7-LED Vista-Lite Bicycle Tail Light w/Pics

Velcro

Enlightened
When I'm biking and decide to take a small break (getting off the bike), I set my light to such a mode. It doesn't give that tense, watch-out kind off look while still indicating to people there is someone ahead. Of course, this is on our Dutch bike paths, not among the motorists. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Anyway, I didn't know they called it like that. Thanks.

As for the Eclipse, yes, I found one when visiting a bike shop. I was surprised to say the least! Have to go back to pick it up as I didn't have enough time. Can't wait!

I do wonder if I should skip the old model and go for the 707, but I don't know if the shop can get that one. But the price wasn't outrageous so I might get them both anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Illuminated

Enlightened
Velcro,

Sounds good...my rides are usually short duration/high intensity for fitness, so I don't get off the bike that much. The friendly chase mode sounds perfect for saying "watch out for me" rather than "ALERT! ALERT!". I hadn't thought of that before.

I wish cycling here was viewed more like there. While there are daily commuters and such, most cycling is done as recreation rather than incorporated as a part of daily life...and many (seems like most) motorists tend to be annoyed by our presence on *their* roadways.

I had the rare chance to visit the mountains of Italy for a couple of weeks (visiting the neighbor's family) - and many in the small villages prefer to walk or ride rather than drive. I was awed by the fact that motorists would often pull over and wave us by - as if to say they'd rather be riding than driving or something like that...it was cool!

Please let us know what you decide and how you like it...

John

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Illuminated said:

I wish cycling here was viewed more like there. While there are daily commuters and such, most cycling is done as recreation rather than incorporated as a part of daily life...and many (seems like most) motorists tend to be annoyed by our presence on *their* roadways.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that. It is very unfortunate that biking in the US is basically for fun, more than actual transportation. It would be a lot cleaner here if more people would bike to work, and places close by.

Many places are not "bike-friendly." They can be dangerous and risky for bikers because of traffic, a bad trail, or a poor choice of route. Many roads are hilly, and I know a lot of people who don't like to bike because of the hills. Even though it doesn't seem that steep for me, other people view the normal topography of the terrain as difficult to bike.

Velcro

Enlightened
Hi again. John, I got the light since a week now and have been playing with it since. It's a nice light but I'm a little disappointed about it. I don't know if I should post my findings here as this was originally your thread. Let me know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I've used various brands of red LED rear lights on my bicycle since about 1989. They've varied in brightness and number of LEDs. The most important factor I've found is simply that they blink... brightness is less of an issue.

Without them, vehicles tend to come up at you and then suddenly veer left out of your way... in my mind this is dangerous.

With a blinking LED at your rear, drivers see you from at least 300 M (1,000 ft.) and have LOTS of time to consider what to do as they approach you... slow down, speed up and pass, stop, etc. Lots of warning is the key. Almost ANY of the blinking LED bike lights on the market today will achieve this effect.

Where I live, the roads are lightly travelled at night and drivers tend to pass me while they're completely in the other lane (two-lane highway). I feel comfortable, and I'm sure they feel comfortable too, having had lots of warning. Also, make sure to have reflectors on your bike and on your person as well, including your helmet.

Illuminated

Enlightened
Velcro,

Post your impressions. That way others may consider opposing views about this particular product and make their own decisions about whether or not to purchase. After all, I'm not selling these, so I have nothing to gain or lose by any comments posted in this thread.

Fire away, my friend...John

Velcro

Enlightened
Okay.

The pushbutton is nice. It has a solid feel when you press it. However, it's not really attached to anything. The yellow bit that you press is basically an extension that presses against a contact on the circuit board. It is kept in place by the mounting clip. If you remove the clip it can fall out. Not really a problem, but something you should be aware of when you replace the clip.

I was worried that the clip, once broken, could not be replaced. Luckily, that's not the case. There are two screws that attach the clip to the housing, so when it breaks you can remove the 'remains' and put a new one on it. Btw, those screws are really tiny!

The mounting method is a bit awkward to me, probably because I've not dealt with this type of bracket before. I have to cut the band and attach two other pieces to it with a screw. The screw does not appear to be included in the package, or it has fallen out in the bike shop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Plus side though, is that it fits various tube diameters. Guess it will take some getting used to.

I don't really like how you have to unscrew the housing each time you replace the batteries. I prefer the pressure/wedge type enclosures.

I really like the instruction leaflet that comes with it. It gives you this 'official document' feeling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And there are several languages on it too! lol

Now for the most interesting part: light output! I, together with three other people, compared it to my 7-LED Smart light. When both lights are set in the flashing mode, the Smart is noticeably brighter. It was clear to all four of us. I'm quite surprised by this, since the Eclipse has seven LED's that all point in the same direction and three of them have magnifying optics, whereas the Smart only has three LED's without optics. When setting both lights in the steady-on mode, the Eclipse is slightly brighter.

That is the part that makes me not like the light so much: it's more attention getting in the flash mode but it's brighter (more intense) in the steady-on mode. Why is that? All in all a nice light but not exactly what I thought it would be.

Illuminated

Enlightened
Thanks Velcro, for giving me your honest opinion. I'm sorry if I've misled you in any way regarding this light.

Which model did you get? I have the older one with no "chase" mode.

I just looked at the newer 707 in the store again tonight and noticed immediately that the flash mode is at a very slow rate compared to mine. Doesn't seem to have the same attention-getting urgency about it somehow.

As for brightness, well, I didn't have mine handy to compare it to. Not sure about the battery condition of the store demo, either. Going to have to check-out that Smart (sold here as the Planet Bike BRT-3 I think...).

You are correct in that the rapid flash mode is not as bright as steady, but then it uses far less power, so that seemed logical to me. I should have mentioned that also.

As for the clip, I've never broken mine, but then I don't clip it on anything but the mount either.

The mount, ahh - the mount...well, the original mount I think is as you described it, and came with the missing screw. I probably should have given more detail on that earlier - sorry... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

But I bought extra mounts for other bikes later on, and the newer mounts were different - and better. The light attachment to the mount was almost identical, but the bike mount was more like a hose clamp, and is easier to move from bike to bike. The strap length was excessive enough to fit some very fat tubes and sticks out at 90-degrees from the light, so I trimmed it after mounting on my largest seatpost. There's enough leeway there to fit the seatposts on all my bikes.

Gotta run - and thanks again for the feedback.

John

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have a BRT-7 that I got off Ebay a month or so ago, and I'm just now trying to put it on my electric wheelchair. The upright in front is too small for the large bracket, and too large for the small bracket. That leaves just one place left to try and put it - the crossbar on the back. But it could get crunched there if I back into an elevator or wall or something.

If I mount it there, I'm sure I'll hear about it when I go to Bartell Drugs or the Pike Place Market tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Velcro

Enlightened
Oops, I forgot about this thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

John, I got the 700 model. Regarding the flash mode, one would think that the flashing alone extends runtime. So there would be no need to make the flash dimmer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif All of my other lights have equal intensity in flash mode. Some even increase the intensity. Btw, I'm sorry to hear commuting by bike is so uncommon (and dangerous) in your country. I've read a lot about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif I never realized that you guys ride among motorists (with all the risks involved) until I watched a documentary about NYC messengers and surfed the web.

Craig, have you tried to use the rubber bands to make the larger bracket fit on the upright of your chair?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Velcro said:
Craig, have you tried to use the rubber bands to make the larger bracket fit on the upright of your chair?

[/ QUOTE ]
My chair is broken now, so I'm back to a 3-wheeled scooter.
The only place my BRT-7 fits on it is on the back (and it just barely fits), where it could become broken if I back into an elevator or wall or something. But that hasn't happened yet, so it's still on there.

The BRT-7 is on there sideways though (because the metal tube I mounted it to is horizontal), so those side-aiming LEDs actually aim up & down instead, but I haven't gotten any complaints about it, so it's fine the way it is.

I'll get the BRT-7 on my website soon.

Latest posts