AA battery test.

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, are we gonna do some AA battery runs and see if the results match up with the AAA test? It would be interesting to know if one company makes a better AAA, but not AA. When you think about all the AA's we use in LED lights, it just seems like this would make the next most logical test target, and with the possibility to compare the results of regular and premium alkalines against lithiums, it seems like this would make for some very interesting test results. What do you say guys? Up for a few more test for the good of science and all the flashaholics of the world? The last test was so much fun, we should start selling tickets for this one. Hehe
smile.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ohh, I would like that to. One thing else...as the new lithiums put out only 1.5 volts...can we espect them to run longer than the old 1.7`s as they don`t dump their amps as quick yet their total capacity is the same?

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
KenB: Good question. I've not even thought about that aspect of the new lithiums before. I guess that's another thing to think about in the new test. It would definitely be good to get test results from the newest AA lithiums because the 1.5v's (dated 2011) seem to be all that is available now.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by X-CalBR8:
KenB: Good question. I've not even thought about that aspect of the new lithiums before. I guess that's another thing to think about in the new test. It would definitely be good to get test results from the newest AA lithiums because the 1.5v's (dated 2011) seem to be all that is available now.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can go for this... but we need to agree on an "AA" flashlight that everyone who wants to test has, so the aggregate results will produce a valid average value.

Those who don't have the light but maybe know of it can sit back and watch, and everyone here (whether they have the test light or not) can then benefit from the results no matter what "AA" light they use.

Suggested candidates for the test might be a white Infinity, a 3-LED Trek (a PLW-3 can be substituted for this), the Brinkmann Long Life LED, or a Turtlelight-1.

All of these seem common enough that a good percentage of people here probably have or have access to at least one of them.

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Telephony: I was thinking the same thing when I made the suggestion. To get good comparable results everyone needs to test the same light, but which light would be easy to obtain results from in a reasonable amount of time? I know I personally would love to see the results on a Tuttlelite 1 or 2 and I think they are probably the most widely circulated, best quality, LED bulbs there are (bulbs by LEDCORP). I think the Turtlelite II would be the easiest to obtain results from because with 2 LEDs burning at once, it would be the quickest to fully discharge a set of batteries of the two. What do you guys think of this plan?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here`s an idea, I think I saw Chris build a holder for the head of the Arclight. Since it has a fairly high amp draw maybe we should use it. It might give us some idea of what we could expect from a AA Arclight, should one ever be built...it would deplete the batt faster than an Infinity and would cost less to test than multiple batt lights. My 1 cent.

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
KenB: That's a very interesting idea that I hadn't thought of before. The only problem that I can see with using the Arc with AA's is that you would be creating a situation that, until an AA Arc is created, wouldn't exist in real life, whereas the LEDCORP bulbs (used in Turtlelite 1 & 2) are in heavy use by almost everyone. I don't know. What do you guys think?

Brock

Flashaholic
I would also think it should be a light that is pretty common. I like the PLW-3 or a lightwave 2000, or really any 3 AA LED light. I would throw in it should use a direct connect, no step up so there is less a chance of that effecting the results. The LEDcorp lamps sound like a good choice to me. Imagine the results with 3 D cells
smile.gif

Brock

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by X-CalBR8:
I think the Turtlelite II would be the easiest to obtain results from because with 2 LEDs burning at once, it would be the quickest to fully discharge a set of batteries of the two. What do you guys think of this plan?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Turtlelite II was destroyed
frown.gif
so I would have to skip this round of testing.

The other potential limitation is the physical size of our solar cells. When the cell is too small to completely cover the flashlight head, and everyone will have slightly different size cells, the readings will all be different.

We should test a light that will fit the relatively small Radio Shack cells. The one I'm using just barely fits completely over an Infinity.

Questions? Ideas? Stiff drink?

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the infinity would be a light that is in common use, but it drains the batteries so slowly that the results probably wouldn't be indicative of other, more battery intensive, LED flashlights. KenB's idea of connecting an Arc to an AA would work nicely given the size of it's head (so that it could fit the solar panal). Also, another idea to solve the solar panel size problem would be to put a commonly available LEDCORP bulb inside of another light that has a head that would fit the solar panel. How does this sound?

Doug

Enlightened
My 2 ¢'s ... I like the Arc light running off of a AA idea, and I like the idea of using the Turtle 2.... But running the Infinty makes sence.... and I think all the reviewers have them, eh? I don't have an Infinity, but it would still be interesting
smile.gif
... I DO have a Brinkman .... Maybe that one? Of course, I can not say I care about run time with it, as I usually just use it to poke around inside the 'puter (plastic light, no grounding out things
smile.gif
)... I think using 1 AA is good, but for a "pure" no step up setup, you would need 3 AA's, well, heck... how about a specific make/model of LED with 3 AA's wired into .... no flashlight body, or nothin'!? I guess some sort of 'hood' would be needed for the LED, to direct the light... like, the idea of the coaxial cable used to make a regular Photon Light into a covert one.

Thoughts?

Doug

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Also, another idea to solve the solar panel size problem would be to put a commonly available LEDCORP bulb inside of another light that has a head that would fit the solar panel. How does this sound?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, let's see...
I have the single LED, 4 cell bulb already inside my Turtlelite, and the single LED, 3 cell model that would fit any 3-cell flange base flashlight. My LEDCORP "Our Best Aluminum Flashlight" also uses the same bulb as the Turtle 1.

Next logical step is to go through all of my 120-some-odd flashlights and find a 3- or 4-cell PR-base model that will fit over the solar panel.

Or I could just whip out my Brinkmann Long Life, PLW-3 or Trek-3 and do it that way.
smile.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marked:
What about useing a set resistens? Or do you
need to see the pretty light?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, I know LED`s change their amp draw with voltage (as the batts drop so does the amp draw) do resisitors do the same thing? If so maybe Mark has a great point...don`t forget we are testing batt claims (one against another)...not flashlights...although I do like a pretty light to look at
grin.gif

MY

Enlightened
Use the Brinkman. It is cheap, obtainable , and probably more real life for the masses who will actually use a led light.

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
"don`t forget we are testing batt claims (one against another)...not flashlights...although I do like a pretty light to look at"

True we are testing battery claims but we are also testing the unique way that a commonly available LED would put a draw on the different battery brands and battery types. Otherwise we could just put the batteries in anything and see how long they take to run down. We already have test results from others that have tested batteries in flash camera operations, but I believe that the results with LED flashlights could be very different (especially where premium batteries are concerned).

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
If anyone has a sixth grader at home this would make a great science project for them. My oldest daughter did a battery test for her class a few years ago. She got a good grade on it...

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
My Daughter did... She got three garrity single AA flashlights and tested the coppertop, the bunny and ray o vacs.
I had an old light meter for photography so she had some form of measurement. Overall I think the bunny won, and the ray o vac came in second. And for what we were paying for Ray o Vac's it actually was the best bargain of the three.
Using the commissary don't ya know....