Acrylic ball lens for tight even beam

ElektroLumens

Originally posted by McGizmo:
Hank,

As soon as you flatten one side, the beam angle increases. These balls are incredibly inefficient as you can see side light spilling out and yet the beams get higher readings than the collimators. As I stated in an earlier thread than this, I think some well designed optics and or reflectors will give us beams from the luxeons that we can only imagine at this point. The big guns are working on these things now. I spoke with an old aquaintance on the phone yesterday whose company is currently focussing on the transportation industry with 1 and 5 W luxeon lights. They have optical engineers working on photon management with sophisticated computer aided equipment. For an idea of their size, when ramped up, he says they will be going through 20K luxeons per week!

- Don
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So, these new Luxeon Star LED's are the 'Light Wave' of the future?

I have heard that the current Luxeon Star optics lose about 15% of the light. I have also heard the a reflector will lose about 10%. The more glass or plastic to pass through, the more the loss. Also, light is lost as it reflects off the surface instead of passing through.

Considering these are simply spheres, it is amazing they do what they do.
shocked.gif

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com