A Tribute to Nitecore D10

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gosh...thinking back to lights past I might miss the Nitecore D10 the most. Perfect size to output ratio. Great construction, nifty switch mechanism... what a light!

Indeed. I never should have sold off my initial collection. Totally regretting it now. I'm trying to start it back up again, and though I have more models of the D10 (and EX10/11) now, nearly all of them have some sort of use or wear on them. My initial collection were all new condition lights. Oh well. Makes the chase more interesting, I guess. Thanks for bringing this thread back up.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed. I never should have sold off my initial collection. Totally regretting it now. I'm trying to start it back up again, and though I have more models of the D10 (and EX10/11) now, nearly all of them have some sort of use or wear on them. My initial collection were all new condition lights. Oh well. Makes the chase more interesting, I guess. Thanks for bringing this thread back up.

I was looking at the swissbianco pics in this thread and remembering how I used to have a few of em back in the day. Cest la vie! Hope to grab one to fiddle around with again for nostalgia sake. Good luck in your hunt!

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stilk use mine. Led is a neutral xp-l hi.
1jGZ19B.jpg

Snapper314

Newly Enlightened
Reminds me that I need to contact Nitecore to see if they can repair my damaged D10.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love mine, but last week it stopped working. When tightend down it givesnoff a brief flash then does not power on. The first time it happened it was flashing every 10 seconds but now it only gives the one flash and then refuses to turn on. Nitecore CS says it cannot help since it's not in production. I took it apart, wiped piston, wiped o ring, cleaned inside of body , tried removing the o ring, pushed around the brass ring.... nothing has helped.
Im sad at the loss of this light, one of my favorites with my Zebralight, another old schooler at this point. Any thoughts before selling for parts on EBay?

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I've read it's not that hard to modify. Could be just to solder joint. Take it apart whatever you got to lose

archimedes

Flashaholic
No worries, I'll tidy up the thread later.

Hopefully, CPF can help get this nice torch fixed up for you :)

EDIT - several off-topic posts were removed, linking to a "Good Deal" that had expired

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love mine, but last week it stopped working.

consider buying an EX11.2 model and swapping drivers to your D10. It looks like the electronics are the same, there is just a difference in the diameter of the driver, that could be adjusted.. (I have not tried yet)
Hy7TX2ul.jpg

the 11.2 driver has a wider output range than the 10.0 models. And the lower low of the D version on AA, is directly related to the battery voltage.

YUF2m4sl.jpg

fwiw, this video showing how to remove the pill of a D10 makes the process more difficult than necessary, and does not work for EX models..

these are the techniques that work best, for me:
lXUivU8l.jpg

33vrOagl.jpg

D10 pill removal:

It is quite simple to unscrew the pill without removing the contact ring first:
hNgkT3Xl.png

Seeking help locating Battery Springs, as used in version 10 lights.

6PIe4jJl.jpg

The gold plated spring on the right is from an EX10 Ti and is softer than the nickel plated spring used in the EX11.2 models

For me, the softer spring from Version 10 lights, is much nicer to use, and it works with protected batteries. It is not necessary to limit the Piston Drive lights to unprotected batteries, when using the softer spring.

In my experience, the resistance of the piston in the 11.2 models is not fixed by lubrication of the piston sleeve.. the battery spring is the primary source of the piston resistance.

s1ue50ol.jpg

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Was using my D11.2 tonight. It's one my older lights that's always primed and ready to flash. I especially like its true moonlight level.

Geoff

Thanks!

I have three of the camo lights, all unique patterns and colors, amazing how they did that.

The only problem I have had is cell length. They are very fussy about the AAA length, have to find ones that work well.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love seeing this thread revived. Even if it's just for a little bit. Thanks for the contribution jon_slider. Wonderful post.

Zeruel. Not sure if you're still around the forums but if you see this, so you think we can somehow repost the pics to preserve this wonderful thread? I'd be willing to help with that somehow. Not sure how though.

1936jdb

Newly Enlightened
Glad to see there is still some interest in my all time favorite light. I found a few in a drawer last week.. I need to get them out and see if they still work. I switched to an MH20 for work just because I like the extra everything, and easy charging. But no light feels so right in my hand, or UI so perfect. I wish someone would make a D10 with an 18650 but last I spoke to Nitecore, the designs are all tied up in some legal action...? Maybe someday, I can dream. :sigh:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a damn perdy light, right there.

I was in awe. Finest fit and finish of any light I have handled. And every moving part, including the threads, are smooth as butter.

Next I put an sw45k into a D10:

WAmMvac.jpg