AA Thrower

dontfearthereaper_20

Newly Enlightened
After spending the last few weeks driving myself nuts over which cr123 thrower light i want ive finally made a decison sort of. Ive been wanting to get out of cr123 and 18650 lights for a while and have not pulled the trigger but now I'm finally ready. Im looking at either the Fenix tk41 the updated one with 900 lumens or the Nitecore EA8. Which one is the better light? and please no questions of why downgrading etc etc its a personal choice.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
After spending the last few weeks driving myself nuts over which cr123 thrower light i want ive finally made a decison sort of. Ive been wanting to get out of cr123 and 18650 lights for a while and have not pulled the trigger but now I'm finally ready. Im looking at either the Fenix tk41 the updated one with 900 lumens or the Nitecore EA8. Which one is the better light? and please no questions of why downgrading etc etc its a personal choice.

So, which potato is a better orange?

I say the kumquat.

:D

If I knew what "Better" meant, for YOU, I might take another crack at it though.

:D

Do you have UI, minimum range, or runtime, or durability, or costs to run, or flood, or form factor, weight, etc, preferences?

dontfearthereaper_20

Newly Enlightened
Sorry about that TEEJ. Runtimes and ui are not a selling point for me since I only use the lighta few minutes of the day. Feel of the light and throw is what I look for.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Sorry about that TEEJ. Runtimes and ui are not a selling point for me since I only use the lighta few minutes of the day. Feel of the light and throw is what I look for.

The EA8 out performs the TK41's throw, and most people prefer the feel of the TK41.

dontfearthereaper_20

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, I'm leaning more towards the EA8 due to the fact I can get the light plus eneloops and charger for the price that I would be paying for the fenix.

ven

Flashaholic
I have the ea8 and its a nice light,good size and fed 8 loops. Offers some good flood too that is useful.......

I like the UI on the ea8(and ea4) but it wont be as user friendly as the fenix(have tk61/75/50) that have similar UI to the 41.

The ea8 has the voltage readout via flashing button which is of use and also has a good low mode.

Has a holster(not sure on the tk41)but presume a plastic case if my other tk lights are to go off that are of a reasonable size.

The ea8 has no carrier if that makes a difference,the tail cap is removed and cells fed into body.

Dont have a tk41 to directly compare but see slight pros/cons of both,tough call but i dont think you would be disappointed with either:thumbsup:

dontfearthereaper_20

Newly Enlightened
After doing more extensive research last night i have decided on the updated(900) lumen Fenix tk41, I found it on ebay for 108 and eneloops on battery junction for 55 with charger. I do have another question, what would you guys recommend for a 4aa thrower? ive been looking at the nitecore ea4 or the sunwayman d40a. At the current moment i own an Olight m3x and an Olight m22x but like ive said i have decided to downgrade to ni-mh powered flashlights. Both of these will be for sale but i cant use the marketplace so ill have to learn to sell on eBay. Thank you for any imput

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own two of the TK41 lights, one the 860 lumen version and the other the 900. Both throw a nice pencil beam and unless you look at the circuit board color you can't tell which light is which. The 860 lumen version uses a green circuit board while the 900 lumen version uses a white one.

ven

Flashaholic
little group pic

Thrunite diffuser can be used on the ea8 and tm15 as both 60mm heads(diffuser is 58mm)

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
From the title I was thinking this was going to be a thread about the best throwing single AA light.

Anyone have any thoughts on that? Is it possible to get 10K cd in a AA size light? Perhaps a dedomed XRE driven by a 14500 that can also run on primaries?

In a reflector based light would a dedomed XPG2, XRE, XPE2 be about the same for throw?

joker3388

Newly Enlightened
Personal I prefer the Fenix Ld41 over the sunwayman and nitecore, since it has a more practical turbo mode, 20-30 mins vs 3 mins for sunwayman and nitecore. But sine you only use it only a few mins, I would go for the newer sunwayman f40a over the nitcore since it has more usable low.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the title I was thinking this was going to be a thread about the best throwing single AA light.

Anyone have any thoughts on that? Is it possible to get 10K cd in a AA size light? Perhaps a dedomed XRE driven by a 14500 that can also run on primaries?

In a reflector based light would a dedomed XPG2, XRE, XPE2 be about the same for throw?

A lego'd Quark Turbo (QBA) can do 8.8 cd (Selfbuilt's #s) on a 14500 but I has a larger head than a standard AA.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personal I prefer the Fenix Ld41 over the sunwayman and nitecore, since it has a more practical turbo mode, 20-30 mins vs 3 mins for sunwayman and nitecore. But sine you only use it only a few mins, I would go for the newer sunwayman f40a over the nitcore since it has more usable low.

Me too, but have to get the old version of it right, the 680l version is now like the other 3 min modes.

Shiftyk5

Newly Enlightened
If you want to get a 4xAA light, I highly reccomend you step over to vihn's subforum and see about getting the sunwayman D40avn with PDTc (Premium Dedome Tint cool). It really is a fantastic little light.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too, but have to get the old version of it right, the 680l version is now like the other 3 min modes.

Great suggestion. That light is a must have for sure. One of my most used and have Never had a problem