A Brilliant Book about Flashlights - at Last !!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For just a split-second, I saw "PK," and got real happy.
Then I noticed the date.... :(

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Most people here won't remember that lightlover (the fellow who started this thread) used to be a part of the staff here way back when. He and PK were good friends. PK was famous for his ideas at SureFire but had never really looked backward at how things had reached the point of where they were when he filled out a job application at Dr John Matthews budding company. Lightlover was a big fan of silver flashlights. He used to rib PK about him making everything for war. "Why not make something peaceful?" he once said.

When PK made the PKDL PL 2 he did one in rainbow colors for lightlover. He did a silver one as well. So sometime around 2015 the book this thread is about led to a rainbow and a silver aaa flashlight made by PK. He spoke of using rosewood someday but it has yet to happen.

Most people here won't remember that lightlover (the fellow who started this thread) used to be a part of the staff here way back when. He and PK were good friends. PK was famous for his ideas at SureFire but had never really looked backward at how things had reached the point of where they were when he filled out a job application at Dr John Matthews budding company. Lightlover was a big fan of silver flashlights. He used to rib PK about him making everything for war. "Why not make something peaceful?" he once said.

When PK made the PKDL PL 2 he did one in rainbow colors for lightlover. He did a silver one as well. So sometime around 2015 the book this thread is about led to a rainbow and a silver aaa flashlight made by PK. He spoke of using rosewood someday but it has yet to happen.
I know you have at least one of each, soooo .... pictures or it didn't happen. :grin2:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
👆 No Mr Utely has not released a follow up.

I know you have at least one of each, soooo .... pictures or it didn't happen. :grin2:
Here ya go
IMG_2005.jpeg

Left is polished alluminum. Middle is PVD coated. Right is titanium coating shocked to a type 3 hardness and created the rainbow effect. No two were the same.

Left and right have a microstream clip
Middle is a prototype clip thst never went into production.

The little carabiners make it easy to atttach to a key ring.

To the 2nd book question, it seems as though Mr Utely has taken up other pursuits after Mrs Utely went home to be with the Lord.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
If this is ever released in e-book format, I'll nab it without blinking. Only reason I don't get a physical copy is I'm not from or in the US, so yanno, exchange rates and shipping costs. :broke:

Two decades later, is there any word on the 2nd tome? Or did Mr Utley shelve his pen?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Mr Utely studied flashlights and spent decades accumulating materials used in his book. He has what some (who also have great historical collections numbering in the thousands) call the greatest flashlight collection on planet earth. He went into the project of writing his book with the idea of a very comprehensive guide into the world of flashlights going back to the beginning. Since Ever Ready probably had the most stake in the progression he focused on that brand mostly.

Once the alluminum pipe flashlights were devised and shortly after (as history goes) the LED light came about he would have had to spend more decades for the research involved. When I ordered a copy from him he was in his 80's and had just become a widower. He would have to live to 122 in order to achieve a proper (in his skill level) sequel and maybe another house to store those modern marvels. And since his favorite subject (the Ever Ready) is no longer really pioneering much he'd have to relearn the whole scheme of who invented what.

I may be wrong here but I think I read or heard somewhere that he now writes poetry.

If anybody could pick up the mantle and create the sequel it would be Paul Kim (PK) or Don Keller since they invented many of those inovations or played a part in them. Perhaps Tony Maglica and Norm Nelson could lend a hand.