Acebeam K70 throw comparison

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ANSI FL 1 distance rating gives the range at which a not-too-useful 0.25 lux strikes a target that is perpendicular to a flashlight's beam. These days, I typically divide the FL 1 rating by 4. That gives the distance at which 4 lux arrives down range. YMMV. Some, for instance, will prefer to divide by 2 or 3.

Given the 1300-meter FL 1 rating of the Acebeam K70, I would expect only a fourth of that to be useful for my tired eyes. That means that 325 meters is the longest distance at which I would expect to get "good" illumination from the K70. Even if you are a young whippersnapper who would choose to divide by 2 instead of 4, that would mean 650 meters.

That's all the range I need for beam shots.

I did not realize I posted in bold print. It was an accident.
Thinking about it a bit, I really don`t see what the big deal is.

It's not a big deal, really.

For my old eyes, however, it is hard to read extended passages in bold and/or italic.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too believe it should be 1 Lux at target should be the standard for throw and my eyes are good.

If you're buying stock K70, then the K50 V3 is also a consideration; but it is a little slippery. They both throw very well.

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ANSI FL 1 distance rating gives the range at which a not-too-useful 0.25 lux strikes a target that is perpendicular to a flashlight's beam. These days, I typically divide the FL 1 rating by 4. That gives the distance at which 4 lux arrives down range. YMMV. Some, for instance, will prefer to divide by 2 or 3.

Given the 1300-meter FL 1 rating of the Acebeam K70, I would expect only a fourth of that to be useful for my tired eyes. That means that 325 meters is the longest distance at which I would expect to get "good" illumination from the K70. Even if you are a young whippersnapper who would choose to divide by 2 instead of 4, that would mean 650 meters.

This is likely to be more of a problem as lights get better, which they will. The ANSI rating is the cd equivalent of Chinese lumens. I guess it still compares apples with apples.

When I first received my TM16GT I shone it from an elevated position and was able to get useful light onto a light coloured target over 700ms away. It's ANSI rating is 1003ms. 500ms on your average target is probably about right unless you are at the snow.

cj_86

Newly Enlightened
Ok it is hard to tell in pictures that light is hitting the water tower aprox. 800 yards away. It's actually very hard to see in person as well but I assure you light is hitting the tower. I had my wife shine the light at the tower while I drove to town and stood next to the water tower to confirm light was reaching it. I guess you will just have to take the random guy from the internet's word for it ;-). Anyways, night shots were taken with same setting as first 446 yard beamshot.
BBA2E752-81EF-481B-8BBF-E6EE30DE5271_zpshchzktpz.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok it is hard to tell in pictures that light is hitting the water tower aprox. 800 yards away. It's actually very hard to see in person as well but I assure you light is hitting the tower. I had my wife shine the light at the tower while I drove to town and stood next to the water tower to confirm light was reaching it. I guess you will just have to take the random guy from the internet's word for it ;-). Anyways, night shots were taken with same setting as first 446 yard beamshot.
[/URL]

I see the tower lit up. Impressive to say the least!

boo

Newly Enlightened
This thread has been enjoyable. Really like the beam shots and the information everyone
is providing.
At this point, i`m guessing the practical range for the K70 will be in the neighborhood of
300-400 yards, maybe more.
Shinning the light on a child, dog, or deer at those ranges will probably work if the observer
is using binoculars.
CJ_86, thanks for the beam shots.
400-500 yards is a long way off. I will be happy with that. It will probably be hard
to make out small objects at those ranges.
I have a lux meter coming in the mail. Kinda interested to see what 0.25 lux looks like.
KeepingItLight, I bet it will turn out you will be right about "practical range".
Still, a hand held light that will reach out to 300+ meters in pretty neat.
Even if the K70 s practical range is only half of advertised range, that is still 700+ yards.
That would be more than four football fields and that is a long way.

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok it is hard to tell in pictures that light is hitting the water tower aprox. 800 yards away. It's actually very hard to see in person as well but I assure you light is hitting the tower.

056D94AC-9FF0-4FCA-93A5-3AFFB1BDC6AC_zps3anfs2ea.jpg

That is an awesome 800-yard beam shot pic.

Great work! :thumbsup:

boo

Newly Enlightened
[/URL]

Cj_86, What camera and lens did you use to get that shot?.
Woops!, reread and see now Sony.

Last edited:

legendofzelda

Newly Enlightened
cj thats a fantastic shot!! Best I've seen of the k70. I really want this flashlight but I can't think of a single use living in the city. i'd probably get in trouble for shining it at skyscrapers.

cj_86

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the kind words! Camera is a Sony NEX 6 and the lens was the stock 16-50mm pancake lens that came with the camera. I'm still very new to photography ,but so far I am very happy with the performance of the Sony and lens for what I shoot.

RemcoM

Enlightened
Off course it should reach only 800 meters/yards it should can reach 1300 meters, which i highly doubt....a friend of mine, has a new K70 too, and see not much difference in intensity, with his Nitecore TM36, with 1100 meters reach...when he shines the hotspots on a wall, with both lights, than there was a big disappointment....no difference at all, to a not noticeable slightly difference.

So, i keep my TM36. And want go but, the LEMAX LE 70 HID spotlight, with 3000 kcD......3000 meters of throw....0,25 ANSI, and then i have what i really want....something, that beat all other light sources, in intensity/kcD.

But my friend, gives me, his K70, for some days, within some days.....so, then i can see/test, what it is in reality, before i judge this light, without even have shine with it.

SAMongoose

Enlightened
Off course it should reach only 800 meters/yards it should can reach 1300 meters, which i highly doubt....a friend of mine, has a new K70 too, and see not much difference in intensity, with his Nitecore TM36, with 1100 meters reach...when he shines the hotspots on a wall, with both lights, than there was a big disappointment....no difference at all, to a not noticeable slightly difference.

So, i keep my TM36. And want go but, the LEMAX LE 70 HID spotlight, with 3000 kcD......3000 meters of throw....0,25 ANSI, and then i have what i really want....something, that beat all other light sources, in intensity/kcD.

But my friend, gives me, his K70, for some days, within some days.....so, then i can see/test, what it is in reality, before i judge this light, without even have shine with it.
Warm it up warm it up...aaahhhh action gone. Lets walk back the 4 km.
I will take the K70....is that ok?

ven

Flashaholic

You wont see a big difference, i mean how can you when its about 80kcd difference! What is he expecting..............360 ish kcd V 440kcd ish.............only difference will be a little more light 1000m away. Close up is pointless as it (both) will overwhelm the pupils and with contract(undilate) to shut the light out.............kind of a built in auto balance we have. So being honest a pointless test........

If i had a tm36, then the little jump in kcd would not be worth it to me, might as well wait or jump to one of the BIG boys.

recDNA

Flashaholic
if you don't have the space for such a long range light... why do you need a long range light?
LOL! I thought it but wasn't going to say it. Only reason I could think of using that distance is at sea or a big lake.

Everyone works at different distances. For me 100 m is all I need but I need BRIGHT at 100 m. The thing is I cannot define what bright is. It is certainly more than 4 lumens. I'm guessing I would need at least 20 lumens on target at 100 m so what cd reading would give me that?

Last edited:

boo

Newly Enlightened
These post got me to wondering about something.
What effect does battery type have when testing and comparing
throwers?.

boo

Newly Enlightened
Did a crude experiment with my K70 last night.
I have a public park close to my home that has
multiple ball fields on it.
Last night, after they turned most of the lights
off, I went there to test my Noctigon Meteor and
my Acebeam K70.
Earlier in the day I had placed a piece of cardboard
about 12x12 on a tree. The distance I had available
at this site was 831.2 feet "via google maps".
While I was shinning my K70 on the piece of cardboard
831 feet away, a young man got curious as what I was
doing. He came over to me and we started talking. I
explained about testing my lights.
I ask if he was in a hurry to leave and he said no.
Then I ask him if he would help me with my test.
I was shinning the K70 on the piece of cardboard, while
at the same time trying to look through binoculars.
This did not work well because I was too shaky.
I ask the young man if he would let me walk the distance
across the two soccer fields and him shine the light on
me, then tell me how well he could see me. He agreed.
I walked half the total distance and turned around. He
shined the light on me and it was too bright for my eyes
so I had to turn my head away. That was slightly over one
football field away. I continued on till I reached the 831 foot
mark. I turned around and the guy shined the light on me
again. I raised my arms and took a step or two. After that
I walked back to the guy with the light. I ask him how well
he could see me. He said at one football field he could see
me "real" good. At the full 831 feet, he said he could see me
good but could not make out my facial features.
I was pleased with the K70 and my first test.
Next, I will try at a longer range.
This simple test proved to me that with the K70, one can
see a child, dog, or person more that two football fields
away.

Last edited:

SAMongoose

Enlightened
Did a crude experiment with my K70 last night.
I have a public park close to my home that has
multiple ball fields on it.
Last night, after they turned most of the lights
off, I went there to test my Noctigon Meteor and
my Acebeam K70.
This simple test proved to me that with the K70, one can
see a child, dog, or person more that two football fields
away.

Use white clothes and Board...

Awesome piece you wrote!!!!

boo

Newly Enlightened
Use white clothes and Board...

Awesome piece you wrote!!!!

Thanks SAMoongoose.
The reason for the cardboard was trying to match/mimic the color of a human face.
I`m trying to find the "practical" range of the K70.
Seeing a medium size animal, a person, or child at long range is my goal.
I have another spot at this same park where I think I can get a straight shot at
3,121 feet. Will have to talk my wife into going with me so she can shine the light
while I try to steady my binoculars to see the distance.
I am an old man with cataracts on both eyes so i`m at a disatvantage.
Wish I had the proper equipment to take and share beam shots but, I don`t.
When other members here post vids and beam shots, I really enjoy them.

Last edited: