AA MiniMag Collection - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenLED

Flashaholic
no, it was definitely the woodland camo, but the gray areas looked yellowish. Maybe td remembers the details of this. It may even be in Part 1, I'll have to dig into it.

greenLED

Flashaholic
unknownVT, if you look at td's pic at the top, it looks like there are at least 2 distinct shades of dark blue.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Looks more like my #6..dark blue/purple. Mine changes color depending on the light.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
Looks more like my #6..dark blue/purple. Mine changes color depending on the light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you're right -
my photo does look more like your #6 in your photo.

But what I meant was that in real life - it looks closer to your #7......

It's much paler in real life and has more red content - so it looks like a pale purple/lilac - but definitely changes colors depending on the lighting and angle viewed.

So is your #6 like that too in real life?

Thanks,

turbodog

Flashaholic
Of all the group buys for minimags I have done, I have seen more color variation in ANY blue color than any other color.

Your light could be either blue, no real way to tell at this point.

As far as the camo goes.... I remember seeing a yellow camo color on the forums once. But it turned out to be a bad color adjustment in the photo.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
Of all the group buys for minimags I have done, I have seen more color variation in ANY blue color than any other color.
Your light could be either blue, no real way to tell at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks TD - the main problem I have is being able to take a representative photo of the color -
hence my very wordy description(s).

Being stubborn I tried and tried... and tried /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif -
using daylight, direct sunlight, different directions for the lighting - the results all seem to be too dark and too blue - finally among my many attempts there was a series that at least begins to be close to what I actually see.

Honest, it only take a glance to know it is different
Like others I obviously have seen and looked at lots of MiniMags in shops and displays and this one is not the standard (#11) blue or purple (#98).
(otherwise I wouldn't be writing about it, and embarrassing myself by being so "retentive" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

It is not a pure blue like the other standard (real) blue (color code 11) Mini-Mag I have - it is no where near as deep in color,
it definitely has hints of pale purple/lilac.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Edit to change Photo -
Partial "Success"! Sitting at my computer and looking at the culprit light I wondered why I could not take a representative photo of it.... then realized I should just try to take it under the conditions I was looking at - hence:
mMagColorS.jpg

shows a lot more of the hint of pale purple/violet/lilac

Sorry to be so fussy, and many thanks for all your patience and input.

[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:As far as the camo goes.... I remember seeing a yellow camo color on the forums once. But it turned out to be a bad color adjustment in the photo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of like these?
MAAcamo002.jpg

http://www.spdiffusion.ch/eboutique/p51.html

and
m2ahcam.jpg

http://www.orderoutdoors.com/minimagaa.htm

turbodog

Flashaholic
Looks like a std blue and midnight blue. Doesn't really matter anyway. Both are still available for purchase.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
Looks like a std blue and midnight blue. Doesn't really matter anyway. Both are still available for purchase.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many thanks,

So the MiniMag with the Kroll clickie in the photos is the "Midnight Blue"?

Thanks - nice to know after all these years of wondering -
I didn't think it was valuable or anything particularly special -
afterall I had bought it from a Wal-Mart for under $9, in a regular holster (hang) pack about 5 or 6 years ago -
but hadn't seen another like it since....
and ironically my standard blue (code 11) appears to be darker than this "Midnight" blue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif -
so maybe it also has some manufacturing variation/anomoly - being on the pale side.

Thanks all for your patience, much appreciated.
(and apologies for kicking up a fuss over such a trivial thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif )

turbodog

Flashaholic
I just noticed our new banner ad from actionlights.com (or is it action-lights.com ???). I also noticed they have the americana set for $49!!!!!!!!!!! That's a deal. Anyone interested should jump on that. I paid about $80 for my set, and list is about $100 (or used to be).

greenLED

Flashaholic
Any info on when they changed the engraving around the bezel?
Unless I'm mistaken the "new" style has the little cat (or was it a ram?) logo. I'm saying "new" because the my first mini-Mag, bought in 1992, has it.

What about the change from the o-ring to the rubber gasket?

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
Any info on when they changed the engraving around the bezel?
Unless I'm mistaken the "new" style has the little cat (or was it a ram?) logo. I'm saying "new" because the my first mini-Mag, bought in 1992, has it.

What about the change from the o-ring to the rubber gasket?

[/ QUOTE ]

Years ago (15-20?) the minimag nor the full size included the words "USA".

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag revamped their lineup in 1989-90. Added the logo, went to laser engraving rather than stamping, changed the C/D swtich mounting and tailcap, dropped the 7-cell models, etc. I have an early (1983--they started around 1980) 5C and a very early (like the year they were introduced) AA Mini-Mag.

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
ABTOMAT said:
Mag revamped their lineup in 1989-90. Added the logo, went to laser engraving rather than stamping, changed the C/D swtich mounting and tailcap, dropped the 7-cell models, etc. I have an early (1983--they started around 1980) 5C and a very early (like the year they were introduced) AA Mini-Mag.

[/ QUOTE ]

The older D mags are larger in diameter than the new ones.

I used to have an old style minimag. The spare bulb was in a metal sleeve instead of a plastic one and it had an o-ring in the tail cap instead of a one way gasket.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I have one of the old D mags too. Much beefier walls. But this is about mini-Mags, so back to the "older" versions. I just got one that has different lettering around the bezel and an o-ring in the tail cap. The spare bulb is in the red sleeve, though (IIRC -should re-check). It came in a clear plastic tube, and it looks like very old stock; it even had the old Maglite imprint with the rays going outwards from the middle. :)

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
greenLED said:
no, it was definitely the woodland camo, but the gray areas looked yellowish. Maybe td remembers the details of this. It may even be in Part 1, I'll have to dig into it.

Ha! After all this time, I found the thread, and the original link to the "yellow" camo minimag:

CPF thread
vendor's website

Before y'all run out to get a yellow camo minimag, I think we pretty much agreed that the yellow was product of bad color rendition in the pic, not an actual minimag color.

Cheerios!

PS: Anybody seen a bronze one lately? Knurled fuschia by any chance? HAIII? bare Al? :D OK, it's time to log off and have some lunch.:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.