80 lumen clicker, single mode

histman

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for an 80 lumen flashlight. Must be a tail clicker. But with a single 80 lumen setting only. Keep it simple: ome click on and off.

Thanks.

weez82

Enlightened
What are you using the light for? What battery type would you like? What's the budget? Look at Streamlight's stylus line and FourSevens tactical line. Very simple to use lights

Last edited:

histman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. It would just be for light household use. I get up a lot at night and just want something to light my way. Battery doesn't matter. I would prefer something thicker than the standard pen style/Streamlight; roughly 1" or so in diameter. Checked 4Sevens Quark Tactical. Everything was multimode, and lowest max was 130 lumen. Anything else?

weez82

Enlightened
The 47's quark tactical is programmable 2 mode light. Tight head = mode 1, loose head = mode 2. You pick from these settings, 0.2 lumen, 5 lumen, 26 lumen, 102 lumen, 246 lumen, strobe, sos, beacon. Using the Quark Tactical QT2A (2x AA) as an example, you can have a single mode light that is 100 lumens. Just set both modes as 100 lumen.

But that might be too much $ for what you want. Other than streamlight I dont know of other single mode lights so hopefully someone else will chime in and point you to something

Monocrom

Flashaholic
There's the Duracell Daylite LED model (2AA version) rated at 80 lumens with single output.

Just be aware that it's emitter lumens, not more accurate out-the-front numbers. Still, rather inexpensive.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think discounting multi mode lights will seriously reduce your options. A multi mode light that has no mode memory will always default to either low or high. Personally, 80 lumens to navigate a home at night for a bathroom run is waay too bright. I use lights at around 1 lumen for that, otherwise they wake others and make it hard for me to fall back asleep. Have you used an 80 lumen light in the dark right after waking?

The Quark tactical lights can be programmed to two levels, with no memory and are nearly perfect for this.

It is also hard to make a recommendation without knowing your budget.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
80 lumens to navigate a home at night for a bathroom run is waay too bright. I use lights at around 1 lumen for that

This. I use my P12 on its 1 lumen mode when I get up at night and it's the perfect balance between being able to see and not being blinded.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. It would just be for light household use. I get up a lot at night and just want something to light my way. Battery doesn't matter. I would prefer something thicker than the standard pen style/Streamlight; roughly 1" or so in diameter. Checked 4Sevens Quark Tactical. Everything was multimode, and lowest max was 130 lumen. Anything else?

For starters you are looking for the wrong type of light.As you get up a lot during the wee small hours your eyes would benefit from a very low lumen moon mode with enough light for guidance.For a good household light i suggest the Eagletac D25A clicky which you can tell it to come on in moon mode plus you have other levels by way of a simple push of a button and turbo by just a twist of the head.

If you really want 80 lumen single mode pop into Wally world or similar as they will have a Joe Public offering in there i am sure.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark Tactical QTA (single AA light) or QT2A (2xAA light). Program both modes to come on at 85 lumens, and you have a single-mode 85 lumen light with a simple on/off clicky.

When you later decide that too friggin' bright for the middle of the night, program one of the modes to 0.2 lumens or 4 lumens, and then you have a two mode light that you can pre-select to either dim or bright before (or after) turning it on, using a twist of the head.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second all of what WITL just typed. I love my Quarks. I also personally find 80 lumen enough to fry bacon at night. I prefer to navigate my oh so dangerous house at night with about 5 lumen. But to each is own. Check out the 47

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I have a Fenix E11 around the living room (as well as dozens of other lights in the house, but that's beside the point). It's not a single mode, but it does have a UI that might work for you: forward clicky on the tail, and comes on in ~110 ish lumens on high. With the head loose it's around 40 lumens which is great for around the house use. If you like either mode but not the other, simply leave the head tightened slightly loose. I was initially very concerned about leaving the head loose, but it only requires 1/4 turn, where you need like 10 full turns to unscrew the head from the body completely.

There's not as much difference between 80 and 110 lumens as you would expect, you can probably only tell the two apart side by side. 40 lumens is also a very useful mode for what you describe.

histman

Newly Enlightened
Last night I tried different lights, and you're right, I need to downgrade my requirements. The best is around 20-30 lumens. Also, I like the idea of adjusting the Fenix E11, and I'll try that tonight.

On the Fenix LD12, can you lock it at the 30 lumen setting, and ten click it on and off?

Back to the original request (now revised): 30 lumen, tail clicker, simple on and off.

Looking to spend around $50 or so.

Thanks for the great help.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night I tried different lights, and you're right, I need to downgrade my requirements. The best is around 20-30 lumens. Also, I like the idea of adjusting the Fenix E11, and I'll try that tonight.

On the Fenix LD12, can you lock it at the 30 lumen setting, and ten click it on and off?

Back to the original request (now revised): 30 lumen, tail clicker, simple on and off.

Looking to spend around $50 or so.

Thanks for the great help.

Again i stress you are looking to high a lumen for use in the wee small hours.1 lumen or less is really all you need for guidance and it can double up for reading a menu.

histman

Newly Enlightened
Mcnair55--

I thank you for your interest and concern.

The story is a bit more complex than I laid out. Without going into too much detail, the situation is roughly the equivalent of no light in the bathroom. So, in truth, I need something more than just lighting a hallway. I tested different lumens last night and this 20-30 lumens worked best. I get up often in the middle of the night, quite groggy, which is why I want a simple clicker switch.

Again my thanks.

Poppy

Flashaholic
When I read your initial request for a single mode, with a handle 1" or larger in diameter, I thought that a 2D cell light might work. Thinking that you may have dexterity issues, and perhaps vision issues. BUT I couldn't find one that put out 80 lumens. AND the 2D cell lights are not as technically advanced as some of the other lights mentioned.

They can be had in the 12-30 lumen range and run from 25-50 hours, depending.

Usually they have a nice fat base, and can tail stand quite nicely.

histman

Newly Enlightened
Dexterity issues for sure; the left side is paralyzed.

Thanks, and any suggestions in that 12-30 range with a clicker?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
1-mode SK68 or clone running on an AA battery. Probably about 30 lumen in output for most of them. Can be zoomed in or full flood and flood is good for navigating around. The clicker can be a bit hit and miss on some clones.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Dexterity issues for sure; the left side is paralyzed.

Thanks, and any suggestions in that 12-30 range with a clicker?

Rayovac
LED-2AA-and-2D-Robust-Rubberized-3-Pack

The above are multi emitter lights. I've never used them, so I can't make a personal recommendation.

I do have a one of the 9 lumen 2D cell rayovacs. They function as a flashlight, and tail-standing, can light a bath room. The beam has holes, and different tints within. I don't know if the energizer ones are any better.

Latest posts