A $300 scope on a $150 rifle...ehh

Illum

Flashaholic
Well, I'd like a scope on my VZ24 mauser, installed a picatinny mount that replaced the rear sight on the gun, and came to the realization that the scope will be anywhere from 10-16" from my eye. Taking care to ask discreetly to prevent a laughing stock I came to the conclusion that what I need is an extra long eye relief scope, or a "scout scope"

I plan to go hunting with this, distance no more than 150 yards... range shooting puts me about 2 inch groups at 100 yards at best with irons, but that's on a day that's less [wind is always present] windy and at a stationary target. Its a straight bolt, so theres not a chance I can tap the reciever and plop it on top.

Assuming I have a budget of $300, what choices do I have?

jugg2

Enlightened
Well... I can't necessarily help you on scope selection but I can make you feel a little better haha!

I bought an AK-47 recently, a $300-$400 gun. Then I went and spent $40ish on a mount and $499ish on a EOTech 512 holographic sight for the thing haha!

Is it overkill? Absolutely! Does it get crazy looks? All the time haha! But, does anyone have an AK that can match mines accuracy and functionality? Nope ;)

So do what you want and dont worry about it haha.

Good luck with the scope! I will browse a bit and see what I can come up with...

Caleb Wilson

jugg2

Enlightened
What about this scope? Out of stock at the moment, but you may could find it elsewhere... And after a bit of reading the eye relief seems like it would work for you. Barely within the price range.

Illum

Flashaholic
It seems odd that certain scopes specify eye relief distances while others don't. With the picatinny rail on there the rear edge of it is 16" from my nose when the stock is on my shoulder.

:thanks: jugg2, I always liked Leupolds :)
Its actually about $270ish after tax at ManVentureOutpost.com with free shipping...

Hopefully though there are other options. Since the pictinny rail is a reversible mod I might convert both of my Mausers...

Last edited:

jugg2

Enlightened
I have always liked my Leupolds too! Never had an issue with any of them... The new Redfields are super nice also, but they dont have one to fit this application...

You have got me thinking, I may have to give my Marlin the same treatment that you're looking at!

Oh and Nikon has a scope on Midway. It's a handgun scope that they claim will double as a scout scope. No experience with Nikon though so I cant recommend it...

Illum

Flashaholic
well, the distance I stated was from the end of my nose to the end of the picatinny, surely a scope is going to be closer to me than the rail by the time it is mounted, but I don't know the actual length.

I am shifting towards the Leupold FX-II 2.5x28mm IER Scout though

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I am shifting towards the Leupold FX-II 2.5x28mm IER Scout though
Hi Illum, sorry for the late bump, but I was just reviewing some of the earlier /Cafe/ threads.

What's ironic is that that earlier in the summer I sold off exactly this scope on an auction site, it was even unopened NIB.

So have you made any scope decisions? FWIW just this summer I have purchased nine used Leupolds as well as selling off 10 scopes of various brands so I might have a few opinions & helpful info for ya ... ;)

Illum

Flashaholic
ahh, forgot about updates :ohgeez:
Decided to start with a NcStar 2-7x32 pistol scope from amazon, mounting on the picatinny rail. Initially borrowed a boresighter and sighted in at 100 yards. After the first shots I lost the center and shot much lower than usual. As it turns out, since the aftermarket rail attaches to the gun in only one point as opposed to two [one screw through the rear sight pinhole], the scope has the tendency to bounce up from the rear and move around after 3-4 shots. I had torqued the screw down until it was putting dimples on my front grip. Even with the rear sight spring under it there is still some give that adds a little jarring.
In retrospect mounting a scope on a surplus should only be done in two ways, tap the receiver or weld it on the barrel, retrofitting it over the rear sight is not going to work. Retrofitting it with mojosights maybe :grin2:

After two weeks I made a choice between locktite and going back to irons. I went with irons. Rifles shot consistently ever since. the NcStar scopes on the shelf, waiting for the carbine that I'm hoping to procure. My first .223, Keltec SU-16 Charlie... fun gun/trunk carbine, wo0t

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Ah well, sounds like it's for the best.
BTW I'm a huge fan of used Leupolds and having done some rather intensive buying & selling rencently, I have a feel for the best values in the used ones. If you end up looking for one, drop me a line and I could give you some pretty good recommendations.
Best regards,

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Elsewhere in this forum, I have descriped what a $40 air rifle did to a $500 or so Leupold scope when I put it on my son's pellet gun for a joke. Don't do that, this was years ago and I still haven't recovered (spring airguns recoil both ways and the gentle recoil in the wrong direction eventually trashed the optics).