A Collection Of Runtime Graphs

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened
Ok, it finally died. Here is the Mag 3D with a Malkoff 4-6D drop-in running on Energizer Alkalines. The graphtimes are in hours.

Mag3D-4-6DMalkoff-Alkaline.jpg

This is by far the longest running combo I've tested. 45hrs to 3000Lux and almost 180hrs to 500Lux. The graph isn't very flat but still produces useful light for a long time. Full graph and .xls is up on the website in my sig.

C.P.T.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
hmmm... run a 4-6d malkoff on 2 batts and we'll get ridiculous runtime, hmmm? actually i bet it would just fall off faster, then run almost as long but not quite.

best thread on cpf! keep up the good work bw

steveG

Enlightened
Re: Want to post some runtime graphs

Am I missing something, or does the M60LL actually last 10 hours longer than the Malkoff website says it's supposed to?

Malkoffdevices.com said:
The output is 80+/- bulb lumens. The current draw is approximately 170ma at 6 volts. The runtime is approximately 8 hours, at full output, on 2 CR123 primary batteries.

Here's a compilation graph (these sure are cool) showing the differences between the Surefire 6P & G3L hosts and the Surefire P60L and Malkoff M60LL modules. All tests were run on Surefire primaries.

Compilation-Surefire6P-G3LED.jpg

Strictly for runtime, Malkoff hit a homerun with this drop-in. 18hrs in a 6P and 13.5hrs in the G3L with very good regulation.

As far as the beams go, the difference between the 6P with the P60L and the M60LL was quite noticable. There is over 2000Lux difference and it shows. On the other hand, the difference between the two modules was hardly noticeable on the G3L. The P60L had a little more spill than the M60LL but the hotspots were identical.

I really liked the Surefire P60L in my G3L but I'm completely sold on the Malkoff M60LL. Better output and over twice the runtime. Unfortunately, now that I have the low power/long running module I'm going to have to get a regular M60 for high power to balance it out.

Does anybody else have one flashlight that they swap heads/drop-ins as needed or is it just easier to have multiple flashlights each with a deadicated module? Thanks.

C.P.T.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
After looking at the 3D Mag with the 4D to 6D Malkoff, I am very, very impressed. The runtime curve is the same as the 2D with the 2D to 3D Malkoff only longer and this is exactly what I was hoping for.

I really love the Malkoff Mag's! Nothing like them for long running, good output lighting. CR123's just can't do this the way that the big lights with big batteries can. Time to buy some more Malkoff's!

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
"The runtime is approximately 8 hours, at full output, on 2 CR123 primary batteries."

The key phrase is "at full output" - you will see a longer run at a diminishing output as the batteries slowly die.

If I understand the question correctly.

-Trevor

steveG

Enlightened
I suppose you're right, I'm just shocked by the fact that it has what I would consider virtually flat output for about 18 hours. Impressive.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I will keep my 3D Malkoff, even though some of these are also pretty impressive, like 4D (to me, anyway)

Does anybody else have one flashlight that they swap heads/drop-ins as needed or is it just easier to have multiple flashlights each with a deadicated module? Thanks.

I just don't use M*g enough ever since I got the Surefire 9P and modules. To answer your question, easier to have several different lites. I have several P60 Malkoff modules:

1. Standard M60
2. M60 modded to run on 12V (i. e. 4x123 cells) Same lumens but longer runtime.
3. M30 that I run on 3xAA - great lumens with a long tail

Hard to say which one I like more. Am thinking about a M60LL designed to run on 12V - now that would be some runtime.

Anyway, most excellent info, thanks for all the work.

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Ok, it finally died. Here is the Mag 3D with a Malkoff 4-6D drop-in running on Energizer Alkalines. The graphtimes are in hours.

Mag3D-4-6DMalkoff-Alkaline.jpg

This is by far the longest running combo I've tested. 45hrs to 3000Lux and almost 180hrs to 500Lux. The graph isn't very flat but still produces useful light for a long time. Full graph and .xls is up on the website in my sig.

C.P.T.

Man, I gotta tell you after reading this, I took apart a 3D Mag85 and put the Mag back to stock, and I have the 4-6D module on the way from Gene Malkoff. :eek:

This is gonna be a great hurricane light!

Just for reference, what light tops out at 500 lux?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
BigWaffles, could you superimpose the graph of the 2-3D Malkoff graph running 3D on alkalines along with the 3D running the 4-6D Malkoff with alkalines? Thanks! :party:

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened
BigWaffles, could you superimpose the graph of the 2-3D Malkoff graph running 3D on alkalines along with the 3D running the 4-6D Malkoff with alkalines? Thanks! :party:

PoliceScannerMan

Here you go. This is the 3D Maglite running on Alkalines. It has the 2-3D Malkoff and the 4-6D Malkoff. I've also included the 2D Maglite with the 2-3D Malkoff on Alkalines for comparison. The scale is in hours.

CompilationMag3D-2_34_6Malkoff-Alka.jpg

As you can see, the 2-3D Malkoff in the 3D Mag drops off relatively fast (13hrs) while the 4-6D just keeps going. I threw the 2D Mag with the 2-3D Malkoff in because I noticed that up until 33hrs it has an identical graph to the 3D Mag with the 4-6D Malkoff (Just slightly lower). I wonder if they share some of the same parts.

Looks like the 3D Mag with the 4-6D Malkoff is a good combo. Over 3000Lux for 45hrs and then another 12hrs of very usable light. In an extreme emergency, you know you'll have over 150hrs of usable 'indoor' light. Might not light up the front yard but it'll get you around the house.

For reference, the Fenix E01 puts out appx. 750lux. It lights up a small room fairly well so I figure that 500Lux is a good lower limit.

All these graphs and the .xls spreadsheets are available on the website at the bottom of my post. Enjoy.

C.P.T.

Latest posts