911- 20 years later, where were you?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Later that day, iirc after normal school hours I called my sons who lived with their mom to let them know that folks in their school from places like India or Pakistan were not to be feared or hated because a few people from that part of the world had attacked America. By then, although still pretty sketchy enough details were known to show it was not radicalized knucklehead Americans like the Oklahoma city bombing thing or the Iranian military.

I don't remember if anyone had claimed responsibility yet or if the US government had put it together based on information gathering. But I do remember hearing people near me were ready with pitch forks and arrows to take revenge on certain members of the community and I wanted to at least do my part to ensure my boys did not hate their neighbor just because they came from a region of planet earth.

In my community there were lots of doctors, engineers, scientists and so forth that had come to America from that part of the world and taken advantage of the American dream.

I also remember being chastized for saying "what a (f-bomb) genious plan, taking out America with simple box cutters"……"we have smart bombs, smart jets, the best bullets and the best intelligence and we were dropped to our knees with box cutters from Home Depot". It was like we were Goliath and had been whacked to submission by a rock to the forehead.

History shows we got back up and were not defeated, but there for a minute America had been knocked unconscious. That's the part I'll never forget.

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I remember thinking that we are a large country, with a large population, and that we can take multiple hits like that and still survive. It did affect my thinking about going to large outdoor events like football games, or concerts.

My wife was very nervously impacted by the weeks of TV notices... "Yellow Alert!!!" "Orange Alert!!!" so much so, we created an evacuation plan with packed foods and water, gas masks, etc. The bicycles would be tied to the roof of the van, and a 5 HP mini-bike was purchased to be a tow vehicle for the bikes if necessary, once the roads became a parking lot.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder what the Mujahideen think of their Taliban brothers in control of Afghanistan.
Let's hope they cancel themselves out