A Collection Of Runtime Graphs

Gene43

Enlightened
The 2-3D regulator is actually a boost that is hardset to output 5v no matter the input voltage. The IC has a built in switch with a self imposed current limit. It needs about 3.3-3.5v for 1000ma output. Above/below that the switch current limit creates more/less output according to (following) input voltage.

Thanks, Gene

Burgess

Flashaholic
Sure would like to see that Malkoff 2-D cell Mag-lite

compared to the New 2-D cell Mag-lite LED (Rebel) flashlight.

:)
_

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened
Sure would like to see that Malkoff 2-D cell Mag-lite compared to the New 2-D cell Mag-lite LED (Rebel) flashlight.

:)
_

Indeed. and how the 2 cell alkaline Malkoff would compare to the 2 cell alkaline Terralux TLE6-EXB.

Kind regards and thanks again for posting these runtime graphs!

Joris

Sorry guys, it probably won't happen. I don't want to purchase the new Maglites as they don't have the same internals as the originals; the only reason I'd purchase one is to test it. Also, I sold my Terralux TLE6-EXB. :shrug:

C.P.T.

Last edited:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not even the new multi-level MiniMag Rebel LED? :poke:

Or if you feel ambitious, how about starting on some Fenix lights...say the L1D Q5? ;)

JamisonM

Enlightened
Not even the new multi-level MiniMag Rebel LED? :poke:

Or if you feel ambitious, how about starting on some Fenix lights...say the L1D Q5? ;)
Why not set something up. Send BigWaffles the light and let him get a chart. He sends the light back and posts the info.

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened
Why not set something up. Send BigWaffles the light and let him get a chart. He sends the light back and posts the info.

JamisonM,

That's a good idea, unfortunately I'll be packing up and heading to the sand box here shortly and will have to put things on hold until this fall. Just when things were getting interesting.

C.P.T.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
JamisonM,

That's a good idea, unfortunately I'll be packing up and heading to the sand box here shortly and will have to put things on hold until this fall. Just when things were getting interesting.

C.P.T.

Thanks for your work here. Keep safe.

Bill

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Big_Waffles --

Best of Luck (and health) to you and your loved ones
during your new assignment.

:wave:

_

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on these runtime graph's, I moved my Malkoff's out of my 3D's and put them in my 2D's. It is hard to argue with 33 hours at over 4000 lux in such a small package.

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your work here. Keep safe.

Bill

Ditto. Post when you get back. I've got one of the craftsman 1-5 cell PR drop-ins that I've swapped the luxeon I with a seoul P4. I'd like to see the numbers on it when you get back.

to Big_Waffles --

Best of Luck (and health) to you and your loved ones
during your new assignment.

:wave:

_

Thanks for the support, I appreciate it.

Based on these runtime graph's, I moved my Malkoff's out of my 3D's and put them in my 2D's. It is hard to argue with 33 hours at over 4000 lux in such a small package.

I'm doing somthing similar but I want to keep my 3D Maglite host so I'm going to run a dummy D cell in the 3D Maglite. The closest thing I've found for a dummy D is an AA to D adapter with a dummy AA cell. I'm going to dismantle a spent D cell this weekend and see if I can't take the end caps and attach them to a piece of PVC with a center connector. Should be interesting.

C.P.T.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your work here and especially overseas is much appreciated! :twothumbs

Take care of yourself and be safe...I look forward to you coming back and picking up where you left off. :)

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a compilation of the 2D, 3D, 4D, and 6D Maglites with the Malkoff drop-in running on Titanium 12000MaH NiMHs.

Again, the 2D Maglite seems to be a "Best Value" for runtime and brightness.

I did something interesting here, I calculated the area under each curve to get an idea of how efficient each config is. I used the NiMH chart.
Then I divided that number by the number of the cells in the setup.

It does confirm the obvious that 2D gives you most lite - less bright but longest runtime.

But it also suggests that there is no huge difference in efficiency between 3D, 4D and 6D configurations. It looks like sorted by efficiency we get:
2D, 4D, 3D, 6D

2D:
149/2 = 74.50000000000000000000

3D:
132/3 = 44.00000000000000000000

4D:
199/4 = 49.75000000000000000000

6D:
245/6 = 40.83333333333333333333

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is one of the greatest threads ever!

Big Waffles,

If you haven't left yet, could you do a runtime test on the Malkoff 4 to 6 D drop-in in a 3D cell Mag?

I would be interested to see what happens to the output / runtime in this configuration.

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened
This is one of the greatest threads ever!

Big Waffles,

If you haven't left yet, could you do a runtime test on the Malkoff 4 to 6 D drop-in in a 3D cell Mag?

I would be interested to see what happens to the output / runtime in this configuration.

I could probably squeeze it in before I pack up the test station. Let me see what I can do.

C.P.T.