6v & 9v 2 LED Homemade Torch £1.50 with "night glow" feature

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the original simple Mk1 version

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1599195&postcount=1

Here's the modified Mk2 version

Followed by the NEW Mk3 version....

As you can see, it now has a switch fitted.

The main reason for this is to give it a very low level nightfinder glow mode.

There is a 150kΩ resistor (bleed resistor) fitted across the switch, so that a current of 0.02ma is just enough to give a glow in the dark facility.

You may notice blue at either end of the switch, under the epoxy, this is blue tack, to stop epoxy going into the switch mechanism, the first Mk2 prototype was very stiff to switch, for this very reason.

I did try 15,000 mcd (supposedly) LEDs, they were nowhere near as bright as the 16,000 mcd LEDs pulled from keychain lights, advertised as 16,000 mcds

Difficult to see, but the LED's are isolated from the centre switch connector, they are insulated in finished version.

The LEDs are connected at one end only, the other end of the LEDs is connected to the negative battery connector.

I further refined the epoxy, by tilting the assembly slightly after the first layer, worked well.

When touch dry, wrapping the epoxy with smooth insulating tape gave a very smooth finish.

So, +9v into centre connector (2) of switch.

150kΩ across (1) & (3) (Switch OFF=Night Glow)

LED1 +ve to (3) (Full power)

LED1 -ve to LED2 +ve (in series)

LED2 -ve to -9v. (OK, 0v to be pedantic)

I already have the parts on order for the Mk3 version....

Clue:

I shall be using 2AA and 4AA battery boxes with PP3 connectors for a more professional finish, and more solid connectors. Boxes cut down to size then epoxied of course. 9v and 6v versions, series / parallel LEDs with appropriate resistors.

This is purely a hobby mod, I will NOT be going into production with these.

Have fun this weekend, then post your photo's here !!

Last edited:

CandleEater

Newly Enlightened
Re: Mk2 9v 2 LED Homemade Torch £1.50

Cool :goodjob:.
I think I might try to make one of them. I got some small smt 3.3V regulators :).

eric

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened

:goodjob: abvidledUK, i`m pleased your persevering with this project ... a small handy light that doesn`t need a machine shop to make !!!

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

HEY HEY ITS HENDO said:
:goodjob: abvidledUK, i`m pleased your persevering with this project ... a small handy light that doesn`t need a machine shop to make !!!

Thanks.

Have you had a go at making one (or more) yet ?

I've left one by my Circuit breaker box, one upstairs in the converted loft, the one year or so "nightglow" easy to locate, I'm glad I added this mod.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mk3 9v 2 LED Homemade Torch £1.50

Here's the Mk3 Version, using cut down AA battery boxes.

This time, I have wired the two LEDs in parallel, it makes it easier to construct.

One leg (+ve) is in series with a 100Ω resistor, connected to +9v.

The other leg (-ve) is in series with a 150kΩ resistor, connected to 0v.

The switch is across the 150kΩ resistor.

When the switch is open, the 150kΩ just lets enough current though for the "night glow" feature.

When the switch is closed, the full current passes through the 100Ω resistor, and the two LEDs, giving a bright co-incident double beam.

(It actually doesn't matter which leg each resistor is in, just my preference)

So long as LEDs are connected with correct polarity.

I use Blue Tack to hold the LEDs whilst soldering.

Using another type of 2AA carrrier:

I just used some old switches, I may substitute the original type slide switch for cosmetic reasons.

The switches were attached to the carriers with sticky pads, as both surfaces too smooth for epoxy to hold together strongly. May roughen and re-try later.

I will of course epoxy (pot) the whole thing for stability and waterproofing.

It's your turn now !!

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mk2 & now Mk3 versions of 9v 2 LED Homemade Torch £1.50

I am also going to use a cut down 4 AA carrier is for use with a 6v battery box, using probably 4 LEDs of lower mcd rating, with lower Ω's for each resistor, probably 56Ω and 100kΩ respectively.

The 4AA cut down carrier sits nicely on top of a 4AA 6v battery box.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mk2 & now Mk3 versions of 9v 2 LED Homemade Torch £1.50

Circuit diagram added !!

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
6v Mk4 version of 9v 2 LED Homemade Torch £1.50

I have now made several 6v versions.

I replaced the 100Ω resistor with 56Ω, and the 150kΩ with 100kΩ.

I now actually prefer the 6v version, main reason, I have lots of 15p AA alkaline batteries, new, and the "night glow" life should be around 8 years !!

So it's cheaper, for longer, 5x longer.

They are not quite as bright as the 2 LED 0Ω in series, but using LEDs in parallel has enabled me to produce 6v version.

With regards to the resistors, I solder the 56Ω into the positive leg, as I solder directly onto the spring in the 2AA battery carrier, and the 100kΩ resistor into the negative leg, as it leaves more room to place the slide switch into the space left.

The LED legs, with resistors, fit nicely across the central plastic divider.

Note again, Blue Tack used to seal switch innards prior to potting.

It also works on 9v, brighter, and also on 4.8v, dimmer !!

3v, even dimmer, but useable, just.

Lithium AA's, four give approx 8.4v, nice...

Life, probably forever.

Main 9v thread is at:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1661017#post1661017

for those that arrived here via a link.

Last edited:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also now add a drop of luminescent (GITD) paint in with the epoxy, just in case the leds come apart from the 9v, if dropped, after being on.

Hoping the 9v PP3 is close by

Last edited:

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good job! It would be cool to see one made with a 6v lantern battery(F-cells) to see how long the runtime would be.:D

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mk 5: 6v & 9v 2 LED Homemade Torch £1.50 with "night glow" feature

Here's the latest Mk5 single led version

10mm & 5mm led (from DX keychain lights)

100Ω in series for single led from 9v @ 45ma

470kΩ across switch for night glow @ 0.01ma
(100kΩ-330kΩ for slightly brighter glow)

DX small switch
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5618

GITD in with epoxy

There's not really much difference in illumination between single 5mm led & two 5mm leds. (That's illumination, not output)

10mm led gives a more focussed beam

The base is the inverted contact top from Duracell 9v PP3, which is like a small bath.

Hold contact with vice when soldering, not the plastic base !

Last edited:

Jumi

Enlightened
These are nice
I have to build one or two since I picked 20 Duracell 9V cells from battery recycling bin.
They were from 8.2V ->8.8V so lot of juice left and I only have one Safe light left.

Juha

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are nice
I have to build one or two since I picked 20 Duracell 9V cells from battery recycling bin.
They were from 8.2V ->8.8V so lot of juice left and I only have one Safe light left.

Juha

Just be careful you don't short out even depleted cells within the 9v housing when removing contacts, gives a scary spark with noise !

:poof:

Monkeyboab

Newly Enlightened
Gonna have a go at these whats the base you mention "The base is the inverted contact top from Duracell 9v PP3" is that from an old 9v battery cut up? Was gonna see if I could get anything like it in Maplins. Might make one with UV led burried in GITD and clear epoxy for and long lasting glow.

Rob

ruriimasu

Enlightened
sorry, would you mind giving an idea how i can do something as simple as a snap on like this for the regular batteries such as AAs, Ds or Cs? Thanks :)

Jumi

Enlightened
Here is one with Luxeons:whistle: didn't found any use of them anymore except this:
9V2xluxfront.jpg

There is two lowdome luxeons wired in series, resistor and small switch that bypasses other luxeon so when battery is low you can switch from 2 led -> 1 led.
9V2xluxbackjpg.jpg

I made it draw~ 50mA when batterys noload voltage is 8.2V so no need for heatsink. Light is all flood. All parts are potted with glowepoxy.
9Vglov.jpg

Juha

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the idea and the guidance for these lights, abvidledUK

I just made a few of these over the rainy weekend we just had. I still need to epoxy them to make them less prone to falling apart but that's going to be a rainy Christmas day project. I need to get some glow powder, too.

Some observations: these little lights are pretty bright. I'm going to make a few single-LED ones using the 320 ohm resistors in the next batch to be used as a night light in the bathroom during a power outage situation. I'm wondering if I should make some with two LEDs in series and the 320 ohm resistors? What would happen if I do this? Less bright? Longer run times?

I think the cheap Radio Shack switches that I used are allowing some current to flow even with the switch turned off. One of the 9V batteries had 8.9V on it when I metered it today after having it connected to the light but not turned on for about 24 hours. I did not check it before connecting it but it was a brand new battery so I was a bit surprised at the low voltage I saw. I now place these light units on only one pole of the 9V battery and will connect them when needed. These were made to be used during periods of blackouts.

I dug out all of the 9V batteries that were in the battery recycle box at work and I ended up with 12 batteries. Using my multimeter I've found that 6 of them have more than 9.10V. Two of those are over 9.4V, which makes them essentially brand new, right? These were being thrown away. So much for being green. Of the remaining batteries 3 of them were less than 9V but more than 8V. Three were less than 8V. Of these two would barely light the LEDs enough to see a glow from them despite them showing that they were in the 7V range. The last one made usable light for about 30 minutes starting at about 6V then faded into obscurity at around 5V.

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice and simple...I like it!
here's one I made with 9v battery and Two Nichia high cri 083. on the bottom
CIMG3073.jpg

CIMG3081.jpg