• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

? about Aleph 2

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my first Aleph a week ago and it is a great light my new EDC. However there are two things bugging me first the tail switch is very firm my daughter can't even get high to activate. Next the switch seems to have some play in the threads it will turn on low no problem with out touching the switch but just by pressing the tail. You can even feel the O-ring twist a bit when you push and pull on it, is this the norm?

Thanks
JT

PS. This is the standard switch by the way.

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering the same thing when I got mine. Both of my tailswitches (standard) have play in the threads. Either will turn the light on without touching the switch if they are threaded on far enough. You can even turn from low to high the same way. One of the boot caps seems to be of a softer material than the other. One is easy to press, the other is stiff..

So I would guess it is the norm. Nothing to be concerned about IMO.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
There is what I consider to be a bit excessive backlash in the threads of some of the caps. My bad! This was a knee jerk response to an earlier complaint about not enough slack in the threads by a CPF member and I implimented a request for a looser fit in the parts at both the machining end as well as the plating end where I had the parts etched for a longer than typical duration. There is no functional problem here other than the annoyance of needing to back the cap off enough to insure no switching on via cap displacement. All of the E series have some back lash in the threads and due to the relatively coarse thread, this backlash can be noticible.

There are mentions of methods and means of releaving some of the pressure on the tail switch to reduce the force required. Hopefully someone with a quick connection can help you out here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys. The only way that I know of, without altering the reliability of the switch, is to shorten the length of the throw of the switch by taking about .015" off of the top of the bottom portion of the switch module. Although this doesn't reduce the amount of pressure needed activate full mode, it does make a rather large difference in the movement needed to attain high mode. You could also reduce the length of the spring that contacts the battery, but I wouldn't recommend this.

As for the "play" in the threads, I've toyed around with a turn or two of teflon tape. Just make sure that it doesn't interfere with the contact area at the very tail of the body. Once you put that stuff on it's been my experience that it pretty much stays where you put it, although it will need to be replaced from time to time, since it was not meant for this sort of purpose.

Luman

Newly Enlightened
I've tightened up the tailcap fit with about a turn and a quarter of yellow gasline PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene, a.k.a., Teflon) tape. It's quite a bit thicker than the normal white PTFE tape so it holds up to the wear of twisting on and off much, much better so it shouldn't need to be replaced as often. Just took a look at some that's been in service for a few weeks and, other than some discoloration from lube and o-ring residue, looks as good as when I first put it on.

Darell

Flashaholic
I've found that some tails fit some bodies better than others. When I get a batch in, I fool with them so they're all about the best fit I can manage. Nothing's perfect, but like Don said - the Surefire tails show the same symptoms and we all seem to manage with them. But yes, I have certainly noticed this myself. One you get used to it, it is really no big deal in my experience. You can also try a fatter o-ring to remove some of the play.

Knife11

Newly Enlightened
I realy like the SFT switch... It's really easy to press, smaller than the standard and because of the different parts inside you can screww the cap on a bit further without turning in the light. This seemed to make it so it was more on the o-ring and a bit tighter.

Alterantivly yuo can just get the insides of the SFT switch and put them in you standard. I did this because I like the H3 better in my Standard switch so now I have the best of both worlds.

gorkon

Newly Enlightened
I consider the "play" in the threads a feature. By carefully adjusting the tail, a simple squeeze can turn on low mode, or, turn on high mode from low.

Makes underhand use possible, without having to twist with one hand.

-Tony

Darell

Flashaholic
There's the kind of customer we like! It is a feature! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really mind the play in the switch, but I feel week as even I can't make it stay on high for any amount of time without turning it to high. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif