A Tribute to Nitecore D10

Tomahawk23

Newly Enlightened
First off excellent review! I too love this light.

I've been edc'ing the original D10 @ work for over a year now. I bought the R2 as a backup just in case I couldn't find another when this thing died. I've dropped the original at least a dozen times on concrete with no ill effects. I'm amazed every time I pick it up and it still works.

Lastly, where did you find the holster with the battery holder? I've been using the one from Fenix, but I'd love to get my hands on the one as pictured.

Thanks again for a very informative review. I've already bookmarked it!

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zeruel - that was clearly a labor of love.
What's next? :)

I will choose the light and in return, the light must choose me. (inspired by Avatar :laughing:)

Lastly, where did you find the holster with the battery holder? I've been using the one from Fenix, but I'd love to get my hands on the one as pictured.

It's a kydex holster. I got it from Lightknot at MP. He used it to holster Jetbeam CL-E originally. Warren from Litemania is selling all sorts of kydex holsters here. Not sure if he has an identical one as mine, you might want to ask him or if he has any that fits D10.

Simon520

Newly Enlightened
I HAVE AN XPE-R2 "SP" THAT HAS ORIGINAL UI!!!

Just received 3 D10's.

External packaging clearly states it is "MODEL: D10sp (R2 VERSION)", which is why I got so worked up at the seller for sending me SP's when I wanted the original UI. I paid $62 each shipped, and I was cracking mad that I had gotten SP's when I wanted the original UI.

I figured I would fire up the light and check out the new UI. I was amazed to see it ramping and had the same UI as my old D10.

I decided to take apart the light and see what was up.
They are second edition "SP" versions that are natural color HAIII.

Lettering on the unit is "SMART PD D10 R2" (WITHOUT THE "SP")

Light engine has a red circuit board like the picture of the SP, but the components are different from either the red or green board pictured on this site.

Piston is the updated second edition SP type with the smaller O-ring on the button of the piston, not the larger piston itself. Out of the box, it's easier to push.

Enclosed product warranty card states it is D10 XP-E R2 serial number C1218HK 000085

I'm very happy. I had previously emailed 4Sevens and even Nitecore directly, stating I could sell 100 of the original UI lights to customers and friends and wondered if I could special-order the original UI. The feedback I got from Nitecore was that they were going with the SP UI and that was that. 4Sevens couldn't help since they were out of stock.

I'm pretty stoked, since it appears I have a second edition SP version with the functional updates and the original UI. I'll have pictures of the unit and packaging later tonight when I get home.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::nana::nana::nana:

Last edited:

Simon520

Newly Enlightened
Yes, it's an XP-E R2. It even looks like one. I updated my post to add that info, so thanks for pointing out the deficit. :poke:

If it's a Chinese counterfeit, it's a pretty darn good one and I'd buy more.
:D

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've received the same report from another CPFer, pugga.

Not sure what's going on, but will wait and see what turns up. Or if any CPF/Nitecore dealers could shed some light on the matter....

pugga

Newly Enlightened
Hi Zeruel, i just posted instead of clogging up your fantastic tribute, i will try to get some pics up later.
Cheers pugga

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not clogging at all. :)
It's an interesting update.

Anyway, I've shot Nitecore an email with this matter.
Let's see if there's development... or not.

Last edited:

supasizefries

Enlightened
Wow, a very well thought out and informative post! :twothumbs I carry my JHanko made Ti D10 wherever I go. It's just so darn handy and useful....and pretty!

Simon520

Newly Enlightened
Here are the pictures of the SP 2nd edition that has the ramping (old) UI; I hope I'm not thrashing your thread, Zeruel. Feel free to delete these pics or move them if you'd like.

The new "SP" 2nd edition XP-E R2 that has the old ramping UI is on the right, and the last of the pre-SP D10 XR-E R2 is on the left. You can clearly see the new "SP" model has the 2nd edition piston. Both have light engine PC boards that are darn near identical save for the color. No, it's not photoshopped. The new model has the more OP reflector as well. I bought these new "SP" (that aren't SP) from a seller in Hong Kong via that auction site that shan't be named and had them shipped here. I assume the HK in the serial number means Hong Kong version. Yes, the black D10 is dirty and it's my EDC. :green:

NitecoreD10compare2.jpg

NitecoreD10compare3.jpg

NitecoreD10compare1.jpg

NitecoreD10compare8.jpg

NitecoreD10compare9.jpg

NitecoreD10compare4.jpg

NitecoreD10compare7.jpg

Last edited:

RocketTomato

Enlightened
I purchased a Nitecore D10 R2 recently and received the upgraded XP-E R2 version as well. However, it is has the old style piston but a newer body, similar to the SP ver1 body with the rounder lip on the head.

Sounds like Simon250's version is contained in a SP ver2 body.
Product Name on my Warranty Card is D10 XR-E R2.

pugga

Newly Enlightened
Mmm interesting my new D10 R2 is the same as Simon520 but it has the XR-E R2 from the first pic not the XP-E R2.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've received a reply from Nitecore.
They confirmed they only release D10 SP at the moment.

Apparently, this run with the ramping UI in the new body and packaging is a customised order from the distributor.
I have bought one from ebay which I hope is this hybrid version for me to include in a review update. :sweat:

They have also stated the ramping UI is discontinued for D10 but will be implemented in their future products.

Update: Ebay seller confirmed it's the hybrid that I'm going to receive. Although he calls it "olive" instead of "Light Natural". Yay! for me. Gulp! for review update.

Last edited:

pm91

Newly Enlightened
Update: Ebay seller confirmed it's the hybrid that I'm going to receive. Although he calls it "olive" instead of "Light Natural". Yay! for me. Gulp! for review update.

Hello Zeruel,
I'd like to purchase one, would you please share the name of the eBay seller?

Thanks,
p

jblackwood

Enlightened
I don't have a D10 but I do have what was a Q5 EX 10 the worst tint of just about any Cree I've owned, I had the light about 10 minutes before modding with a Q3 5A (at least these lights are very mod friendly) . . .

Yeah, my Q5 D10 has one of the worse green tints of all the AA lights I own, except for the Quark AA Ti R5 I have. Neither compare to the white i've gotten from other manufacturers. Heck, they all get their emitters from the same place, though, I guess some manufacturers go through them with a little more scrutiny?

The only reason I haven't traded out my Q5 is because it's one of four that have come through my hands that doesn't have inductor whine. That trumps any tint considerations I may have. No problems with either piston travel or function with either my Q5 or my GDP (I love it's profile, but the tint is violet, about the same as my LS20).

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing compilation. Thanks for putting this together!

I would like to add that I think abandoning the ramping UI is a tragedy.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, my Q5 D10 has one of the worse green tints of all the AA lights I own, except for the Quark AA Ti R5 I have. Neither compare to the white i've gotten from other manufacturers. Heck, they all get their emitters from the same place, though, I guess some manufacturers go through them with a little more scrutiny?

You've lost out in a lottery. Better luck next time. :p

I would like to add that I think abandoning the ramping UI is a tragedy.

Mostly agree. I'm still attached to the instant high (click + hold) and instant low (double click) instead of the tendency to cycle twice to confirm I get the highest, medium or lowest. But like I said, SP isn't too bad, just a matter of getting use to and for others who prefer a simpler setup.

Hello Zeruel,
I'd like to purchase one, would you please share the name of the eBay seller?

Thanks,
p

I'd suggest you wait for my confirmation that it's the hybrid version when it arrives.

Or we could ask Simon520 here who obviously has it in hand. ;)

Last edited: