A19 Cree XR-E lights ??'s

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 21, 2003
Messages
3,701
Location
Eastern Pacific, LAX DM03 sw actual
OK I was able to order one. Personally I would much rather order direct from Don. the shoppe's sales tax kills me.

That said.
I would like to know what the drive level is on the single cell version. Will there be any difference between the drive of this light when using primaries vs rechargables? Is there a 2 stage switch available for the sincle cell version?
On the 2 cell version what is the drive level. are these two lights putting out the same amount of light? Does the extra cell give brightness or runtime to the equation.
What is the hours on life of a cree emitter?
How much was the titanium version?
Just wondering. I assume that these lights are designed by Don.
Ae these lights being assembled by don?
I am pretty sure that when I order a PD direct from Don The light is built by don. When I order a light from the shop am I receiving a light built by Don or simply designed by Don?

That is all for now.
Thanks
Yaesumofo
 
Last edited:

NewBie

*Retired*
Joined
Feb 18, 2004
Messages
4,944
Location
Oregon- United States of America
The CREE XR-E is 50,000 hours at a drive current of 700mA. This is only if all the datasheet requirements are met, such as thermal transfer, which they are in the A19 XR-E.

Drive level to the LED is stated as 825mA, mine measured 800mA.

The flashlight is regulated, check out dat2zip's runtime posts, the converter falls out of regulation after a period of time. In the A19 XR-E thread.

Dat2zip used his GD buck-boost driver, so you can use single cell rechargeable Li-Ions.

Some of the drop you see, especially early on is due to heat, but the current is actually regulated.
 

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Messages
1,248
Location
Philippines
yaesumofo said:
Ae these lights being assembled by don?
I am pretty sure that when I order a PD direct from Don The light is built by don. When I order a light from the shop am I receiving a light built by Don or simply designed by Don?

I don't see why this should matter. I consider it one and the same whether I get the light from Don or Wayne. In case you're forgetting, Wayne designs and makes the converters in all of Don's lights so one won't work without the other. AFAIK, I haven't heard of anyone complaining about Wayne doing shabby work.
 

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 21, 2003
Messages
3,701
Location
Eastern Pacific, LAX DM03 sw actual
This was not any form of complaint.
It was a simple question. for some years I have bought my lights direct from DON. Those lights have been assembled by Don. I have paid premium prices direct to Don for flashlights built by him. It has been clear in the past that when I order a light from Don He builds it and sends it to me and I pay him for it.
I am used to that formula.
Now I am being asked to change the way I acquire flashlights which are designed (bodies, reflectors, switches ...) by Don but are now being built by Wayne. Those of you who bought a lot of aleph series of lights are used to this system. I only own 4 or 5 alephs mostly assembled from parts by myself with a couple of exceptions.
I am not complaining here I just want it to be clear that I am in fact not buying a flashlight built by Don himself. The light is built by Wayne apparently.
Personally I believe that if we are laying out good hard earned cash we have a right to know who is assembling the flashlights we are buying. Simple but not a complaint.
There is a big difference between doing electronic design and mechanical design and assembly not to mention machine work. I know Don does that. Is Wayne a machinist?
I understand that as Don is not an electronic engineer.
Yes these two are specialists in their fields.
I just want to know who is building the flashlight I just spent over $250.00 on.
Is there a problem with that?

In the old days paintings which were sold by master artists sold for premium prices, at the same time paintings sold by those same artist's apprentice's would fetch much less dough. There are times today that museums fight over weather or not the picture hanging in the hall maybe was even signed by an artist may have been painted by the apprentice not the master.
In my opinion a light designed and built by Don has a higher value than a similar light built using the same components by somebody else.
That is just me.
Yaesumofo

Billson said:
I don't see why this should matter. I consider it one and the same whether I get the light from Don or Wayne. In case you're forgetting, Wayne designs and makes the converters in all of Don's lights so one won't work without the other. AFAIK, I haven't heard of anyone complaining about Wayne doing shabby work.
 

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Joined
May 1, 2002
Messages
17,285
Location
Maui
yaesumofo,

I have basically turned the Aleph program over to Wayne and Cindy and the shoppe. I designed the Aleph 19 head and assembly and I designed the new XR-E screw/can used in these lights. I do not assemble these. I will be busy building some Ti XR-E based lights once I finally get the components from the machine shop. The final prices have yet to be determined.

I don't consider myself a specialist in any field; more a jack off all trades. :p

I think a good assembler and with good assembly techniques can put together a better package than I probably can but I should likely keep this suspicion to myself. :eek:

I don't think who is assembling a device is as important as how they are assembling the device. If you buy a light from me and it is one of my builds then I put the thing together.
 

charlesn

Enlightened
Joined
Dec 15, 2003
Messages
371
James, now that you know your A19 wasn't assembled by Don, I'd be willing to take that "forgery" off your hands... for the appropriately discounted "fake A19" price, of course! ;-)

By the way, I have to tell you that your Ti bezel for the 27LT is the best designed and best looking aftermarket bezel that anyone has produced to date. That's real artistry, my friend, and should be considered an absolute MUST for anyone who owns a 27LT.
 

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Nov 2, 2001
Messages
1,483
Location
los angeles
Yaesumofo
Your question does not appear to be a complaint to me - if others possibly see it as such, i don't know how. So nothing to fret about IMHO.

As for your questions which are very valid for a very expensive light, other threads state the 2 stage tail switch is no longer being made, however, the new, yet to be produced Ti Cree model by Don will have a 2 stage head twisty with a tail clicky. After that, a PD 2 stage twisty head with piston drive 2 stage momentary tail switch (just like the current PD) will also be produced by Don. The light engine will still be made by Wayne as usual.

Anyone may correct me if i don't have my facts straight on this as i am new to all this very exciting stuff!
 

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
1,646
Location
Paris, France
I personnaly find your questionning about this in public is not very respectful for Wayne and Cindy. If you have any doubt about their competence or ability to do great job, don't order from them. BTW I don't think they make that much money considering the incredible work they do and load they have on their shoulders.

the shoppe's sales tax kills me
[...]
Personally I believe that if we are laying out good hard earned cash we have a right to know who is assembling the flashlights we are buying.
 
Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 21, 2003
Messages
3,701
Location
Eastern Pacific, LAX DM03 sw actual
My ideas I see weren't lost on everybody. I am sure I will enjoy this light as much as any of the lights I have bought from the Shoppe. I also look forward to whatever "the Master" has in his production pipeline.

Thanks for the kind words about the 27LT bezel.
I can't take full credit for the design of the 27LT bezel.
I will give credit where credit is due. In fact my design started with one of Don's drawings. To be frank I am not a great original thinker. What I am good at is rethinking ideas to make them more suitable to the task they were originally made to perform. I modified the bezel design in ways which were both practically and aesthetically suitable for the flashlight it was designed for.
If you look at. and feel, the 27LT, the thing that comes to my mind is that it feels heavy and overbuilt.(Dont know how something feels "overbuilt) but the 27LT feels that way to me) It is over built. I used that as inspiration to create the bezel that I made for the light. The 27 LT bezel is thick. That was what I was going for. Thick and beefy. If you are going to stick something on the front of something that is not likely to break in the first place then it sure as hell better not be dainty in any way. So we got beefy instead.

Just to touch upon something again. Don builds the Pd's. The idea that Don still assembles them makes me feel good about that light. I love all of my Pd's and still EDC one of 2 that are by beater PD one is my first, a black McLuxIII PD with a U-Bin emitter the other beater is my McLuxIII PD Ti. It is still not completely broken in, It is not nearly as smooth action wise as the black one.
These lights are mine they are worn they look worn. they work. The fact of the matter is they wee both built by Don. I can speak only for myself.
The reality is simple Don at this time is one of very few master flashlight makers. The fact that don has designed the look and tuned the PD to be a balance between run time and the thermal abilities of the host are small parts of what is a fine example of Don's craft. When Don's hands are involved in the assembling of the piece it imparts a different energy to it.

It is that simple for me. In my opinion a flashlight built by Don has more "value". define that yourself. and by the way it is totally ok with me to disagree.
Yaesumofo


charles said:
James, now that you know your A19 wasn't assembled by Don, I'd be willing to take that "forgery" off your hands... for the appropriately discounted "fake A19" price, of course! ;-)

By the way, I have to tell you that your Ti bezel for the 27LT is the best designed and best looking aftermarket bezel that anyone has produced to date. That's real artistry, my friend, and should be considered an absolute MUST for anyone who owns a 27LT.
 

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Joined
May 2, 2006
Messages
3,661
Location
On the asphalt.
tino_ale said:
I personnaly find your questionning about this in public is not very respectful for Wayne and Cindy. If you have any doubt about their competence or ability to do great job, don't order from them. BTW I don't think they make that much money considering the incredible work they do and load they have on their shoulders.
+1 to that comment - They sell parts to the Aleph line, all brand new, for much cheaper than you see in the BST every so often.

I do admit that there is a certain "allure" to an all-Don built light, but the fact is, that if Don has confidence in the Shoppe to carry his parts, his inventions, and his ideas, then why shouldn't we?

john
 

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
1,663
Location
Ontario, Canada
jch79 said:
I do admit that there is a certain "allure" to an all-Don built light, but the fact is, that if Don has confidence in the Shoppe to carry his parts, his inventions, and his ideas, then why shouldn't we?

john


Hey John,

It's sort of like saying if Porshe trusted Mexico to build their car, would that impact your confidence to drop $150,000 in that 911 Turbo?

I'm not implying that Wayne and Cindy are, in any way, Mexican or any other type of nationality for that matter..... just being the Devil's Advocate..... :grin2:

In my opinion, I buy a lot of stuff from the Shoppe and have rarely found any reason to question the quality and workmanship.

:thumbsup: WP
 

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Joined
May 2, 2006
Messages
3,661
Location
On the asphalt.
WAVE_PARTICLE said:
It's sort of like saying if Porshe trusted Mexico to build their car, would that impact your confidence to drop $150,000 in that 911 Turbo?

I'm not implying that Wayne and Cindy are, in any way, Mexican or any other type of nationality for that matter..... just being the Devil's Advocate..... :grin2:

In my opinion, I buy a lot of stuff from the Shoppe and have rarely found any reason to question the quality and workmanship.

:thumbsup: WP

Hmmm... I'm not sure if the Devil's Advocate is going to win this one with that analogy Mr. WP :nana:

I was trying to convey that if the SS is the distributor of some of Don's goods, and is trusted by him to do so, then a light from them is just as good (and worth just as much $$) as a light straight from the McMan himself, as far as I'm concerned!
 
Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 21, 2003
Messages
3,701
Location
Eastern Pacific, LAX DM03 sw actual
You are entitled to your opinion.
This was never about the quality of the the work the Wayne and Cindy do.
I have been doing business with them substantially longer than you , and have and have never had any sort of problem.
The point of this was to clarify who was actually building these new flashlights.
It is My dough and I believe I am entitled to know who is building the semi custom flashlights I am spending it on.
For all I know Don was building these as fast as possible and shipping them to the Shop daily. Did you know any different?

Public? Private? What is the difference to you? Maybe I am not the only person who has this question. I am a firm believer of keeping things out in the open. I believe this is true of Don as well. If questions and answers start going around peoples backs and it becomes he said this or that person said that... It is all belong. To be straight forward and ask the question in public is the way to get an honest answer. Which Don provided. I have complete confidence in Don's choices, as they are his products.
If I doubted their competency or quality I wouldn't have spent $1000's at the shop or with Don over the years.
Their work load is their choice.
There are handsome rewards at the end of the day for carrying that work load.

I place a higher intrinsic value on something built by Don. That is not to say that Wayne does bad work or is not completely competent to do the work of assembling these parts into flashlights. But the simple fact is that he is not DON. Get it now?
Some of you people have a way of blowing things people say into complete utter BS.
Turn off the translators. I said what I said in plain English it doesn't require translation into other forms of the same language. If you are offended by it then too bad. I make no apology for anything I have said here.

Yaesumofo






tino_ale said:
I personally find your questioning about this in public is not very respectful for Wayne and Cindy. If you have any doubt about their competence or ability to do great job, don't order from them. BTW I don't think they make that much money considering the incredible work they do and load they have on their shoulders.
 

Kiessling

Moderator,
Joined
Nov 26, 2002
Messages
16,136
Location
Germany, Old World
Don has repeatedly stated that he turned over the Aleph program including the assambly of new offering currently at the Shoppe over the W&C. Of course the bit of info could have gotten lost as it was not announced in a seperate thread but somewhere along the discussion in other threads.
bernie
 

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 19, 2000
Messages
1,708
Location
Dunsmuir, Ca.
Darn it! Everything special here on CPF, (it seems), migrates from California! If I buy from Wayne or seemingly anyone else that is popular here, I pay 8.25% more! That doesn't seem like much but for a McGizmo light, it's $20.00 or more than the rest of you. Enjoy it that you don't live here in liberal California!
 

pcmike

Enlightened
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
569
Location
Lake Worth, FL, USA
Oh oh, I think I just answered my own question Don! Bring on the Ti 27LT-XR-E! :sssh: FIRST IN LINE (somehow I doubt I am, but it felt nice saying that!)

McGizmo said:
yaesumofo,

I have basically turned the Aleph program over to Wayne and Cindy and the shoppe. I designed the Aleph 19 head and assembly and I designed the new XR-E screw/can used in these lights. I do not assemble these. I will be busy building some Ti XR-E based lights once I finally get the components from the machine shop. The final prices have yet to be determined.

I don't consider myself a specialist in any field; more a jack off all trades. :p

I think a good assembler and with good assembly techniques can put together a better package than I probably can but I should likely keep this suspicion to myself. :eek:

I don't think who is assembling a device is as important as how they are assembling the device. If you buy a light from me and it is one of my builds then I put the thing together.
 

Latest posts

Top