7" Round Headlight replacements

ryguy24000

Enlightened
Alright. It's been a long time since I posted on CPF. I need some advice on a set of 7" LED replacements for my classic. She is a '76 LandCruiser FJ55. If you have ever drove on of these of any other vintage Cruiser you know the lighting is vintage too meaning not that great.
I have narrowed my choices to two lights(I think unless someone can convince me otherwise). Holly retro bright and Morrimoto sealed 7 V2. I am leaning to the Sealed 7, but they are awfully expensive. I don't care if they have a classic or modern look although some of these new lights have a bit too much going on in there.
What say you CPF? What should I make of all these modern lights on classic rigs. Who has done it and what are the "opinions" and Facts.

Silly Rabbit

Newly Enlightened
I put Trucklites on an 80's GM car, obviously stock lights were terrible. I had upgraded over the years to improve best lights I could, Silverstars, etc. When I switched to the Trucklites they blew everything I tried way out of the water, so much light. This was also the gateway drug that got me into LED lighting for any vehicle I ever touched and now into hand held lights. I am a big fan of throwing a set of modern LED housings into older vehicles, it makes the driving experience much more enjoyable.

ryguy24000

Enlightened
Thanks Silly. I did watch the YT vid from Headlight revolution and they mentioned the Truck and Vision lights. The Sealed 7 stuck out to me because of the blinker option. Holly because of the classic look. I know that any or most modern LED is going to blow away the old Halogen's.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm assuming you have H4 fitment in your original lamps? Not sure what the legalities are where you are. But these are legal in the UK for that age of vehicle. I have some in a Land Rover Ninety. I like the warm white (like LED torches) and the fact they still look period, yet offer better output than halogens. Beam pattern is pretty good on my lenses. Confirmed by the annual MoT test we have here.

2tocIvZh.jpg

ButchW

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the same boat as you... I'm looking for a 7" up grade for my 1986 Suzuki Samurai... I was looking really hard at the Holleys,but as you can see on the other post about them, they have some detractors... Thinking Truck-Lites now.. I would like to see a direct comparison between them from someone unbiased...
Butch

ryguy24000

Enlightened
I'm in the same boat as you... I'm looking for a 7" up grade for my 1986 Suzuki Samurai... I was looking really hard at the Holleys,but as you can see on the other post about them, they have some detractors... Thinking Truck-Lites now.. I would like to see a direct comparison between them from someone unbiased...
Butch
I read the other post, but what are the detractors exactly?

ButchW

Newly Enlightened
The detractors are more of a who, than what... Daniel Stern, Some of the posters on this forum, and a few reviews that I saw on Amazon... I would like to see a head to head scientific review of 7" reflector type LED headlights.... Something that would look "right" on our vehicles.. The nearest thing I've seen is The Head Light Revolution one... But as I said, they sell the Holley's, so how unbiased are they?.... Maybe a legit review, but I don't know... I'm with you... I just want info....
Butch

crdiscoverer

Newly Enlightened
The Head Light Revolution one... But as I said, they sell the Holley's, so how unbiased are they?
Butch

Headlight Revolution (including its YouTube channel), TheRetrofitSource.com, MorimotoHID.com and I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting at least one more are the same company run by the same people (it's no coincidence all 3 sites look identical except for the colors). They are definitely biased when it comes to the products they sell in all of those websites, but credit where credit is due, most of the stuff they sell is great and probably at the top of any list you'll find when it comes to the best HID kits, LED bulbs, etc. I would not trust them when they bash cheap stuff on Amazon as sometimes you do get some great products if you do your homework.

I have a BMW E39 with Morimoto EvoX-R 2.0 bi-xenon projectors and their whole HID kit and they are simply stellar. I also own a '78 Corolla which uses 7" headlights (right now I have a set of E-code Hella "H4") and I've been seriously considering the Holley Retrobrights. I've spoken with quite a lot of folks who have bought them and are super happy with the light pattern and quality. Not a fan of going for a plastic lens over my german-made e-codes, but I would say 90% of the people I know bought them have told me that they are extremely good, especially if what you are looking for is that classic look and not an alien mothership.

ButchW

Newly Enlightened
Headlight Revolution (including its YouTube channel), TheRetrofitSource.com, MorimotoHID.com and I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting at least one more are the same company run by the same people (it's no coincidence all 3 sites look identical except for the colors). They are definitely biased when it comes to the products they sell in all of those websites, but credit where credit is due, most of the stuff they sell is great and probably at the top of any list you'll find when it comes to the best HID kits, LED bulbs, etc. I would not trust them when they bash cheap stuff on Amazon as sometimes you do get some great products if you do your homework.

I have a BMW E39 with Morimoto EvoX-R 2.0 bi-xenon projectors and their whole HID kit and they are simply stellar. I also own a '78 Corolla which uses 7" headlights (right now I have a set of E-code Hella "H4") and I've been seriously considering the Holley Retrobrights. I've spoken with quite a lot of folks who have bought them and are super happy with the light pattern and quality. Not a fan of going for a plastic lens over my german-made e-codes, but I would say 90% of the people I know bought them have told me that they are extremely good, especially if what you are looking for is that classic look and not an alien mothership.
Have you looked at the Truck-Lite reflectors? They aren't "alien mothership" looking, but not quite sealed beam looking either... Much better looking than the projectors though... I need some new headlights, but don't know who to throw my money at. ?????
Butch

crdiscoverer

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of friends who have the Trucklites and even though they feel like a quality product and produce good amounts of light, I've noticed hot spots and weird patterns in unexpected areas that are too distracting when driving. My eyes tend to chase those hotspots around and I lose focus on the rest of the road. I am fine with super sharp cutoffs bouncing around, but bright or dark areas in random places do distract me. To me it seemed like their lenses need some sort of fluting/smoothing instead of being fully clear.

In general, they are good and the specific applications where they were installed may have played a factor, but I would keep my Hella e-codes if the Trucklites were my only other choice.

ryguy24000

Enlightened
Santa was generous and brought me some Sealed 7's. When I get around to installing them I'll post some pictures, you know, real scientific evidence kind of pictures.