The Fenix Flies

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix L1P is a well built, bright and pocketable light. It is however mandatory :naughty: for a modder to tweak the light for more usefulness. So I am posting my first Fenix L1P mod greatly inspired by cpf member djpark's Fenix L1+ AA Light Mod with POP2 :rock:.

My mod consist of an extreme engineered :crackup:circuit board milled in high precision, an ATMEL AVR AtTiny12V microprocessor, IR HexFet, a cap and a resistor. Yeah 4 parts, this is no wimpy mod I assure you. I don't have a million dollar workshop so most stuff I did are done by simple tools.

I used an ATMEL instead of Microchip PIC because I am a AVR guy, I am totally noob when it comes to PIC. And my AVR goes down all the way to 1.8Volts :p which is good for 2AA applications. The rest are basically similiar to the well known POP2.

My software has 3 levels of brightness, strobe and survival mode. Which is what I really only need. Writing your own software to customize your light is so cool :grin2: you guys have to try it.

This mod exploits the momentary off switch which is also found on the Nuwai Q3. The microprocessor switches the HexFet on and off which means PWM which also means there is no boost as there is no inductor so a 14500 Li-Ion is a must. During direct drive(sort of, with very little resistance through the HexFet), I see a little increase in brightness when compared to a stock L1P v2.5. Much but not significant. I have yet to change the R bin Luxeon to a LuxIII. A SQ17 reflector might fit too. Maybe tommorow...

I know you guys dig for pics so here you go...

fenix-avr-circuit1.jpg

Check out the extreme engineered double-sided cicuit board with CAD:crackup:

fenix-avr-circuit2.jpg

Cell + side. Lines drawn with bic pen. Cleaned with rubber eraser easily.
Just like drawing in kindergarten, how fun :crackup:.

fenix-avr-circuit3.jpg

Milled with high precision tools :broke:.

fenix-avr-circuit4.jpg

Blur image :sigh:, tsk tsk

fenix-avr-circuit5.jpg

Yeah that's what I am talking about... Freeform circuit

fenix-avr-circuit6.jpg

Stock Fenix L1P 2.0 on the right

fenix-avr-circuit7.jpg

Stuff it all back in to the brass module.

Update:

fenix-reflector1.jpg

Original Fenix 2.0 reflector IMS 17mm Reflector
Same height, need to trim mounting legs.

fenix-reflector2.jpg

Far Right - with 17mm IMS Reflector, a bit smaller in diameter and some farkle bonus :shrug:

fenix-avr-lux1.jpg

Left - Stock Fenix L1P v2.5
Right - Direct Drive(96% duty) stock L1P v2.0 Luxeon with IMS 17mm reflector

fenix-avr-lux3.jpg

Left - Stock Fenix L1P v2.5
Right - Direct Drive(96% duty) LuxIII TWOJ with IMS 17mm reflector
Sorry camera white balance went crazy... :rant:

If you want to see some stock electronics of the Fenix L1P v2.0 picture read it here where the Fenix L1P v2.0 get naked. There have fun.

vince.

Last edited:

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Koala,

Excellent work, very original and even a EE dummy like me could really appreciate the micro work that involves here! :thumbsup: :)

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put a luxIII so you get a bigger difference from the li-ion!
My Fenix satisfies me so much, it's the only light I have that I haven't modded. I even modded my ArcAAA! Of course having a 2nd fenix that had luxIII 1amp drive would be a scorcher. Just not that usefull for runtime.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys your words really help. :buddies:

First of all, the mod is not original, I borrowed djpark's idea of modding the Fenix L1+. He is the inventor of the cool POP2. I'll try the LuxIII tonight and see how it goes :D.

I don't know...but I am certainly not comfortable with advertising my products on threads belonging to others. :shrug:

goldserve said:
That's so cool. I know i got lots of satisfaction programming my own FLuPIC as well! Cheers!

-vince.

Last edited:

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would hardly consider that advertising as I was just commenting on the satisfaction like you were and did not post a link or anything. Thanks for understanding.

Kevin

koala said:
Thanks guys your words really help. :buddies:

First of all, the mod is not original, I borrowed djpark's idea of modding the Fenix L1+. He is the inventor of the cool POP2. I'll try the LuxIII tonight and see how it goes :D.

I don't know...but I am certainly not comfortable with advertising my products on threads belonging to others. :shrug:

-vince.

kingkong

Newly Enlightened
koala,

Can you share some knowledge of your AVR circuit and code?

cn

Last edited:

Ralf

Enlightened
Nice to see some
AVR come to flashlights.

Which fet do you use. I have problems
to found a logic level, which goes down
to 1.8V (highlevel) and which is easy
available over here in germany?

Cheers
Ralf