A light that is tough and armored up. Also outputs a decent amount of light

JayCee3313

Newly Enlightened
All my flash lights seem to get ruined pretty quickly since they are used for many situations...and maybe a few drop accidents.

Ishango

Enlightened
Can you give us a hint on your budget and what you've used before?

I you want something that is both bright with good battery runtime which is tough there are a lot of choices. The best of the best in durable lights are HDS Systems, Elzetta and Surefire lights (and a few more brands), but these can get costly. If your budget is smaller than that, Olight and Fenix make lights that can take a beating as well, but are not in the same category. If you want to go low budget there is the Rayovac Indestructible (branded Varta in the EU) series, which are hard to beat for that amount of money.

stokaboka

Newly Enlightened
Armytek Predator Pro ~$100. Tough as hell, good throw and you can program the interface to have as many different modes as you want.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
An Elzetta has been used to hammer nails and reportedly survived a 50+ foot drop out of a helicopter.

Granted, they're not cheap, but if you abuse your lights, you will definitely get your money's worth.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yo, TMedina, TheFraz has some SUPER solid lights too. I forgot to mention that in my prior post. One could hammer nails with it too. Not sure this fellow is interested in a custom 26650 light and all that comes with that. So that's why I say we need more info. Like what are the individuals preferences. But, you know how that goes. 4 posts, and they haven't returned. I guess they found what they are looking for. :thinking:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yo, TMedina, TheFraz has some SUPER solid lights too. I forgot to mention that in my prior post. One could hammer nails with it too. Not sure this fellow is interested in a custom 26650 light and all that comes with that. So that's why I say we need more info. Like what are the individuals preferences. But, you know how that goes. 4 posts, and they haven't returned. I guess they found what they are looking for. :thinking:

I wouldn't assume that he isn't coming back, yet. Not everyone has instant updates/checks e-mail every fifteen minutes. It has only been eight hours...

Elzetta, Armytek, and Fraz's custom light are all very good suggestions. But you guys are right, we definitely need more info. Even before cost, we need to know what power/size he is looking for. It is a lot easier to make a small light tough, than it is to make a large light tough. Plenty of keychain lights can survive any kind of drop you subject them to, repeatedly. But if he need a lot of lumens, that narrows the choices considerably...

JayCee3313

Newly Enlightened
All of that really helped! I'm glad you posted the different budgets, because I'm at a medium to low budget right now. As for power just something decent or above. Size can be anything, but a bigger size flashlight is usually what I prefer.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Last edited:

JayCee3313

Newly Enlightened
Well honestly all the suggestions helped and I'll probably go with the Elzetta! Something bigger is preferred, but the smaller size ones still work.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff.
The elzetta is tough, but the elzetta uses a malkoff module. So i like to give the cheer to the maker of this incredible tough drop in module...Gene Malkoff.
I have not yet seen a torture test of the new elzetta, the one they made 100% by themself.

JayCee3313

Newly Enlightened
Well Elzetta is a pretty tough flash light from what I've seen in reviews! I need to get this light before Friday comes which is when I go camping.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
In terms of US dollars, what is your budget? You said medium to low, but that's relative. You're talking about getting an Elzetta which, in my opinion, is on the higher end of the price spectrum.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cland hit it in one. Elzettas are tanks, but they're fairly priced for that durability - expensive, in other words.

If you want a solid performer on short notice, get a Rayovac Indestructible x2 AA from Home Depot. Runs on two AA batteries, tough enough for most uses, will run you $15. Great intro light for most folks. Granted, it won't survive being used to hammer nails or being dropped out of an airplane, but you're going camping, not on a deployment to the middle of Podunkistan.

In order to get an Elzetta in three days, you'd need to pay a premium in express shipping or find a store near you that carries them.

JayCee3313

Newly Enlightened
I checked out the Rayovac and I am glad you recommended it! I'll probably use that for camping since I won't have enough time to pick myself up a Elzetta. As for my budget I would PREFER to stay in the $50 range and below, but I know I'll be dishing out a lot more for an Elzetta.

Peace Train

Enlightened
Fill out the flashlight questionnaire to give us a better idea of exactly what you're looking for. Also, let us know what brands you've had in the past that weren't holding up. There are lots of great lights in the $50 range, especially with promos, coupons, and sales. And have fun camping!