AA EDC with Kiss interface

vali

Enlightened
Some days ago my father asked me to get a few lights to give away to some neighbours we are in good terms with. I was trying to find the "ideal" light for the task but found none that fulfill all the requirements.

- It MUST be 1xAA powered.
- Easy to use interface. The ideal levels would be about 20-30 lumen "low" and a high around 100-150.
- Can't be all-flood.
- Around $40 (or less, of course). Need to buy 3 at least and the currency exchange is not helping it.
- Decent runtime / efficiency.
- Clicky is desirable.
- Not bulky desing.
- Neutral will be awsome (they will be used in the wood most probably since they are lumberjacks), but this would be just icing the cake.

There is a light that is almost perfect: The Fenix E11. The interface and brightness lvls are just in the spot, but have no throw at all.

Some models I am considering:

- Jetbeam BA10, but I would like a higher low, the clip will lead to lose the light and the clicky are so-so.
- Eagletac D25A, can be had in NW, but I am not that sure about the low-low and dont like secuential levels for this particular use.

Do you know any light that is, basically, a reflectored E11?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

KirthGersen

Newly Enlightened
Some Fenix options:

E21
LD10 (slightly over your budget but very nice indeed)
LD15 (twisty, but a simple interface and a good light)

vali

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions

- E21. 2xAA. Need an EDC (edited the first post just when you were writing)
- LD10, too many modes. Need something simpler, no need for strobes and the like
- LD15. Low is too low. Even the low in the BA10 is too low :(

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
How about a quark tactical. Open it up, program it...and they'll never be the wiser!

davecroft

Enlightened
Have you actually tried an E11? I have one, as well as a Jetbeam BA10, Fenix LD15, Nitecore EZaa and a few others. I actually find the E11 throws as well if not better than a lot of those.

The throw of the E11 compares well with the Jetbeam BA10 which has a very large and deep reflector for a single AA. And the E11 has the 'whitest' beam - it's a great light for the money.

vali

Enlightened
I think I will get E11. Throw is not a must, but can be useful in the woods where they will be (most probably) used. On the other hand I found the E05 flood, wich should be similar as E11, almost perfect to walk in forest paths at night.

Does someone have a pic comparing E11 size against somethink like Quark AA, Fenix LD10 or so?

Edit2: Ohhh, I think I find a good candidate, but a bit pricey... Jetbeam E3S.

Last edited:

KirthGersen

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

KirthGersen

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore Sens AA? Hi 120lm / 2hr – Med 20lm / 12hr – Lo 6lm / 60hr (though it's a twisty)