9 x 1/2D with Mag85BP melted the BP in 30secs

vacuum3d

Enlightened
Just found time to play with the 1185 from the GB. Used 9 x 1/2D with it. The sucker is bright. I love these 1/2Ds. The only problem is that the plastic plug on the MagBP slug can't handle that much heat. It melted the plastic and clouded the FM3 reflector in less than one minute of intermittant use, totalling in less than 30 seconds run time. I guess I'll have to use 8 1/2D instead, but boy, 9 x 1/2D makes it blindingly bright.

I think I recall Wilkey mentioning that he was trying to see if he could come up with more of those Mica Discs. I wonder how it went?

ernest

litho123

Enlightened
Hi Ernest -

There have been reported heat issues with the 1185 and some other superbulbs. The use of bi-pin slugs definitely requires the use of some type of heat shield. If you search the tail end of the bi-pin GB thread that Ginseng hosted, you will find some references to disecting your wife's hairdryer to find some suitable material that will work.

LEDmodMan came up with the idea of using a hairdryer and he also logged the temperatures reached with the 1185 bulb.

Hope this helps!

Greg

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ernest,

I have yet another call into my source today. If I don't hear anything back, then I can only assume that providing sample volumes is no longer of interest to them.

Even if they do provide more material, the shields are a stopgap measure at best.

Guys like Modamag and Snoopy are coming up with far better engineering solutions.

Wilkey

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have said it before, but I'm falling out of favor with my '85. It keeps smoking after 15 seconds or so, and I don't even have a lense on it.

On a barely related note, my Uncles M*gcharger had/has a terribly ugly beam! I tried making it better, and did. But it still hoovers compared to a regular M*g reflector or an FM SMO.

Using an MC saved reflector ain't looking like a worthwhile thing to do.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Maybe the MC is trully a better "off-the-shelf" platform for the mightly 1185 bulb. I had mine running for at least 10 minutes solid two nights ago with my neightbor, and except for the bottom end of the very thin reflector showing minor signs of heating (just the area next to the super hot bulb) the rest of the unit is holding together perfectly even when using my UCL-LDF lens.

EDIT: I just checked my MC85 when I got home and I also found a little bit of melting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif so you are not the only one with this problem.

Will

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
scudinc said:
Use a 24W Pelican Big D bulb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heck yes. No problems whatsoever here, very happy with mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pajamas

Newly Enlightened
So all you guys having smoke/melting problems using the BP version of the 1185?

I have a potted version and have used it intermittently with no problems at all. I haven't had it constantly on for more than 10 minutes yet, but wasn't sure if the problems mentioned are just BP related.

Also, I have tried looking for 1/2 D nimhs but can't find a source. Can anyone point one out? Thanks.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
err..ok
i was gonna do this mod, but i'm gonna have probs with either route.
bp= easy to find bulbs that won't pop on me, but melts the bp
potted= bulbs that can explode on me and takes forever to find them

Latest posts