80W UHP flashlight project

A_L_R_O_M

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

PolarLi

Enlightened
Thank you for the videos! First, I envy the low sound level on your light, especially compared to my "vacuum cleaner" :D And that beam definitely has a warmer color temp than mine, although, color temp settings on camera can manipulate a bit. But when compared to a LED or any light with a know color temp, the difference is easy to see.
And secondly, after I saw the lamp video, your new lamp definitely has a very different design, compared to most of the fake ones. So it may not be counterfeit after all. The electrode shape is one thing, but it also have a big "uv enhancer cavity" (where the antenna is meant to be) where the cheap ones often have a very small cavity, or none at all.
Regarding the ECO mode, i'm going to see if I find some info on how to deactivate it.

A_L_R_O_M

Newly Enlightened
May be i should post in my thread but for some reason i wanna stay there..
May be since there is a man who is building some amazing lights also :)
So i have to say it's definitely logic ballast issue( not a big issue).
When lamp is cold it going eco mode. If the lamp is at least 50C it's going full power. Anyway after reignition it works great, i have to wait 10 sec or it will not ignite, but i don't want to put antenna over arc chamber and uv cavity to reduce V needed - it seems to be causing flickering too.
I hope you still enjoy my videos. Making for you, first of all xD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwvRERVhEX0 ( installation/construction)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0nBFr0gCP0 (walkaflashes part 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y_Z41uyuEc (part 2)

PolarLi

Enlightened
You could be on to something with finding the correct resistor to the optocoupler. One alternative, is to buy these small voltage regulator step down modules, that give you exactly 5 volt on the output, and has a wide range on input, so you're not affected by the battery voltage. You can buy these for like $2-3 on ebay.
But what I did to run the "5r" and 350W ballast on full power, was to simply bridge the middle (of the three) optocouplers on the ballast side. BUT I know this doesn't work on all ballasts, and the one you have seems to have a different layout. Anyhow, here is a video that cover a lot on bypassing ballasts by applying power or a signal to the opto. I don't remember if he talked about the "ECO mode" but you can take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaeBD5rdFvI

A_L_R_O_M

Newly Enlightened
Glad to see you!!!!
I'm happy to tell that i used 47K resistor on board which controls power output of the ballast!
Now - there is 185W and no ECO mode!
The actual trouble was the voltage on the lamp. Logic decides -something wrong with the lamp when voltage drop is so low ( due to 0.8 arc)
The ballast wasn't designed to power up such bulbs.
Now it's 20Amp draw from battery and 2.65 A on the lamp wires!!!
So much difference, now it's going close to 12300 lumen output.
Will make a nvew video!!!
Thanks to God!!!
I'm also going to add 2 LED's on the bottom...
Thank you for helping me, i should go for 330W in that case Xenonics One
May be i will use ballast in that video!

Last edited:

Enderman

Enlightened
I've been working on non-flashlight related projects lately.
Still researching stuff though, I plan to do some tests in the future with blue lasers and phosphor crystals, really curious to see if I can reach short arc lamp levels of intensity...

The laser can be concentrated on a <.5mm spot, so It just depends on how many lumens i can get out of that tiny spot :p

Last edited:

juan diaz

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for sharing this project. I am in Brazil and looking for ready made or instructions on how to make a UHP lamp testers I have over 200 projector lamps, Epson, Hitachi, Toshiba... but I cannot tell if they are ok. Everyone tells me to find projectors that used those uhp lamps and test them. Are there ways to test them. I know what voltage they are rated at and for what projector but I have no other information. Any ideas. Thanks.

PolarLi

Enlightened
Thanks! And sorry for late answer.
You can buy UHP ballasts and powersupplies on aliexpress and ebay, and the cheapest ones seems to be the moving head ballasts. You can also search for moving head powersupply. You can go a little over or under the rated wattage just to see if the lamp is working. The problem is that you need to "hotwire" the ballast for it to ignite the lamp. I can help you to do that with a specific "5r" 200w ballast and a 350w one, but other than those two, it will be a little trial and error.
If you want a more professional lamp tester with adjustable wattage, you could try to contact the lamp and ballast manufacturers in China.

PolarLi

Enlightened
Had to share a little teaser for my next flashlight project - a part of the custom made carbon fiber host. And yeah, it's a "little bit" bigger than the 80W. But it will pack some serious power, and even more serious throw ;)
8mluDgT.jpg

djjoonie

Newly Enlightened
Had to share a little teaser for my next flashlight project - a part of the custom made carbon fiber host. And yeah, it's a "little bit" bigger than the 80W. But it will pack some serious power, and even more serious throw ;)
8mluDgT.jpg

Awsome build PolarLi!
Looking forward for your next carbon fiber monster project!

Last edited:

PolarLi

Enlightened
Thanks! And yeah, i'm looking forward to it too. Will make a project thread for it when I have all the parts. Btw, I already have a name for it: BFF :D

djjoonie

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! And yeah, i'm looking forward to it too. Will make a project thread for it when I have all the parts. Btw, I already have a name for it: BFF :D

Nice name! Badass Freakin Flashlight :)