A bicycle thread.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Here's a thread to talk about bicycles. Two wheel, three, 4, bicycles built for two, recumbant, electric, bikes that fly down mountains at 70mph or tour across Europe. Bicycles for fun, for work, or anything else.

41E09996-7976-4425-8067-90C82B09F7CB.jpeg

Here's a bike that cuts grass.

335E1213-F6AD-4AA7-8239-BEABCCE03AC8.jpeg
Here's a custom made number I had built in 2012
A newly made 1940's bike truck style frame with 2 speed coaster wheel and 36" handlebars. Painted with Corvette acrylic. I went with 28" bars later.

12A17AF2-4C07-4B68-8F2E-ADAF54FF8928.jpeg

And one I rode today.
A 21 speed Giant Suede from a bike shop that was clearing it out to make room for the next year bicycles. Super-duper nice bicycle. If I recall correct it is a 2008 or 09 model.

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I should get my bikes back in working order after languishing for years.
  • Specialized Gary Fisher - First bike I bought as an adult that was originally used for mountain biking but was subsequently repurposed as the semi-daily training/exercise bike with street tires. Heavy and slow for a street bike, but that was kind of the point.
  • Trek Madone 1.1 - A basic road bike I used for a couple charity tours and occasional long road rides in outlying areas.
  • Niner AIR 9 - Built up from parts as a more capable mountain bike than the Specialized. 1x10 drivetrain, hydraulic brakes, decent wheels.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There was a road bike for beginners thread CG. Don't know if that's the one you mean.

My very first bike was a Schwinn. I forget the model but it was a 20" wheel bike that was pretty basic in the late 1960's. It was a like new second hand bike. Oh, it was called Stingray.

My dad launched me one day and off I went. I kept going and going until……uh oh, a car. I could hear my dad hollering "stop stop" but I had no clue how to and my feet were like a foot off the ground so I just closed my eyes and "WHAM"…… Since it didn't hurt at all and the lady I ran into was not mad I figured "hey this bicycle thing is pretty cool" and learned how to launch myself when my dad wasn't looking.

Eventually I grew into that one. My twin brother and I shared it but he didn't really care for riding a bicycle at that point. But it wasn't long before I had beat it up pretty good trying to be like Evel Kneivel. But not before turning it into a chopper with extra forks from a Huffy or something similar banged onto the Schwinn blades and a sissy bar behind the seat. Oh man that was the coolest.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I remember when I first started noticing fat tire bikes and thinking "hmmm I wonder if they'll catch on". Then when Toys R Us started selling them……yup they must've caught on.

I wanted one for riding in those detention ponds at shopping malls when they dried up in summer. Be like a BMX bike park covered in grass instead of concrete. The idea lasted about as long as my desire to learn the art of jumping off a cliff wearing a hang glider……ie not long.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i trully live at the lowest part of town so leaving my home sucks big hills coming home is fun. well not the jerks who are to damn lazy to turn the wheel of there car a few feet.. i loose my temper so fast as i age they beep i flip them off. which is stupid of me i know.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking very few readers here would find these perspectives significantly pertinent, but the subject came up in a different thread.
The first article questions which hand for which brake (front or rear) on a bike. Not all countries agree, but it makes sense that being consistent (federal laws) is a good thing when new learners begin and for switching bikes.

This next one is based on motorcycle brake use (front brake is controlled by right hand), but now we have electric bikes with twist throttle to control acceleration. If a person has the muscle memory riding a motorcycle (where I think needing to stop becomes even more dynamic because of higher speeds) then the question of which hand should control which brake thickens. Given that about 70% of effective braking is performed by the front brake, I personally would rather have my stronger hand working the front brake. Of course training is important.

Slow speed tight U-turns can require gentle throttle and braking, with the rear brake preferentially being used; another benefit of having the rear brake on the left for an ebike that primarily uses a twist throttle.

Curious that I can make tight U-turns to the left much easier than to the right; wondering if that is the case with most people or are many people able to do U-turns either way equally easy?

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
For me the standard setup works best since I'm left-handed. But honestly I don't see any issues doing it whichever way you prefer, so long as you're consistent with all your bikes, and nobody else uses them but you (as most people in the US would expect the right hand brake to be the rear).

bykfixer

Flashaholic
On my bicycle with non coaster brake wheel, right hand controls the more dominent brake for me which is the rear with the front being for assistance. Now for u-turns either direction is easy enough if I'm using the back wheel as a pivot point. When doing a front wheelie u-turn counter clockwise works best for me. Being left footed but right handed somehow gets intertwined in there.

I don't ride electric bikes or motorcycles so I do not have any opinion about those.

Last edited:

The Hawk

Enlightened
I bought a used bike 15 years ago. I still have it and ride it on a regular basis. I paid $30 for it. I have more $$ in the lights that I have purchased for the bike than what I paid for the bike. The lights are not on here in this pic. They are recharging.
20200330_152430.jpg

6.5CM

Newly Enlightened
Since this is a "'lectric"forum:
My New Bike is an E-CELLS Super Monarch Crown e-mountain bike. It has -> 2 wheel drive, 2 batteries, dual suspension, heavy duty hydraulic brakes and 4.2" wide "fat" tires. For just under $4,800. it is a relative bargain in the heavy hauler e-mountain bike universe.

Yeah, it weighs 95 pounds with all those motors and batteries but for hauling boned-out big game meat to camping gear it is great with its 400 lb. load capacity (not including bike weight, just load). To charge it at my SUV I use a foldable solar "blanket" which charges a BLUETTI LFP storage battery which, in turn, charges the bike.

No hate mail if you have a carbon-framed mid motor ultralight e-mountain bike. Different bikes for different purposes, just like other vehicles.

Latest posts