6p or e2

M

mthee

OK I'm ready to do this. I'm going to get my first "real" flashlight. I can't decide between the Surefire 6p and the e2. So I thought I'ld ask the experts.

Let the recomendations fly.

Thanks.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Short answer:

If your primary concern is portability get the E2, its small and easy to carry everywere. The 6p is bigger and not really any brighter (60 lumens for 75min -vs- 65 lumens for 60min). A 25 lumen bulb (150 min burn time) is coming soon. Plus, you can get the E2 in hard anodized finish.

But, if versatility is more important then get the 6P, it has more options plus it has an optional 120 lumen bulb (20 min runtime).

If you decide on a 6P, don't forget to check out the M2, Z2, D2 & C2!
shocked.gif

They all are similar to the 6P. (use the same lamp assembly(s))

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Real" flashlight, without being a goofball, I'll refrain from commenting on that
wink.gif

AS for which? Well, I'd go with the 6P, mainly because of the lamp module and accessory options. Either one is excellent for a personal lighting instrument.

--dan

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I just got my E2elite, and it is my favorite currently. Perfect EDC light. A mini-M2.

The beam is more diffused than my E2's beam.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hmmmmm.... Thats a good question. I have an E1 for EDC when I'm not working. I'm looking at getting a 6P or a D2 for my work light. I may even hold out for the Digital series. E2 is smaller and sleeker than the other 2 cell lights. But, you won't be disappointed either way you go.

Eric
tongue.gif

Bucky

Enlightened
Unless you have a problem with the look of the E2e or the anti-roll bezel, I think you should get the E2e. It has almost all of the options of the M2 in the size of the regular E2. If you want one right now, you will have to order it directly from SureFire for $85 shipped. Or you can wait for your favorite retailer to receive them and then order one. No matter what you get, try to get a HA version - it is well worth it (note that the 6P does not come in HA, but both the E2 and E2e do).

Bucky

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Bucky, SF customer service told HA3 is the only finish for E2e/E1e. There is a new finish coming out very soon - HA3camo. Don't know for what light...

Size15's

Flashaholic
That's the ALPHA Series. Limited to 1000 pairs of E2e and C2 in HA Camo. Matching Serial Number pairs or something...

I believe other Series of Limited runs will be made too. Maybe different HA Camo designs.

Al

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Even though I love the look and light weight of my E2, I've gone back to my trusty 6P. The reason comes down to flexibility, which was already mentioned and personal beam preference.

I feel that the E2's beam is over-dispersed, to the point where the trademark Surefire brilliance is compromised. The original 6P with P60 or P61 lamp strikes an optimum balance between spotlight-like brightness and adequate dispersal. I find it close to ideal. If Surefire could put the equivalent lamp in the E2, then that would be my favorite.

It all comes down to defining your objectives
and finding the closest match for your needs.

Brightnorm

M

mthee

Thanks for the responses. The smaller size, extra burn time, and the option of a HA finish are appealing on the e2.

On the other hand, the brighter light, and accessories available on the 6p are appealing.

Here are my objectives and concerns.

I am buying one of these just because I think they are cool. I get a real feeling of satisfaction out of just holding a quality made tool like this in my hand. No jokes please :)

I will not carry this every day, I do not need it for my job and I have a PT Pulsar On my keyring that works perfect for me. I will just keep it around the house and take it camping. And keep it near me when playing music. When I carry it I will use a belt holster so I don't think the extra size of the 6p will be much of an issue.

Is there a belt holster that works well for the e2? I do not see one listed on the SF web site.

I have heard that the e2 may shut down when it is run too long. Something with the small size and heating up the batteries. Any truth to this?

Where is a good place to buy these lights? There is a web site www.tannersstorefront.com that has good prices but I know nothing about these guys, and I couldn't find a phone number on the web site. I'll spend an extra couple of dollars to deal with a good merchant.

Thanks again for all the great responses.

yclo

Flashaholic*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mthee:
I get a real feeling of satisfaction out of just holding a quality made tool like this in my hand. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that!

YC

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lonewolf

Enlightened
mthee I have the E2e
grin.gif
and I suggest get one of these and you will end up carrying it everyday.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it only matters which one you get first. Because you'll end up getting more. I have the 6P with the P61 bulb. I have an E2 on order. Now I'm thinking about the G2.
shocked.gif

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings all! My first post here; been lurking for about 2 weeks.

I prefer my e2 because its smaller size and clip allow me to carry it more easily and more often than my 6P. It still puts out a lot of light, but does not have the same range as my 6P and it does get pretty warm after 10-15 minutes of comstant use.

If you say that you are not going to carry it often, and mainly want it for around that house and camping and just to have, I would say get the 6P.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
I think it only matters which one you get first. Because you'll end up getting more. I have the 6P with the P61 bulb. I have an E2 on order. Now I'm thinking about the G2.
shocked.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DavidW

I just got the G2 and I will probably carry in in preference to my 6P. It only weighs 4oz compared to the 6P's 5,3 Oz.(includes batteries).Believe me, that little bit of weight makes a real difference. Since any Surefire's beam performance is purely a function of its lamp,and since the G2 takes the P61 as well as the P60, my feeling is-opt for the lighter lights.

By the way, even though the G2 doesn't have a lock-out tailpiece, it does a l;ock-out bezel. Six of one.... etc.

Enjoy your G2; it's a good light.

Best regards,
Brightnorm

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
shocked.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
David,
I've only had my G2 for 2 days. It's the same but very different from the other 6P types. It's easy to get attached to. Hard to explain why though. It just grows on you. TX

Lonewolf

Enlightened
The G2 was my first SF and it is a great light. It is the cheapest SF yet I can use the P61 LA and get 120 lumens. It does grow on you because with the cold weather the plastic actually stays warmer than metal.

Having bought this light 3 weeks ago I am know the owner of G2,8AX,E1, and E2e. These things are more addicting than potato chips.
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Amen,

used to have a Scorpion and SuperSabreLight. It all changed Oct2001.

E1,E2,M2,M3,M4,E2e

I hope I can get a E1e in camo
wink.gif

after that LED bezel for E1e - KL01
turbohead(E1e/E2e)
and the most wanted - SC3

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
I've only had my G2 for 2 days. It's the same but very different from the other 6P types. It's easy to get attached to. Hard to explain why though. It just grows on you. TX
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TX,

In only 1 1/2 days I feel the same as you. It's not just the weight; it has a wonderfully compact and comfortable feel; it's balanced differently than the 6P-not as top heavy. As you say, it defies exact analysis. Ironic that the "cheap version" is more appealing than the standard, though I suppose if I used tactical lights professionally I might be inclined to stick with the metal versions.