a what point do you stop collecting ?

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened
At what point do you stop collecting so you don`t become a horder ??? Smother Chrome posed a video a month ago of all teir flash lights and they hace 200 flashlights. I don`t buy any more light since I use what I have!, do you own 300 flashlights or does the 300 flashlights own ? its a qood question to ask your self.

To quote fight club " The things you own end up owning you "

idleprocess

Flashaholic
While I will never claim to really understand collecting, it's been my observation that for many collectors the process of acquisition is at least as much of the appeal as the possession itself with each item having a story about how it came to be theirs.

Otherwise there can be the sense of completion - filling out a lineup of all the colors, options, models of interest. I'm mildly guilty of this having obtained a set of OG Emisar lights - D1, D1S, D4, D4S - but they're either regular users or merely inactive once I determined they didn't really suit my needs (i.e. the throwers). They might sit within a cabinet moderately dedicated to flashlights but they've all been scuffed, scratched, dropped, etc.

Some seem to see it as an investment of sorts. Based on some of the BST activity I've seen here and elsewhere there are some high-end / custom models out there that have good odds of appreciating over time - perhaps at a rate better than inflation. However if making money is the goal one is probably better off making actual financial investments.

When Foursevens stops bringing new offerings to market - and/or when people stop modding old offerings from 4Sevens/Foursevens.

IMG_0057.JPG

It's a silly little hobby, I know, however, it keeps me entertained and out of bars. 🤓

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in a world like what is going on right now, flashlight accumulation is one of the least silly hobbies that comes to mind. Spending hundreds of hours on
TikTok, now that's a silly hobby. Collecting 60 chihuahuas…

LightOne

Newly Enlightened
I seem to have a need to collect things. Flashlights have always been an interest for me, and have a purpose, unlike stamps or dolls or whatever. To me hoarding is keeping everything, like old newspapers and such.
Now that I'm about to leave this world, I'm about to sell everything except the Surefires and lights my wife will use. She likes flashlights but not as much as me. The Surefires are the only collectibles that will have lasting value, I think anyway.
That said, I'm still buying a few lights, as stated above the acquisition process is part of the appeal and I can't do much of anything else these days. I've been here forever, I had to start a new account because I couldn't get the old one to work. I was nbjly.
So thanks for everything to everyone, it's been a fun experience!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
nbjly you have good taste in flashlights! I looked back at your posts. From what you wrote on this thread, sounds like you do not expect to live much longer?

Looks like you posted as nbjly last June, but your current member registration LightOne began in August 2016, so I am confused, but glad you find enjoyment from flashlights!

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a hoard is buying things just to buy them, or not wanting to get rid of something that serves no particular function. A collection has a purpose behind it. I have something like 260 flashlights but they're there to illustrate a historical timeline like a museum would. As far as the flashlights I actually use, I tend to sell them when I end up getting better ones.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I was going to stop but there was this..
0BF8CAA2-7826-4F14-9E61-356BFFEC6FA5.jpeg

Is that a stick of dyno-mite strapped to that thing?
I know whenever I go friend hunting I like to have beige sticks of dyno-mite strapped to my street light bright head lamp. You know, just in case the party gets dull and all.....

Based on your criteria abtomat I suppose I'm a budding hoarder. I bought a slew of flashlights just to have them with no real reason and I aint sellin' none of my collection hoard. 😵‍💫

Poppy

Flashaholic
This is the section for practice posting. Consider starting this thread maybe in the general flashlight thread? Café?
@KITROBASKIN
I didn't respond to this thread because I didn't need any practice posting ;-)

Now I see that it has been moved to the Cafe` ... yea

I don't think that I have a collection of flashlights, but rather an accumulation of flashlights.
I have flashlights for specific tasks, and for common tasks - I have multiples.

Am I a hoarder?, no. However, I have never sold a flashlight. If I was willing to part with XXX amount of dollars for a light, and am not particularly thrilled with it, I am not willing to sell it at a 30-40% discount and pay shipping to do so. It still has the lighting capabilities that I bought it for. So I'll just keep it. Perhaps I'll gift it. Those that I don't gift just end up as part of the accumulation.

Over the years, I've slowed in adding to the accumulation. I appreciate what @Chauncey Gardiner posted above. His is a true collection, and he has a defined collection, just as a stamp collector might.