5000K Color temperature was the best for the diving video light ?

Minos2014

Newly Enlightened
Hi . My friends

Was 5000K-5500K Color temperature the best for the diving video light ?

I see some video lights have color temperature is 6500K . Please advise which color temperature is best .

Thanks

m.pille.led

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
The color temperature of a diving video light depends of diferent factors.
1º How does your camera record diferent kinds of color temperature during the dive. For instance, with my camera I can use a cold white(5500-8500k) video light, and my camera ""records"" it as a warm white light, what is nice!

2º What depht do you want to use it?? if you want to use it in deep and shallow waters, the best is to have a "neutral" white, about 5000k.

3º what do you want to film?? to film in regions where the marine enviroment is very colorfull (tropical) there is no big diference in therms of video light color temperature. In regions with poor marine life, it all depends on your camera...again....

So what I recomend you to do, is to test the camera you want to use, with 2 dive lights(some small light you have laying around) , one warm and one cold white, at diferent dephts. To see to wich light type your camera reacts the best.
And than you can decide wich is the best light color temperature for your needs.

Best regards

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's also the question of what result you want.

If you look at a lemon in moonlight, it looks grey. So the question arises when you photograph a lemon in moonlight, "do you want it to look yellow or grey?"

Not to be pedantic, but if you consider a sponge that grows only between 60 and 120 feet depth, it will never in any 'natural' light look red, yellow, or orange. But if you bring it to the surface and expose it to 'natural' light there it might look, for example, bright red. If you want it to look bright red when you photograph it at depth, your best bet is probably a warm-white light.

On the other hand if you are looking at scenes with various colors and want the most spectacular color variation possible, a high-CRI neutral-white is probably your best bet.

If you want light penetration to anything more than 10-15 feet away, you might as well use cool-white, or even blue-cyan because that's all that's going to go that far and come back.

Of course there are a myriad of other conditions or combinations of conditions that would influence what you might consider the 'best' light.