AAA light you prefer over the ARC?

GT42NV

Newly Enlightened
Then buy the dude the KD v4 Buckle and a AAA battery and charger, at keast then you will still have change left over as opposed to buying some of the other uber hectic torches mentioned. That way they will be happy and so will your wallet lol.

Now days the non-flashaholics don't want a dull light, if they did they would stick to their crappy keychain lithium button cell LEDs.

I think any non-flashaholic would appreciate a KD V4.

Sorry as you can see I'm just very excited about my new light and can seem a lil biased.

Last edited:

bltkmt

Enlightened
Also, I didn't see where the OP mentioned the gifts were to the "unenlightened"? Why limited to alkies?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Also, I didn't see where the OP mentioned the gifts were to the "unenlightened"? Why limited to alkies?

Gifts from flashaholics are generally to non-flashaholics. Face it, flashaholics know better than to generally gift to other flashaholics, we're just too damn picky on what we each want.

An "unenlightened" will never buy expensive lithium batteries or use rechargables. If a light cannot run on alkalines, they will not use the gift.

Centropolis

Enlightened
I am going to second the KD V4 Buckle light as gifts. Cheap enough to be gifts and bright enough to impress them beyond their Maglites.

Or you can get the new DX Buckle R2....which I refer it as the 'Nipple' Light because of the way it is shaped on the end.

83Venture

Enlightened
Peak LED Solutions Matterhorn if you want a simple light, Liteflux if you want a user adjustabile one that is more complex.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I'm going to advise against the Fenix L0D, Liteflux whatever, etc., basically all the higher powered lights mentioned. As This_is_nascar explains, those powerful lights don't run well on commodity alkaline cells and therefore aren't good choices for non-flashaholics. Go for something lower powered.

I do not understand that, both my L0D and LF2X runs perfectly fine on alkaline AAA.

On max. power they have short runtime and can not reach the same brightness as on NiMH, this is a inconvenience (and the same for all high power lights), but does not prevent the light from working.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I do not understand that, both my L0D and LF2X runs perfectly fine on alkaline AAA.

On max. power they have short runtime and can not reach the same brightness as on NiMH, this is a inconvenience (and the same for all high power lights), but does not prevent the light from working.

Any high power light does not react well with alkalines. Look at the runtime graphs here for a comparison between different power sources for the LOD for example.

gjg

Enlightened
I agree. Runs good on anything from Alks to Lithium Ions. The finish is excellent, been in my pocket for 3 months and looks like new. I have mine set on a low low and high high, haven't changed that in a loooooong time. Saw some deer standing about 70'-75' off the road in a wilderness park after dark the other day, nobody else had a light, so out came the III, everybody laughed at first, but it put out enough light on high you could see the three in front fairly clearly, and the 2 in the trees we didn't notice before by the eye glow.... definitely not HID-like, but can't imagine a Arc or E01 being ANY help there.
gg

MJ Extreme III - like the LF2, but brighter, more efficient, and uses the Rebel 100. I EDC it at all times. The only complaint I have about it and the Liteflux lights is the difficulty in switching modes, especially in the dark. I also really like the E01 but still carry my Arc too.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Any high power light does not react well with alkalines. Look at the runtime graphs here for a comparison between different power sources for the LOD for example.

Yes, as I already stated, it gives a short runtime on max. power, but why is that a problem?

I uses these light at a lower power and only uses short flashes (less that a minute) at full power and for that alkalines works ok.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Yes, as I already stated, it gives a short runtime on max. power, but why is that a problem?

I uses these light at a lower power and only uses short flashes (less that a minute) at full power and for that alkalines works ok.

There are just so many shortfalls of alkaline cells in high power LED's

1) less brightness
2) less runtime
3) high likelihood of leaking inside the light
4) far more expensive than NiMH, about 150 times more expensive. even if you buy very cheap alkalines, they are still about 50 times more expensive. so you pay 50-150x more money for a cell which has less than half the performance.

You honestly don't consider any of that a "problem" with using alkalines??

mighty82

Enlightened
Alkalines are useless in any high power flashlight except at low mode in emergencies. I use alkalines in my E01 and E0's. Oh.. And in my remote controls. That's about all they are good for. Just look at the L1D runtime graphs. That's a very good regulated flashlight, but still the output drops like a stone from the first minute. I hope the new lithium aaa/aa batteries will take over after the alkalines and get cheaper. :)

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not quite as horrible on alkalines in intermittent use because that is my work light and I use alkalines in it as that is what the company provides. I use it at least a little bit every day and I go at least a couple of weeks before I have to replace the battery.

I'd definitely consider this light a pocket light or an EDC light and not a keychain light.

Yep, great light, however it's a terrible performer on alkalines. You need to use L92's for any decent amount of runtime.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
It's not quite as horrible on alkalines in intermittent use because that is my work light and I use alkalines in it as that is what the company provides. I use it at least a little bit every day and I go at least a couple of weeks before I have to replace the battery.

I'd definitely consider this light a pocket light or an EDC light and not a keychain light.

Considering you'd get 3 to 4 times of better run-time from the L92, I'd still consider the alkalines to be "terrible" performers in the MS. Based on your usage, instead of getting a couple weeks, you'd get much more than that with the L92's. I'm not saying the MS will not work with the alkalines. What I'm saying is that the MS really prefers L92's over alkalines, more than any other light I've tested.

As you can see there is really no comparision.

SLMS-2.jpg

HKJ

Flashaholic
There are just so many shortfalls of alkaline cells in high power LED's

1) less brightness
2) less runtime
3) high likelihood of leaking inside the light
4) far more expensive than NiMH, about 150 times more expensive. even if you buy very cheap alkalines, they are still about 50 times more expensive. so you pay 50-150x more money for a cell which has less than half the performance.

You honestly don't consider any of that a "problem" with using alkalines??

No, I do not call that a problem, and what your write is only partial correct:

1) Only on high levels do your loose brightness
2) Only on high levels do your loose runtime and with low usage alkaline will have better runtime than regular NiMH
3) That can be a problem.
4) The price depends on how much your use your light, for anything where I replace batteries less than once a month, I believe that alkaline is fine. I.e. I will reach "break even" between alkaline and NiMH in about 1/2 year. Then I just have to hope that the NiHH will last 75 years to reach your 150 times estimate :shrug:.

Rzr800

Enlightened
Have bought many ARC AAA's, and like the light. Time to buy more for gifts and was wondering what light is out there in a similar size package that you prefer, and why? Thanks

The Tiablo A1 is probably one of the nicest looking and perhaps feeling lights out there with nice output/throw along with 'blow your mind' specs. indeed...yet...:eek:

alibaba

Enlightened
Yep, great light, however it's a terrible performer on alkalines. You need to use L92's for any decent amount of runtime.

Howdy guys and gals, pretty sweet little community you've got here!

I have a Microstream and find that it gets 2.5 hours (of steady light) on an alkaline. Is this bad? I think it's rated at 1.5 so I was pretty happy with an extra hour. I think it's a perfect all-around light though, it's got good distance and still lights up a big area up close. For $15 I think everyone should have one

Oh yeah, the LOD Q4 rocks as well but I find myself reaching for the MS for 90% of my uses......................

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My KD Buckle V4 died when I dropped it from my waste. Not worth the money. I thought it was a good light until now.
Man if you are buying for a gift why not just get them the KD Buckle V4? Its cheap and it breaths fire! Just got mine today actually.

I think as a gift you just cant go past it. cmon its $23 so you can afford to give gifts to many of your friends.

Marduke

Flashaholic
No, I do not call that a problem, and what your write is only partial correct:

1) Only on high levels do your loose brightness
2) Only on high levels do your loose runtime and with low usage alkaline will have better runtime than regular NiMH
3) That can be a problem.
4) The price depends on how much your use your light, for anything where I replace batteries less than once a month, I believe that alkaline is fine. I.e. I will reach "break even" between alkaline and NiMH in about 1/2 year. Then I just have to hope that the NiHH will last 75 years to reach your 150 times estimate :shrug:.

There are runtime plots with comparative brightness to back up #1 and #2, where is evidence to the contrary? Even burst operation of alkalines leads to the same general shape of the curve, staying constantly below NiMH or L92. Runtime is only moderately increased.