A headlamp for work and fishing?

a4d

a4d

Enlightened
Hey all, I know I have asked this before a while back but was pretty much broke at that time. I now have some extra cash and was wondering if you could all lend me a hand. I'm looking to purchase a headlamp for night fishing as well as for work. Hurricane season is here and I need a dependable headlamp. I work on generators so usually there is absolutely no light around because power is out and so is generator. My basic needs would be something rather floody, witha decent spot (no need to be a thrower) can be dimmed LOW for that night time crap my fishing line broke don't want to blind myself type of light. But also high enough to find my way through woods to a generator. Battery form does not matter to me, nor does the cost really. I just need it to last and make sure it works. I mean if it doesnt work and i'm at a hospital with an outage i'm up that creek without a paddle. Thanks all.

F

funkychateau

Enlightened
Hey all, I know I have asked this before a while back but was pretty much broke at that time. I now have some extra cash and was wondering if you could all lend me a hand. I'm looking to purchase a headlamp for night fishing as well as for work. Hurricane season is here and I need a dependable headlamp. I work on generators so usually there is absolutely no light around because power is out and so is generator. My basic needs would be something rather floody, witha decent spot (no need to be a thrower) can be dimmed LOW for that night time crap my fishing line broke don't want to blind myself type of light. But also high enough to find my way through woods to a generator. Battery form does not matter to me, nor does the cost really. I just need it to last and make sure it works. I mean if it doesnt work and i'm at a hospital with an outage i'm up that creek without a paddle. Thanks all.

Check out the Zebralight H52 series. Very bright, but also very wide range of dimming capability. Small, AA power source, long battery life.

D

dss_777

Enlightened
Consider any of the ZL headlights if you're wanting longer runtime and/or higher output. Some come with need to deal with rechargeables, but if you're willing to do that, the options increase.

Another option is the Petzl Nao- has some intriguing features that may work well for you.

Finally, having a second light for backup is mandatory. Even the best gear can fail. If it were me, I'd get something that uses the same batteries as the primary, for obvious reasons.

R

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
.... I just need it to last and make sure it works. I mean if it doesnt work and i'm at a hospital with an outage i'm up that creek without a paddle...

Zebralight and Spark make some great headlamps, and with their electronic switches, have very nice UIs - I would stick to these two brands if you want a dedicate headlamp with good efficient sub-/low- lumen modes. However, just from reading these forums for a while, I get the sense that electronic switches tend to be less reliable and they will leave the light dead in the water if/when they fail, and perhaps that is also reflected in the short warranties offered by these companies. Clickies and their rubber boots are the most significant moving part and wear item, resulting it being the most frequent failure point on a light. I cannot argue that a mechanical clicky is any more reliable, but at least it can be easily by-passed, and cheaply user-replaced.

I'm a camper with a headlamp background, but have moved over to using traditional flashlight in aftermarket/DIY headbands for the much broader selection, mechanical clicky, and better warranty/customer service.

a4d

a4d

Enlightened
Alright thanks all, i'm gonna go over to ZL's site to check em out. Where would be the best place to purchase one? The one thing I'm never short of is lights in my work van HAHA. I carry on me a Sunwayman V-11R Mirage, a Fenix L2D, a Rayovac sportsman, and a Mag 2 D. Used to have an energizer headlamp I picked up during Hurricane sandy because I needed something then and there but I lost it.

Also what's the difference from lights with the designation "F" on them versus ones without?

Last edited:
P_A_S_1

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your ok with the price and the size/weight, Surefire Minimus meets your requirements. I've had very good results with their customer service and their lights I've had to date have been reliable and problem free.

P_A_S_1

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also what's the difference from lights with the designation "F" on them versus ones without?

Not 100% sure but the 'F' probably means flood.

think2x

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast

P_A_S_1 is correct, "f" is for flood at least on the Zebralight.

If your ok with the price and the size/weight, Surefire Minimus meets your requirements. I've had very good results with their customer service and their lights I've had to date have been reliable and problem free.

100% agree with this. My only headlamp at the moment is a Minimus Vision.

T

tonkem

Enlightened
You can get the Zebralights from a couple of dealers. Check out the marketplace for dealers that carry them. You might also check out Lupine headlamps, much more money, but rock solid and wicked bright!

a4d

a4d

Enlightened
Ok seems like the consensus is between ZL, and SF, I've looked at both and obviously like them both. It's a tough choice. If the SF Maximus wasn't rechargable I'd probably shoot for that but I do not want rechargebale. So It basically comes down to doing a little more research between the two and just make a choice. I'm gonna try and pick on by tomorrow so I can have it by next week. Thanks everyone for your input.