A Tribute to Nitecore D10

timbo114

Enlightened
Ultimate Nitecore piston care ...

Polish with one fingertip full of this ... then lube the o ring with Krytox 50/50 = absolute mirror finish and ultimate buttery smoothness :twothumbs

I just did this in 2 minutes w/my finger, and wiped away the residue with a paper towel.
Check out that mirror finish and my fingernail reflection - I know I see the smudge too.

05106.jpg

DSCF2758.jpg
DSCF2763.jpg

Billet Metal Polish takes our world famous metal polish technology to a whole new level. State of the art cleaners and cutting edge formulation give your billet, forged and finely cast aluminum, brass and other polishable metals the absolute finest finish available—guaranteed.

*polish should turn as black as coal when being rubbed in - this IS normal.

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately it isn't possible to polish the inside of the body (as it is too small for a long enough finger)...

I guess the result would be better if you polished both sides of the potential contact surfaces! :D

pm91

Newly Enlightened
I've never used Billet before. Is it about the same as Flitz or is something different (better)?

Thanks,
p

timbo114

Enlightened
I think it's much better.
It has the look, feel, and consistency of Noxema skin cream.
Very light and a little goes a long way.

Mothers unconditionally guarantees Billet is the best polish you'll ever use on any polishable metal surface.

I can vouch for that statement. *Search Google for it and read the reviews.

Bass

Enlightened
Just received a response from HKequipment. The latest batch of D10 XP-E (not SP) are now black, not olive. :sssh:

Phantom502

Newly Enlightened
Just received a response from HKequipment. The latest batch of D10 XP-E (not SP) are now black, not olive. :sssh:

That is what another seller in the area told me also when I placed my order. I got an email back saying he only had black and was waiting for the color I ordered which was ??Olive?? I was hesitant to except black but was assured it was the same and I like black. Time will tell. My light was just shipped on the 7th of January. Hope to receive the light by the end of the month.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome review; thanks!

This one gave me a walk down memory lane. My old D10 Q5 is my most used light, not withstanding it's crappy beam profile with all it's Cree rings (I usually use a Poland Spring water bottle makeshift diffuser.). I just love the Piston design - smaller than a clickie, quiet and durable. Bravo Don!

I never realized that the designation SP was used before the new UI came along. I don't mind the new UI as I was never a fan of continuous variable output.

Has anyone heard of any plans to offer this in XPG-R5? Maybe it is finally time to shed the rings.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone heard of any plans to offer this in XPG-R5? Maybe it is finally time to shed the rings.

Check out the beam shots, the rings have been eliminated with XP-E and revised reflector. :naughty:

But yeah, we still hope it's going to be updated to R5 too. :D

Kenix

Newly Enlightened
How often do you guys perform routine maintenance on your D10s?

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
How often do you guys perform routine maintenance on your D10s?

Until now I've done it each time I got another D10... :crackup:

In future, it'll be done when I feel or see it's needed. Depends on how the light is used, EDC, pocket carry, dirty conditions or just in the house.

Best is probably, to have a look at the threads and inside the head when you change the battery, the same time you can check how easy the piston moves or take it out and inspect it. The o-ring doesn't need much lube to work, if you overlube, it'll stick on top of the body, less is more here!

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: Kenix.

Out of habit and necessity, once a new D10 is in my hands, I'd remove the factory lubricant and lightly lube the piston's o-ring for smoother operation. There's no particular interval for maintenance, sometimes I'll just lube the threads and o-rings if I see them dried up or when the contact ring has some residue from its contact with the body. Actually, I find it an enjoyment, and not a chore, to do maintenance on lights.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I replace the factory grease also. I have a D10 from the first batch that I carry almost daily, and after removing the factory grease and substituting Nano-Oil, I haven't had to do anything but clean the dust off and apply more lube to the o-ring at the head. I check to see that the oil is still there on the piston o-ring on occasion, and I have never had to add any.

Kenix

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome! I found my way over here from bladeforums -> edcforums -> CPF :whistle:

Still on the fence about my first serious light. I'm liking the D10 for its size, aesthetics, and most importantly DEEP pocket clip. Can't stand the ones that 4sevens is putting on the Quarks. Just have to decide whether or not I should jump on the last of the ramping UIs, or just opt for the SP. Third option would be to wait for the XP-G I suppose, but I could always follow rule #1...

On a side note, where can the lowest price for the D10 clips be found? Shine on :twothumbs

FAAbUlights

Newly Enlightened
Great job! I do have to say the D10 has yet to be out done by another light for my EDC needs. Especially since the Piston design allows for safer operation in Hazardous Locations. I am an aircraft mechanic and this particular light is so nice to have while performing maintenance.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all for the encouragement. :)
Hope it's as informative to you as it is enjoyable for me putting it together.

Incoming are some purchases for distributor's hybrid D10s.
Will report if there're any big differences.

Last edited: