A few Mule questions...(and Haiku)

McGizmo

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Don. Is this calibration function apply to your 6V light engine?

I can only repeat and pass on what I understand about these converters as passed on to me but the 6V converter does not have a calibration mode based on "initializing" relative to the Vf of the specific LED. From the get go it just provides the three levels and there is no need or means of entering a calibration mode. The yet to be released 1.5V converter that is in production now that I will be using for the single AA lights also has a calibration mode like the 3S does.

sobrnola

sobrnola

Newly Enlightened
Here ya go the backside of my mule head
amerepud.jpg

sobrnola

sobrnola

Newly Enlightened
Just to clarify, Don himself said that a stock Mule head does indeed have the above mentioned calibration mode. That being said, what are we trying to prove by looking at the reverse side of my Mule's head? The "dimming" never bothered me, I only posted here to see if anyone else had the same experience and it was confirmed. I personally have moved on and am enjoying the light daily. What are you guys are looking for?

BenChiew

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sobrnola. We have you to thank for highlighting this, without which, we would not have learned anything new. We know that you have a Mule that displayed the ramping sequence which Don subsequently confirmed that it is a feature in his 3S Light Engine. On the same note DatiLED has also indicated that this is also present in the GDuP light engine sold by the Shoppe.
We are aware that none of you are concerned about this but being enthusiast, the hunger for information and knowledge sometimes gets the better of us. What you have may not be Don's light engine but one from the Shoppe (which also has this ramping feature). Not that it is a problem, but just wanting to know what it really is.
So, the questions are more scholastic in nature rather than anything else.
Hope this clears things up.

sobrnola

sobrnola

Newly Enlightened
Sobrnola. We have you to thank for highlighting this, without which, we would not have learned anything new. We know that you have a Mule that displayed the ramping sequence which Don subsequently confirmed that it is a feature in his 3S Light Engine. On the same note DatiLED has also indicated that this is also present in the GDuP light engine sold by the Shoppe.
We are aware that none of you are concerned about this but being enthusiast, the hunger for information and knowledge sometimes gets the better of us. What you have may not be Don's light engine but one from the Shoppe (which also has this ramping feature). Not that it is a problem, but just wanting to know what it really is.
So, the questions are more scholastic in nature rather than anything else.
Hope this clears things up.
I understand now. I am also interested to see if my LE is not stock now...

BenChiew

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately I don't know enough to conclusively say either or. I am fairly new to this and only know after the PD era. The 3S was why the PD era ended. So the early 3S is not familiar to me.
Just have to wait up till some guru chimes in. :)

Last edited:
McGizmo

McGizmo

Flashaholic
That is not one of my light engines.

gunga

gunga

Flashaholic
Yep. Just out of interest. Not looking for anything. A gdup is a great driver, I have one in my Haiku.

Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was easy to see through the glow epoxy to see the huge wires...nothing like Don's work. Also, I don't know that he ever had an Aleph mule release per se...much less with an XP-E, XR-E style LED like you show there. I don't know what LED it is precisely, but the wiring did not look right.

I do love Don's mules...all mules.

The beauty of the Aleph head it that it can take another LE as easy as one two three.

obi

Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it works for you...give you the light you want...why not?

I am only saying that when you decide to upgrade, that is easy peasy.

Is it a Ti host (titanium)?

obi

sobrnola

sobrnola

Newly Enlightened
Nickel plated aluminium I believe. So it would be easy to switch it back to a mcgizmo le?

archimedes

archimedes

Moderator,
Staff member
CPF Supporter
Nickel plated aluminium I believe. So it would be easy to switch it back to a mcgizmo le?

EN version, or "oil-slick" ?

Very easy ... Aleph-compatible LE just screw into the head assembly :)

sobrnola

sobrnola

Newly Enlightened
Guy I bought it from said EN. How much would that LE cost with a good 5000k or higher led?