a what point do you stop collecting ?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in a world like what is going on right now, flashlight accumulation is one of the least silly hobbies that comes to mind.
I largely do not worry myself with the interests of others that do not have an impact on my life - flashlights, baseball cards, Corvettes, novelty umbrellas, cereal boxes ... whatever brings someone satisfaction in life. If it does have an impact on my life - i.e. a neighbor's spent fuel rod collection is making the geiger counter chatter alarmingly or someone I actually know (friend, family member, co-worker) is experiencing problems because of their collecting hobby has become an out of control addiction that's another matter I will take an interest in and opine on; in neither case whatever subjective disapproval I may or may not be experiencing is irrelevant.

I don't think that I have a collection of flashlights, but rather an accumulation of flashlights.
I'm in the same boat. Inventoried the significant lights I've accumulated and got to about 50. Perhaps another ~dozen others I've obtained I didn't bother noting.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
ABTOMAT and fixer have the collections of supreme merit, thinking. mcbrat and Chance noteworthy.

I don´t know about being non-judgemental unless it kicks somebody in the keister. Some wall art that goes for 10´s of thousands of dollars that really looks like middle school angst... that is some kind of serious ´Emperor has no clothes´ silly.

lumenati

Newly Enlightened
I have been collecting since 47s sold Fenix flashlights. Then 47s went solo with their own brand and I followed them (and bought them) with great enthusiasm until they ended their 10 year run in 2018. They were my reason for collecting. With cutting edge technology, variety, great pricing and the high lumens they were above most everyone out there. I really, really miss them. I'm glad Prometheus took up the baton but they are not the same. Since then I have added other brands and still enjoy collecting but 47s was the heart and soul, the alpha and omega of my flashlight love affair.

3_gun

Enlightened
When I have one of everything it will be a collection. Until then I'm just buying tools that I use several times a day, for up to & over 5 hours at a time (often not always) Are my work tools the same as my home tools, the same as my hobby tools, as my garage tools? Nope. Overlap yes, different? Yes. I have 5 man portable toolboxes & 1 you'd need a forklift to carry not counting the items in bags or drawers around n about, I don't see them as a collection either. Oddly flashlights seem to hold their value better than tools as many of the tools I own were bought for pennies on the dollar

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I stopped a few months ago it isn't no longer practical for me to I get back on my feet but I still have some cool lights now I'm more into motorized bikes at least they get me to store and docter but I still love lights

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
a what point do you stop collecting ?

About 13yrs ago, I began acquiring a few dozen different models of the new LED lights on the market. Purpose was so that I'd have enough in-hand to winnow down to a reasonable couple of choices, once I'd had some actual experience with them. Turns out, I only kept one 4Sevens Quark 123, a MagLite-sized LambdaLights 2DXML, and several of the Malkoff M61 LED drop-ins (with SolarForce or LumensFactory bodies running 18650 cells). And, on a daily basis it turns out the only lights I use are the Malkoff ones. Bright enough, reliable ... hard not to like.

For me, that was the right number. Not "collecting," per se.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I've got the (1) minimag color collection, but other than that... I've got a few that are (2) truly unique (eterna-light). All vehicles have a good light in the glove box... but other than that I've got 3 lights now.

The minimags rounded out my 'collection'. The others are simply what you could describe as 'well dispersed' amongst vehicles/equipment/storm shelter/etc.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I stopped "collecting" a couple of years back after realizing I was buying flashlights just to buy them, yet wasn't enjoying the experience anymore. After a while I just sorta got numb to the while thing and just started clicking the 'buy it now' button with no real reason in mind. Some would arrive by mail and immediately go into the flashlight stash. What fun is that?

The Hawk

Enlightened
I have found that I don't stop, I just start collecting other things. Many years ago I was into knives. Then it was firearms. Now it is flashlights. I don't know what will be next. Maybe I will start back with knives, who knows? As long as it gives me happiness and does not harm or bother others, I'll keep on purchasing.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think 100 tops is reasonable. I once had like 30 of them. The problem is when you get past a certain point you don't use them and some I've bought just to compare to some other model I had back home.

Right now you can get any feature you want ina light and maybe 5 or so would do everythiong you ever need but the fun is in finding new ones and trying out things....

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened
I stopped "collecting" a couple of years back after realizing I was buying flashlights just to buy them, yet wasn't enjoying the experience anymore. After a while I just sorta got numb to the while thing and just started clicking the 'buy it now' button with no real reason in mind. Some would arrive by mail and immediately go into the flashlight stash. What fun is that?
right good for you !! buy what you or don`t spend your money

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I stopped collecting when I needed cash for a new project, then I would use the proceeds from sales to invest in maybe a new light or firearm. Lord knows old surefire has a following and makes it easier to make cash for new projects.

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I will ever stop. Maybe a bit more selective is what I purchase?

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... I think we had a beautiful lesson reading this thread. I'm not a collector.... no more.

I accidentally started. I wanted to have as many experiences as possible. So, I didn't sell them, because I wanted to compare them with the other new ones I was going to buy. The aim was "find the perfect light".

At some point, I realized I had too much flashlights. And, I also realized that I wasn't spending some time with my family. So, I sold almost all of my collection, changed my car, bought some useful things (non flashlights) and today I live by the minimalistic motto.

Still focusin experiences, but careful not to lose the way.

PS: Maybe my signature shows otherwise. Living minimalism is a challenge. I still can't get away from it all. As someone else said here, the hobby brought me good friends who are here today and forever.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I do have a large number of pictures posted of the collection over the years, it really is a rotating collection. At first I tried to limit myself to 40 lights. It would creep above, and I would then sell some to get back under my limit. The limit helped be keep down the amount of funds locked up in the collection. Then as a ventured into making my own lights, my count went higher, but still rotated, giving me the opportunity to checkout other makers and build styles.

Today my collection is limited compared to what I've had. I have nearly a full Match Box Instruments collection, and a decent sized Mac collection, and a bunch of E series Legos that I've been collecting parts to complete, but those will go ip for sale eventually. I have several other customs and a few production lights. Maybe around 100 total. I keep track of all the lights I collect and sell. I think my sold count is at around 950 now.

I've collecting many other things, so don't expect to ever shake the collecting bug....

Burgess

Flashaholic
At what point do I stop collecting ? --

42_123b?$PDP_VIEWER_IMAGE$.jpg