Automotive A question about Daniel Stern

JTMcC

Newly Enlightened
Does he ever answer emails? I've sent four over the last couple years, asking for pricing on different products, and have never received any reply. So I've bought elsewhere.

Does he have a phone number?

JTMcC

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does he ever answer emails? I've sent four over the last couple years, asking for pricing on different products, and have never received any reply.

He's answered my emails, so I guess I can say he does. Four emails, all going unanswered, might mean that all four somehow triggered a spam filter.

It does not appear he has made his phone number public.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Ditto here -- when I email him he often replies within minutes (sometimes at extreme times of day/night), but if not it's usually within a couple of days. It sounds like your emails might not be getting through; what address have you been using? You might try [email protected] .

ops5

Newly Enlightened
I just recently purchased a set of Cibie h4's from him. It took him no more than a day to get back to me via email

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hit or miss for me. Sometimes I get a reply back immediately, sometimes not at all.

JTMcC

Newly Enlightened
Ditto here -- when I email him he often replies within minutes (sometimes at extreme times of day/night), but if not it's usually within a couple of days. It sounds like your emails might not be getting through; what address have you been using? You might try [email protected] .

That address worked, he got back to me with pricing.
I was begining to think he was a mythical creature in an elaborate interweb hoax : )
J

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I don't know about a mythical creature, but if I didn't know him in person (and I'm still not 100% sure!) I might suspect "Daniel Stern" of being some kind of AI.

Truth be told, I think the problem is he's a victim of his own insistence on personal service -- see the blurb at the top of his products page: no shopping card or any other kind of automated ordering, etc. Beyond a certain point, that's got to become unsustainable just based on volume.

JTMcC

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about a mythical creature, but if I didn't know him in person (and I'm still not 100% sure!) I might suspect "Daniel Stern" of being some kind of AI.

Truth be told, I think the problem is he's a victim of his own insistence on personal service -- see the blurb at the top of his products page: no shopping card or any other kind of automated ordering, etc. Beyond a certain point, that's got to become unsustainable just based on volume.

Right-o, I've spent considerable time perusing his site, and his status is constantly spreading due to the webs.
What would be nice, is for every product he has for sale to be listed on the site. His reputation as far as I see is that he doesn't sell junk or unsuitable stuff, so it would be nice to view what he has available for sale, even if you have to make contact to actually purchase.
I appreciate the information that's there, as well as on this forum. Just would like to see all options available to buy.
But it's "still" America, everbody is free to do business as they choose. I certainly do.
I get the impression it's a part time gig for him, and he has a day job.

J

eggsalad

Enlightened

I've met him. I've bought a car from him, as well as lots of lighting bits. I've also *sold* him lighting gear. I'm pretty sure he's real - at least his payments clear!

eggsalad

Enlightened
What kind? And what headlamps did it have on it? :)

Gosh, Headlight Guy, it was a long time ago. It was a 1985 (maybe) Volvo 245 Turbo wagon. It did indeed have headlights, 4 of them, in the 4x6 format. What kind were they? Hell if I remember!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
A turbocharged refrigerator-on-its side? Yeah, that sounds like Stern; his taste in cars seems quirky but defensible. I think he still has an old Volvo, but I'm not sure what kind.

Ofelas

Enlightened
Nothing but rapid & helpful email responses from him over the past few weeks, very impressed.

Mummer43

Newly Enlightened
Does he ever answer emails? I've sent four over the last couple years, asking for pricing on different products, and have never received any reply. So I've bought elsewhere.

Does he have a phone number?

JTMcC

We've exchanged a few emails with a couple days. I'm sure he get a lot of inquiries.

JTMcC

Newly Enlightened
Maybe not though he has no reason not to, he also doesn't like my dollars.

I've been in business for almost 23 years now, and have a pretty good understanding of customer service. What I get from Stern, regardless of reputation on this site or the service others have recieved, is poor and unnaceptable. Specially when other vendors are willing to take my money.

That's my take based on several decades of customer service observation. Two years and a "special" email address from a personal friend to make initial contact? I'll spend my buck elsewhere thanks.

No service and no help from D Stern in my (antecdotal) case for over 2 years. I won't buy from the guy regardless. Search the webs, I'm not an isolated case. He get's to run his business as he pleases. I get to spend my dollar as I please. It's the American way.

Maybe if I was "special" like you : )

J

opus

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I've been dealing with him for a week now and he has been extremely helpful. I must be special. ;)

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I've been in business for almost 23 years now, and have a pretty good understanding of customer service. What I get from Stern, regardless of reputation on this site or the service others have recieved, is poor and unnaceptable (...) Two years and a "special" email address from a personal friend to make initial contact? I'll spend my buck elsewhere thanks.

Don't get me wrong, I have my own list of "never buy from" vendors and service providers, but I don't understand what you're saying here. You tried for two years to reach Stern...without success? Or you reached him and he's been treating you poorly/unacceptably for two years? Or something else?

He definitely has some unusual policies. On more than one occasion I've sent someone to him, then heard back from one or both sides that whatever deal was in the making didn't get made. Usually because the customer wanted to do a bad idea ("HID kit", etc.), Stern said no, the buyer said something like "The customer is always right", Stern refused to sell parts he knew the customer would use in an unsafe manner, and then the customer and Stern parted ways without any money or product changing hands. Some of these incidents make their way onto the web from one party or the other, and they can be entertaining (or hair-raising, depending on your POV) to read. Stern's got a mouth on him, for sure, the kind that makes some people want to cheer and applaud, and some people want to give him the finger.

Me, I'm glad to be on his good side. Almost every time I've needed lighting product or advice, he's provided exactly the right stuff at reasonable prices within a reasonable timeframe. Those few times he hasn't, it was either because of situations beyond his control (what I wanted was no longer manufactured) or because he talked me out of what I had thought I wanted. I don't resent that, by the way -- in my experience he doesn't blow smoke...if he says not to do something, he gives good, solid reasons why not. I've done well by following his advice.

Your mileage may vary!

JTMcC

Newly Enlightened
Don't get me wrong, I have my own list of "never buy from" vendors and service providers, but I don't understand what you're saying here. You tried for two years to reach Stern...without success?

Exactly that.
I sent several emails using the link on his site asking for pricing and availability on different things that I've read (on this forum) that he sells, but they aren't shown on his website. Nothing out of the ordinary, just products recommended here.

Like I said, I get the impression it's a part time business, maybe not.

After a certain period of time I bought elsewhere.

J

Latest posts