Acebeam X60 & X60M brief review and beamshots

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some Samsung 25R on order, do those have the same counterfeiting issues? I guess I could still use the fake batteries I have since they do seem to work pretty well. Would just be interesting to compare them to actual authentic Sony VTC5's. Thanks again for your taking the time to give some excellent advice.

No, the Samsung 25R has no issues with counterfeiting, as far as I know. They are pretty inexpensive (you should pay no more than $7-8 each, and you can find them for less with a little effort), and thus don't have the same appeal (to counterfeiters) as the more expensive VTC5, which for a while were THE cell to buy, especially for the vape market.

They are also much easier to find from a variety of sources. Illumination Supply and Mountain Electronics would be my recommended source(s) for any type of lithium-ion cells. Unlike, say, Battery Junction, they don't sell crap *****Fire cells - any cell you can get from them should be quality. I have had only good experiences with IS and ME, and they know lights and cells inside out...if anyone can detect fakes and screen them out, it would be them. Craig from IS, and Richard from ME, also both are involved with CPF. Richard, for example, designed a custom driver for one of Vinh's modded lights, and Craig ran the CPF Christmas giveaway thread last year (2013, technically). Nothing like buying from fellow members of this community.

I think you are fine to use the VTC5, I did some looking, and could not find any mention of a safety issue. It seems the fakes are not actually too bad...just not as good as the real thing. And it is always possible you did get real ones, after all.

Flash-O-Maniac

Newly Enlightened
You mentioned something about "The manufacturer selects the ideal storage voltage and ships them out that way". You also said "Who kows how long they might sit on a shelf before they are shipped out". Since I am soon going to have a glut of extra Li-Ion batteries, some still being shipped, I posted this question on another thread, but didn't really get a clear response:

"If I understand correctly battery manufacturers recommend recharging seldom used Li-Ion batteries every 3 months so they don't drop below a certain charge and either shorten the lifespan of the battery or damage it beyond further use. When I order rechargeable Li-Ion batteries to use as backups and store in the case with the flashlight, I would like them to be charged and ready to go when needed. My question is, is it better to leave the backup batteries uncharged? It seems these batteries probably have been sitting in a retail storage facility for some time, possibly longer than 3 months in their original state, does charging them the first time trigger some sort of mechanism that requires them to be recharged every 3 months in the future? Can newly purchased Li-Ion batteries be kept longer than 3 months before charging them for the first time?"

Do reputable retailers actually take the time to check the voltage of Li-Ion batteries they have had in stock for a longer period of time? On average how long can I store newly purchased rechargeable Li-Ion batteries (as in for survival storage) before they need to be charged?

I appreciate your patience in taking the time to help educate me in my new (expensive) addiction.:)
So far I have received no response at all, not even a form letter to let me know the question was received. It has only been 24 hours or so, will update again if they do respond.

Having them arrive fully charged is a negative, in my book. The manufacturer selects the ideal storage voltage, and ships them out that way. It is of course possible the retailer charged them fully after doing some testing, but I wouldn't count on it. Anyone who knows enough to do proper load testing should also know to return them to a lower storage voltage after testing. Who knows how long they might sit on a shelf before they are shipped out?

http://www.sun-vapers.com/how-to-spot-a-fake-sony-vtc5-battery/ has more information, specifically about the counterfeit VTC5. I would encourage you to read the article, and make your own determination. Unfortunately, there is no way to be 100% sure, but it might give you an idea what to look for.

Flash-O-Maniac

Newly Enlightened
Yes I can see where this is off topic. My apologies to the forum. I'll send a PM.
PM me a link to the other thread, if you don't mind. I just realized that we are getting off topic, and going into this amount of detail is probably best done elsewhere.

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
The X60 is basically on spec - they tend to come in around 5000 lumens stock.

The X60M output is inflated - even a modded version, with boosted driver, heatsinking, and resistance tweaks was only able to hit about 8500 lumens, the stock is probably around 6000-7000.

Personally I'd opt for the X60.

Hi All,

This is SAR in Los Angeles, CA. I have a question regarding ACEBEAM(TM) X60L. Will Samsung 3000 mAh 30Q flat top battery fit in its 6 cell carrier and power this light? I heard from TIHRUNITE(TM) TN42vn fans that Samsung 30Q's are awesome. Thank you in advance for answer to this light-battery combination question.

Last edited: