? about RED and Green Nichia leds.

Grumpy

Enlightened
I was wondering if the output of the RED and GREEN nichia 5mm leds also got bumped up when they went from the NICHIA NSPW500BS TO THE NSPW500CS in their white leds? Or was the white leds the only ones that they doubled the output on without them using more power?

If they improved the output in other colors could someone let me know the part numbers?

I currently have a group buy going for the NICHIA NSPW500CS white leds and am thinking of doing a group buy on some other colors.

Who makes the most efficient 5mm red leds?

Who makes the most efficient 5mm green leds?

One thing that everyone seems to like about the NICHIA that I am currently selling is the fact that they can be overdriven without losing their brightness over time to quickly as with other similar leds.

If there were different brands of 5mm leds that had about the same output I would want to buy the most ruggedd one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Depending on what info I get from this thread, I might start a Group buy interest thread in a few days to see if there is enough interest in red, green or other color leds to do group buy.

:help:

Weep

Newly Enlightened
If you can find the top colored LEDs out there, in the range of 15-30 degree illumination angles, I'd be interested.

@ Phaserburn: I've thought the exact same thing but haven't found anything. My best guess is that there isn't enough market for extremely bright blue LEDs to make it worthwhile to send any away from going into white ones...?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I imagine that makes sense, Weep. But you'd think there'd be enough of a commercial market for colored leds to have them be available. Traffic lights, signal lights/reflectors, etc. Hmm.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be interested in any significantly brighter than normal red, green or cyan LEDs. Two of my favorite and most used lights have green or cyan LEDs in them. I have a 5mm cyan LED in a Minimag clone and the Vf is speced at 3.0V and on two alkaline cells, it is very bright for a single 5mm LED. Certainly brighter than a single 26k LED on the same alkaline cells though I know the Vf on the whites is higher so direct driving them isn't getting their full potential. But I've had them for over a year so I'm sure there is something brighter on the market by now.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
More info? YOU'RE the guy with the info! Does the place you did the group buy through have any colored LEDs that they call 'brighter'?

Organize another group buy... I'm in for 3 each red, blue and green.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'd check both Agilent and Toshiba for red LEDs.
Nichia does not actually *MAKE* its red LEDs, but gets them from somewhere else. Toshiba I believe, but I could be mistaken.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only place I know to get really powerful 5mm LEDs is at: www.lsdiodes.com They are designated THC line. They are recommended to be driven at 80-100 mA. :O They are avail. in RED, Green, Blue, and White. -No Cyan as yet.

I have worked a lot with these LEDs and find them to be waaay stronger in output than anything else in this category. Nothing else even close........

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought some of the green, red and blue THC3 LEDs.

I remember reading about them maybe a year or more ago, but never got around to ordering from them... We'll see...

Weep

Newly Enlightened
The THC3 LEDs' listed intensities aren't much higher (if at all higher) than that listed for many regular 20 mA 5mm LEDs nowadays...

If it helps the idea of a group buy, some time ago I scoured the web (a little) to try to find the resellers with the brightest advertised LEDs. I could post my findings if you guys want.

I haven't bought any yet, though, and even if I had, I wouldn't have the equipment or experience to say whether they're as good as they're claimed to be, or how their longevity is...

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weep said:
The THC3 LEDs' listed intensities aren't much higher (if at all higher) than that listed for many regular 20 mA 5mm LEDs nowadays...
When did you you buy your LEDs? -Maybe a production change?, because I've gotten drastically different test results than you did.
(I never paid amy attention to the listed intensities though).
What I did was to measure the THC's outputs -driven at 100mA, and again at 50 mA.

At 50mA the very best regular LEDs were measuring about 65% of the THC's 50mA output-on my LM-631 light meter.
At 100mA, there was no comparison,-and some of the regular LEDS just dimmed almost immediately and never went to their normal brightness again.....

Bottom line: about 50% more brightness for the same amount of current. It should also be noted that the THCs had lower forward voltages than the light duty ones.
-Example: the green THC's output on just two cells was almost equal to the regular green LED's output on three cells. Same result with the Blue as well.

Last edited:

Weep

Newly Enlightened
vcal said:
When did you you buy your LEDs? -Maybe a production change?, because I've gotten drastically different test results than you did.
(I never paid amy attention to the listed intensities though).

As I think I mentioned, I haven't bought anything, and I was only pointing out the listed intensities. What else can someone go by if they haven't got the cash to spare on LEDs and test equipment?

It'd be interesting to get a real-world comparison of the THC3 LEDs vs. some of the others out there, seeing how the specifications stack up. For example...

THC3 green, 18k max. mcd (listed) at 100 mA, 30° vs. LED1.de green, 12k mcd (listed) at 20 mA, 25°...
THC3 blue, 11k max. mcd (listed) at 100 mA, 30° vs. UltraLeds.co.uk blue 10k mcd (listed) at 20 mA, 30°...
THC3 red, 16k max. mcd (listed) at 100 mA, 25° vs. Best Hong Kong red 14k mcd (listed) at 20 mA, 20°...
THC3 white, 24k max. mcd (listed) at 100 mA, 30° vs. EBay LoV white 40k mcd (listed) at 20 mA, 15-25°...

And of course it'd be folly to try to drive a 20 mA LED at 100 mA - how about dividing that 100 mA over 5 of the non-THC3 LEDs? It'd give similar battery life. Also interesting to see would be what a THC3 would do at 20 mA.

In that LoV EBay store I saw some other interesting ones: 11k mcd 20° blues in 3mm sizes, and 25k 20° 5mm reds...I'm curious to see what they're like, how accurate those specifications are. I wonder if there are any CPFers near me in the CA Bay Area who have the equipment to test them out, if I decide to splurge on some of them?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you can certainly try out a few of the LSDiodes for cheap at around $1.75 each and only $2.00 shipping.

-Then an inexpensive Luxmeter can be found on eBay..... ;)

Interpreting specs is for me, at least as much art as it is science, with all marketing hoo-hah making it's way onto spec.sheets -and in the ads as well.....

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I just tried out the red, blue and green LSDiodes.com THC3s. VERY impressive... at least the blues and greens. The greens and blues both have forward voltages of 3.6. I first tried them on 2 alkalines, then on two primary Lithiums. Then on three alkalines (2 N cells and 1 AAA cell fill up a 2xAA light) and was treated to very bright output. The blues are, dare I say it, a bit white but it can focus down quite tightly. The greens are visibly brighter but they cannot focus down as tightly but still very usable, even outdoors.

Honestly, I have too much neat stuff to play with to do comparison beamshots to similar other LEDs, but suffice it to say that the greens and blues are the brightest non-Luxeon LEDs I've ever tried.

Unfortunately the red LEDs specify a forward voltage of 2.4 but run direct drive, even on two NiMHs that measure 1.2V, they start off very bright, then quickly dim down to dimmer than other bright red LEDs I own. I'm sure they would be very impressive if run properly, but I don't mess around with resistors and drivers and such... if they don't work in a Minimag, I'm not really interested in messing with them.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a couple beams shots. The first shot is a direct drive 3xAAA 1W Luxeon cyan light. Next is the green THC3 driven with 3 cells, then the blue THC3 on 3 cells and finally the Nite Ize Minimag drop in on alkaline cells just for comparison.

IMG_1791%203xAAA%201W%20Cyana.jpg

IMG_1851%20THC3%20Green%20on%204.5Va.jpg

IMG_1852%20THC3%20Blue%20on%204.5Va.jpg

IMG_1777%20Nite%20Izea.jpg

Weep

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reference pics, cratz. :)

I'm thinking of getting some samples and comparing them too. While I don't have a lightmeter that reads candela or lux, I do have a DSLR which should be able to meter relative intensities fairly accurately.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is all very interesting... I'm glad someone else is interested in colored leds. I don't know much, but am interested in where this is going.

Latest posts