the general customer. Based on design and function, I am liking it!

Thanks Guy.
GL

fatbrad

Newly Enlightened
tgwnn,

I am a design engineer in another field. I found this thread when it was about half as long as it is now and read the first 25 pages almost like a mystery novel.

I really loved your handling of all input as an opportunity to brainstorm a better solution. I may print out part of this to share with my design team. We work in an area
where customer satisfaction can be somewhat predicted by objective measures but where there is a lot of work to transfer subjective attributes into actionable engineering
targets. I think that the attitude and careful communication that you practiced could be used to illustrate a "best practice".

Also, I love the user interface concept with the twist ring. I have an ICON 2 level clicky and a Fenix LD25. I really don't like the "twisty" interface very much. The idea of continually
sliding the threads on a light that should last 10's of thousands of hours strikes me as a bit worrisome from a durability point of view. Thus I really like your non-contact twist ring
and I like the idea of more light = more twist.

I generally use 2AA size lights which I find very comfortable for my nightly dog walks. I have followed this effort with such enjoyment that I may by a torpedo just to have one, but what
I would really like would be a 2AA size light with your twist ring user interface. I haven't gone beyond NiMH batteries yet. But with your driver and a 2AA, it should be possible to hit the 300 lumens
or so and still have a couple of good run time options that would be easily available.

Whether I buy a torpedo or not, I have really appreciated the chance to learn from your consistently positive interaction with your customers and I look forward to seeing your future designs.

Brad

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! That is coming together nicely and is looking very good. Thanks for sharing the photos.
I hope you and the family enjoy your holiday. :)
Thanks very much Barry,
Its a busy time for sure. Wishing everyone here a happy holiday season.
I have a lot of testing and work ahead to be able to provide more concrete information,
very much hoping to get some time to post more details in the next few days.

Agreed.

I add, not only do the greens and blues stand out, the brown's and grey's(white's) appear less distiguishable with a higher CCT.

I believe it boils down to the tint bins of Cree inventory are available from the suppliers in the next couple of weeks. I also think that we all can be satisfied, it just may not be on the first released run of the Torpedo. :)

I know from this experience Tgwnn is doing his very best to please everyone. From us hardcore CPF crowd to the general customer. Based on design and function, I am liking it!

Thanks Guy.
GL

GL, as always, thank you for the continued feedback and ideas.

Looking good! Congratulations on the working proto!

Thanks rlcrisp,
the proto has the basic selector ring, which is smooth and a breeze to use, but the control is not yet operating as planned so that will need to be fixed though Im hoping its a lot less trivial than everything else so far.

The thermal sensor is definitely working.
On the 5000K model, I think it must be positioned too close to the emitter as it kicks in after just a couple of seconds (and steps down from mode 4 to 3, then mode 3 to 2, where as on the 6500K model, its usually about 20 seconds before thermal stepdown kicks in.

Still have not had time to open and unravel the driver, but will be doing so (very carefully) in the coming days.

tgwnn

Status
Not open for further replies.