A McGizmo Haiku XP-G review...is this the new standard for EDC Lights? You decide!

gunga

Flashaholic
A McGizmo Haiku XP-G review...is this the new standard for EDC Lights? You dec

Thanks guys. I want to post a few more pics, when I have time. It does get light carry so won't look polished and perfect.

The slots were machined by Mohanjude. The trits are 1.5x6mm. I don't think he does that anymore so suggest Jeff Hanko.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Gorgeous light but your title did ask a question. I find the ui somewhat outmoded by rotary ui or electronic ui allowing jumping directly to a number of potentially desired modes. That said... I'd love one.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You make a great point. I am enamored with the HDS Rotary and the Zebralight UIs. But what's interesting is that I wrote this over 6 years ago, and the Haiku is still the gold standard for custom lights. 5 year old Haikus are as desirable as brand new one.

Alas, I currently don't have one, but that may have to change soon now that the HIVE converter is available.

scout24

Flashaholic
I understand what recDNA says, but such is the beauty of a linear three modes with memory, and a clicky. Simplicity, and nothing's more than click taptap away. :) I love the Zebralight UI, and the HDS Rotary, but this works as well imvho.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
You make a great point. I am enamored with the HDS Rotary and the Zebralight UIs. But what's interesting is that I wrote this over 6 years ago, and the Haiku is still the gold standard for custom lights. 5 year old Haikus are as desirable as brand new one.

Alas, I currently don't have one, but that may have to change soon now that the HIVE converter is available.

Well put run4jc.
For me though, the 3S is still number one compared to the Hive for the very reasons you have stated.
I see there's a nice well used 119V model available in the sale forum currently ;)

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand what recDNA says, but such is the beauty of a linear three modes with memory, and a clicky. Simplicity, and nothing's more than click taptap away. :) I love the Zebralight UI, and the HDS Rotary, but this works as well imvho.

So true scout24.
I'm a fan of HDS and programmable drivers etc but the Haiku in all its simplicity and so on is just so close to perfect really. Don McLeish is the master of torch (flashlight) design.

ven

Flashaholic
F89 , i presume you have tested yours at depth? One thing i have noticed is how tight the head is over the thick O ring , inspires confidence in the water department. The HDS is also quite a secure/tight fit, but not quite in the same league as the haiku.

Very nice trio run:D

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
F89 , i presume you have tested yours at depth? One thing i have noticed is how tight the head is over the thick O ring , inspires confidence in the water department. The HDS is also quite a secure/tight fit, but not quite in the same league as the haiku.

Very nice trio run:D

More than my wallet would like :whistle:
I've tested them in depth but not at depth though. I have however got them thoroughly wet but not dived with them.
HDS are awesome no doubt but the Haiku is something else.

ven

Flashaholic
:laughing:

I like both a lot tbh, love the rotary UI and HI CRI tint, clip on the haiku is amazing! Thanks to Sean my gizmo has a 4000k xp-l HI and programmable driver which is awesome! Both make excellent EDC lights so i just rotate them with a few others .

blanex1

Newly Enlightened
love the photography work,probably i'll end up getting one of these vary soon! if my wallet lets me.:mecry:

blanex1

Newly Enlightened
get this only if money is no problem! otherwise i find my malkoff MDC fits the bill for EDC use,just my thought on it.:sssh:

jkid1911

Enlightened
get this only if money is no problem! otherwise i find my malkoff MDC fits the bill for EDC use,just my thought on it.:sssh:

I've donated quite a few pints of the red stuff in order to afford mine but it was well worth it! :devil:

rickyro

Enlightened

Why did you sell your Haiku?

In my understanding, the new HIVE does not change much the clicky UI of original Haiku or the whole portfolio of McGizmo. What makes Haiku so different is the material used, mechanical works, design, and especially the lens.

I have one Haiku XP-G AA. Even I don't use it as much as HDS Rotary Nichia 215 due to the much superior UI of Rotary, but I don't think I am going to sell my Haiku.

Last edited:

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I have always admired Haiku's. I think I want a mule. I have found this size light to be perfect. I love the Hanko Trident.

For those with the new HIVE, how hard was it to solder the jumper? Is the programming difficult. Have you found the HIVE to be an improvement over the 3s?

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always admired Haiku's. I think I want a mule. I have found this size light to be perfect. I love the Hanko Trident.

For those with the new HIVE, how hard was it to solder the jumper? Is the programming difficult. Have you found the HIVE to be an improvement over the 3s?

I simply used the graphite from a pencil lead to close the jumper. Easy peasy and easily reversible.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why did you sell your Haiku?

In my understanding, the new HIVE does not change much the clicky UI of original Haiku or the whole portfolio of McGizmo. What makes Haiku so different is the material used, mechanical works, design, and especially the lens.

I have one Haiku XP-G AA. Even I don't use it as much as HDS Rotary Nichia 215 due to the much superior UI of Rotary, but I don't think I am going to sell my Haiku.

Fickle flashaholism. I've owned probably 6-8 Haikus of varying configuration through the years. And I'll probably own another one someday soon. I love Don's business model and I love his products. IF he had a Haiku with the standard 3S driver with a 219B emitter - same bin as the Aeon MKIII - I'd buy it right now. If it had the HIVE driver that would be gravy.

I wish I still had one, but things change....and I never say never.