• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

A19-Cree-XRE: which mc2es tailcap to use?

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Hi folks! While I love my 1x123 A19-Cree-XRE, I'd love it even more if it had 2 stages. =) So I'm I'm hoping you can help me choose the right mc2es tailcap.

First, the battery issue. I'd like to be able to use primaries if possible; can this be done? And if so, will it work with all resistor values (e.g. 5 ohm, 10 ohm, etc.) or only certain resistor values? If so, which ones?

Second, the brightness. Does anyone have experience with the approximate brightness of each resistor? In other words, does the 5 ohm give about 20 lumens, the 10 ohm give about 10 lumens, etc.? I know people probably won't have exact numbers, but even estimates would help. And even comparisons to other lights would help (e.g. "the low on the 15 ohm is about as bright as an Arc AAA-P").

Finally, the purchase. I'd prefer to buy a pre-made switch (my mechanical skills leave much to be desired.) I noticed that the Shoppe sells the DIY kits; does anyone else sell these kits pre-made? (I didn't find anything on the common sites like Lighthound.) Does anyone on CPF assemble them for a charge?

Thanks for all your help!

- FITP

EDIT: I have one of the original A19-Cree-XREs, which I believe was driven really high - 825 or 917, I think (or somewhere in that range).

Last edited:

Ms_SS

Enlightened
See McTC with 2-stage switch or Assembled McE2S at the Sandwich Shoppe. Choose 22 ohm.

Last edited:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash,

It all depends on what driver is in your light.

I have one of the original GD825 1 X 123 A19 XR-E lights from the Shoppe, and installed a modified 2-stage McClicky with a 10 ohm tail.

In my light, the 2-stage works only with an RCR123, with a primary the low level doesn't light at all.

I think Ms. SS thought you had the 2X123 light, because a 22 ohm would not light on low with either an RCR or CR123 if you have a GD driver.

I'm guessing if you have the GD and want to use a primary, you'd have to go to even lower resistance, like 5 ohms or so. I just tested my light with a 6.2 ohm resistor and a primary, and it works but it's very dim. I'd go with a 5 ohm.

I don't have a means of measuring lumens, but with an RCR123 and 10 ohms, my light measures about 45 lux on low and 2100 on high (at about a meter).
The low level seems a bit less bright than an Arc AAA-P.

So it depends on what driver is in your light. If you have a DB, 22 ohms will be fine. With the GD, a lower resistance is required for a similar effect, and for use with a primary cell I'd go 5 ohms.

SpeedPRO

Enlightened
FITP,

You're gonna show up at LA flashapalooza right? I can bring A19 XR-E GD825 driver with 5 ohm 2 stage so you can see how low does it goes. Is is plenty of bright on low with 5 ohm tho I gotta say.

I tried 10 ohm resistor before and the light was acting up funny sometimes...

Let me know if you want me to bring them. I'll see ya at griffith park...