Acebeam W30vn - The LED Thrower R (DISCONTINUED SOON)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Ya, just to see how far the light can hit you from miles away :) I havent seen anyone do this yet.

Oh I gotcha, I'll probably have to figure out something like that for another time. The distances that I have are fixed, specific locations where I have to coordinate with a camera person. I don't have a spot in mind that's close enough (throw distance wise) yet far enough to seem impressive AND have this spot accessible to a friend to capture images. My plan is to go back to where I was in the in the day time photo and just do it at night. So 12 miles again but at night time, which I think will be mighty impressive. No light however will be noticeable falling on the receiver's perspective, as it's just too distant and the beam is wider that a city block at that range. If I can find a place about 3-4 miles, I believe the receiver will be able to see light hitting their location, as long as it's free from heavy light pollution. I'll put some thought into that as I like your idea and think it would be fun. The only other time I've seen pictures of something like that being done was in the spotlight section, with a short-arc spotlight, probably 8-10 years ago.

Patriot

Flashaholic
If possible a long distance red light signal would be interesting.

At the moment, I'm unable to find my W30 box with red filter. If I can find it before I do this on Wed, I'll get a picture with the filter as well. I'm guessing it will still be quite visible but I think the filter retards the throw substantially, though I've not verified this.

AmericanDissent

Enlightened

I think he means that Acebeam advertises 1.5 million candela, and the VN model he got was 2.66, which is over 1 million more than stock.

The W30's have a number of variables in their materials/construction that make for a wide variety of specifications from sample to sample, and then the boost factor is another consideration as well. For example, I had a stock W30 that I sent to Vinh for an upgrade/boost. It tested high for a stock light, 1.8Mcd, but wouldn't boost at all. Other models test lower than that example, yet are able to be boosted to over 2Mcd. These LEP's are like a box of chocolates, you never know what specs you're going to end up with.

Patriot

Flashaholic
If possible a long distance red light signal would be interesting.

I found the red filter and tried it out. I seems like it reduces the beam intensity by 80-90% I'm not expecting it to be very visible but we'll see. Also, the threads are a little jinky on that filter so I'm glad that I tried it at home. I don't think I want to try to thread it in the windy, cold, darkness up there on Wed. haha. I'll just leave it on and try to get the red filter pictures first.

daffy

Enlightened
I use a green one in mine gives the beam a slight diffusion which creates minor but noticeable spill close up.

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the red filter and tried it out. I seems like it reduces the beam intensity by 80-90% I'm not expecting it to be very visible but we'll see. Also, the threads are a little jinky on that filter so I'm glad that I tried it at home. I don't think I want to try to thread it in the windy, cold, darkness up there on Wed. haha. I'll just leave it on and try to get the red filter pictures first.

How are you able to thread the red filter? Tried many times and each time with no luck.

Patriot

Flashaholic
How are you able to thread the red filter? Tried many times and each time with no luck.

Nothing out of the ordinary, just screwed it on clockwise until it stopped turning. Like I mentioned to scintillator though, I didn't get it easily my first try. The threads are fine and apparently not very precise. I pointed the head straight up allowing gravity to get the filter started while being as flat as possible, then gently got the threads started. Once it's started, there's no problem and you can spin it on and off pretty quickly.

bZ6ndWL.jpg

Patriot

Flashaholic
Well, I'm not sure exactly how I feel about these because of the lack of landmark references but they are true night shots. There's only so many places where the observer could line up a shot and it happened to be in close line of sight to one of the street lamps on the freeway which is about 3/4 mile away. The first picture is with no filter. The second is with the red filter. These were cropped from a much larger frame taken with an Iphone 11 pro. I think it did pretty good considering the limited optics and sensor capabilities. Next time we're going to use a proper pro-camera.

4s0bHFr.jpg

W30vn, 12miles No filter

yk6F1Md.jpg

W30vn, 12miles Red filter... better than I thought!

The observer said that the light was ridiculously bright and was more visible that anything else on the skyline. He was blown away that something could be that noticeable from 12miles. He said that it would immediately catch his attention if the light was anywhere within his field of view. It's probably worth mentioning that there was a lot of moisture in the air and I'm not sure what effect that had. I know that it had some effect.

Last edited:

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info and pictures. This is insane. Makes me appreciate my w10vn v2 and w30vn that much more.

AmericanDissent

Enlightened
Awesome pics Patriot, that's such an interesting real world test. I'm not too surprised in general, but the red filter results were not at all what I expected. Very cool

Taswegian

Newly Enlightened
So are these lights still to be discontinued?
Seems to be some showing up on ebay as if the seller was being restocked after running out of them twice already.

star_c_star

Enlightened
So are these lights still to be discontinued?
Seems to be some showing up on ebay as if the seller was being restocked after running out of them twice already.

The Acebeam website shows their 2020 flashlights as including a W40 with 3 Km throw, and a W50 with 6 Km throw.

I don't know when they will be released, but it seems as though the W40 would replace the W30 since it has slightly more throw.

I can't wait for the W50, and especially for the W50vn!!!!!

daffy

Enlightened
The Acebeam website shows their 2020 flashlights as including a W40 with 3 Km throw, and a W50 with 6 Km throw.

I don't know when they will be released, but it seems as though the W40 would replace the W30 since it has slightly more throw.

I can't wait for the W50, and especially for the W50vn!!!!!
Still looking for it on their site.

star_c_star

Enlightened
I can't see it either....

Go to the Acebeam site, then to their home page.

Near the bottom of the screen, you will see three white buttons that take you to different screens. Choose the middle one to see their 2020 flashlights.

You will see the W40 and W50 on the right hand side, without any pictures except for a gift box, since they haven't been released yet. They are listed under the ultra throwers, and are shown to have 3 km and 6 km throw, respectively.

daffy

Enlightened
Go to the Acebeam site, then to their home page.

Near the bottom of the screen, you will see three white buttons that take you to different screens. Choose the middle one to see their 2020 flashlights.

You will see the W40 and W50 on the right hand side, without any pictures except for a gift box, since they haven't been released yet. They are listed under the ultra throwers, and are shown to have 3 km and 6 km throw, respectively.
Thanks i see it now

Latest posts