6V "Lantern" Battery Lights - History? Anything good?

Coulomb.

Newly Enlightened
Before the LED era I used to have a cheap incandescent 6v lantern in each car, with an alkaline battery (still readily available but cost more than the light). Build quality was uneven so I just threw out the lights that were flakey or became so. It worked.

The carbon-zinc batteries they come with perform poorly in cold weather and have more problems with leakage than the alkaline ones. I would keep the alkaline ones for several years before tossing them and never had a problem with leakage.

I would say that overall it was a more reliable solution than the crap aluminum 3aaa led lights that seem to have saturated the market. Brighter, too.

I got rid of the last of the cheap 6v lanterns when I switched to using Eneloops in everything. Sure, you can use adapters inside adapters but there are better ways.

Coulomb.

Newly Enlightened
Geeking out on etsy this evening and came across this fairly typical example of the two-6v-lantern-battery lights I mentioned.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I always saw these 6v lanterns touted for use in emergencies, but the production date and the expiration date on the bottom of them only give you about two-three years

I guess that's why I don't see them on shelves at Home Depot etc anymore

junkman

Newly Enlightened
FYI they sell 6 volt rechargeable AGM batteries in that lantern size. 5Ah.

images.jpg

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
FYI they sell 6 volt rechargeable AGM batteries in that lantern size. 5Ah.

View attachment 19931
I have one of these but never used it mainly because I rarely use my 6v lantern and when I did need this battery for a project it had self discharged and I didn't have a charger for it. Lead acid batteries are a pain just as nicads and a lot of normal (non LSD) nimh batteries for self discharging. That is why I have 4D alkaleaks in my only remaining 6v lantern and I almost never use it but it is in the garage with a 2AA LED flashlight I just bought (Energizer floating) in case I need them in an outage

junkman

Newly Enlightened
I have one of these but never used it mainly because I rarely use my 6v lantern and when I did need this battery for a project it had self discharged and I didn't have a charger for it. Lead acid batteries are a pain just as nicads and a lot of normal (non LSD) nimh batteries for self discharging. That is why I have 4D alkaleaks in my only remaining 6v lantern and I almost never use it but it is in the garage with a 2AA LED flashlight I just bought (Energizer floating) in case I need them in an outage
Yes the AGM wouldn't make a good long term standby battery but if you where actively using a lantern then the cost of 2 disposable batteries would cover the cost of the AGM quickly.

1.PNG

As for charging 7.2volt "wall wart" AC/DC transformers are easy to find. Put a silicon diode in series and that should drop you really close to but just under the float voltage of 6.8volts.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Yes the AGM wouldn't make a good long term standby battery but if you where actively using a lantern then the cost of 2 disposable batteries would cover the cost of the AGM quickly.

View attachment 19954

As for charging 7.2volt "wall wart" AC/DC transformers are easy to find. Put a silicon diode in series and that should drop you really close to but just under the float voltage of 6.8volts.
I used a variable power supply to charge it a few times. I also used it to power a Isotip soldering iron for a short while but pretty much never got use in my only remaining 6V lantern.

For the cost I would rather invest in 18650s instead, gone are the days of needing these batteries in devices. Even C/D cells are more and more being replaced by lithium ion rechargeables.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i used to play around and moded those, i tried most of those 6v lanterns. the best one was dorcy lantern with like 7 in reflector. one time i gutted 6v battery and put 6 nicd subc cells into the 6v case, then i used ROP hO bulb. it was a thrower like i've never seen before. it was outthrowing 35hid, like it was nothing. but it only lasted for about a minute or two. the heat destroyed the reflector.
the only real advantage of those 6v lights, at least most of those, they float.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
i used to play around and moded those, i tried most of those 6v lanterns. the best one was dorcy lantern with like 7 in reflector. one time i gutted 6v battery and put 6 nicd subc cells into the 6v case, then i used ROP hO bulb. it was a thrower like i've never seen before. it was outthrowing 35hid, like it was nothing. but it only lasted for about a minute or two. the heat destroyed the reflector.
the only real advantage of those 6v lights, at least most of those, they float.
Floating is nice, sort of why I replaced my 6V lantern with a $10 2AA Energizer floating light that puts out about the same amount of light as it does so when the batteries in it finally die I have a backup light already. I sort of like the light as it has a decent clicky switch in it and uses a chip LED with a deep reflector for decent throw and spill.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I always saw these 6v lanterns touted for use in emergencies, but the production date and the expiration date on the bottom of them only give you about two-three years

I guess that's why I don't see them on shelves at Home Depot etc anymore
i once opened a Duracell 6v battery that had a 2013 date on it, inside there were 4 Duracell D cells dated 2015
http://forum.fonarevka.ru/showpost.php?p=55198&postcount=1

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
i once opened a Duracell 6v battery that had a 2013 date on it, inside there were 4 Duracell D cells dated 2015
http://forum.fonarevka.ru/showpost.php?p=55198&postcount=1
There are essentially 2 6v alkaline battery designs out there the first has 4 D cells the second has 4 F cells. The F cells I believe are essentially the same height as the 6V battery while D cells are considerably shorter and the F cell batteries have larger capacity which makes the battery containing them last considerably longer. Certain brands have the F cells but you would have to research that as to which brands contain them. IMO for the cost of the better batteries a 4D adapter for 6V lantern batteries is a better investment if you plan on using the light a lot as even though there is less capacity in 4D it is more economical and a lot easier to source D cells than 6V batteries these days.

As LEDs got more and more brighter and efficient we see from history they went to 3D cells pretty much skipping the 6V lantern battery format altogether and then second generation lanterns went to 3 or 4AAs even but IMO best to skip these and try and invest in 18650 based lanterns IMO as the greater output, ease of use and longer runtimes plus lighter than 3-4 nimh cells is a win win situation.