Action Light batt. tests * TEST COMPLETE*

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
graph20.gif

Although I was graciously provided with a recording meter by a well-known CPF member, I have yet to successfully get it to "talk" to my computer using the provided software or replacement software designed for another meter that uses the same protocol.
So I'm still doing the graphs by hand.

Last night, I did uncover a badly damaged computer in a closet (the guts were just stuffed in there to get them out of the way after an earthquake), so that computer will probably end up being rebuilt to use just for this purpose.

Nothing is truly hopeless until one has given up hope. They aren't giving up in New York, and I'm not giving up on this meter either.

(Edit)
Test suspended at 1:00am 09-19-01 and is set to resume at 9:00am same day (8 hours later).
I don't believe this battery type has a very substantial "recovery" ability, so the light output should be virtually the same once the test is restarted and given a minute or two to settle back in.

(Edit)
It's 9am... where did the night go?
As I suspected, there was virtually no "bounce back" during the time it spent off overnight. Not enough to put even the tinyiest "hitch" in the graph.

But as I speak now, I just watched it take the big dive... from 10.97mA to 6.31mA in seconds. So much for that "hitch" in the graph, this is where it goes down the toilet.
smile.gif

The fall-off was so fast, that even using a 5-minute scale, the "knee" would look virtually identical to the one you now see.

After 15 hours 27 minutes, it began to flicker between medium and low (less than 10 minutes after it fell out of high), and the test was officially ended - though I will keep watching what's left of it in case anything funny happens.

(Edit)
The test of HIGH mode is now complete.
Light remained virtually constant for 15 hours & change, then fell off over the next ten minutes to MEDIUM, then quickly fell off again to a level just above LOW, where it remained for the remainder of the test.
Total time: 22 hours 54 minutes before light was, for all intents and purposes, extinguished (each LED has maybe 1 to 1.5 microamps (not milliamps) of current flowing through it.)

(Edit) Test on "medium" using a 3.0v Saft LiSO2 "D" cell begun 10-01-01 at 12:00pm PST. Test ended 10-08-01 at 3:01am PST.

(Edit) Test on "medium" using a 1.5v alkaline "D" cell begun 10-08-01 12:05pm.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Originally posted by Free:
[QB]Well....there seems to be some interest lately in the Action light 24led so I thought I would post a comparison with the DB37!

CR72023.jpg

...but I think I'm safe to assume that by this, the 5th hour, the DB37 would be OUT? verplunket? extinguishe?
grin.gif

...just had to have some payback
wink.gif
!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted the Led:
Originally posted by Free:
[QB]Well....there seems to be some interest lately in the Action light 24led so I thought I would post a comparison with the DB37!

...but I think I'm safe to assume that by this, the 5th hour, the DB37 would be OUT? verplunket? extinguishe?
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yow!!!!

I expected to see someone ragging on me because I didn't start the test... sorry, I'm still looking for a critical component.
I haven't heard it crunch under the wheels of my work chair, so I know it's around someplace.
shocked.gif

(Edit)
Well DAMN hell crap!!! {imitating Bart Simpson at dinner table}

Why didn't I look there to begin with... It figures the silly thing is *exactly* where it is supposed to be - on top of the meter.
In this house, nothing is where it's supposed to be.
blush.gif

All I had to do was LOOK at it... if it was a snake, I'd have been in a world of hurt.
wink.gif

So the new starttime is 9:00am tomorrow, assuming I don't go around and forget where the box with the new batteries in it is.
grin.gif

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Free:
Well....there seems to be some interest lately in the Action light 24led so I thought I would post a comparison with the DB37!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm shure the DB37 will light for some 30 hours, but brightness will be reduced. Fortunately 6AA cells do not cost a fortune to try it (would be interesting to test it in a continous test and in an intermittent).

You could do a different comparison: You beat one light with the other until one dies and tell us the survivor .-)

And more: You know, there are 4 AA adapters which mimic exactly such a Li cell. The Roosa light was also offered as Li version, using an Eternacell LiSO2 D cell. And you could have this adapter for it. I bought mine in 1984 (and was stolen 1991 in Louisville, KY)....

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeLu:
You could do a different comparison: You beat one light with the other until one dies and tell us the survivor .-)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the Action Light might win this test.
My DB-18 is already broken, and I've actually been treating it pretty well.
Since the head was glued on, I really can't get in there to fix it without destroying it.
frown.gif

Symptom: When both barrels are in use, light fails to turn off.

Removing one set of batteries allows the light to function normally. Removing the other set or leaving both sets in place causes the light to stay on all the time, regardless of switch setting.

Something in, on, or near the switch has obviously shorted out.
frown.gif

Anyway, the Action Light test is underway.
Started at ten this morning.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
I think the Action Light might win this test.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The same as always. First decide who has to win and then which competition you will take .-)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
My DB-18 is already broken,

Symptom: When both barrels are in use, light fails to turn off.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

pretty strange. I mentioned military standards about shock (or better fall) resistance. You have to think a cuboid around your device (take the Actionlight). It has to withstand a drop from a specified height (1.5-3m) on an also specified surface (concrete?). And you have to drop it on any surface (6), on any edge (12) and on any corner (8).

Craig, er... Stingmon...

Let me know if you need any "old" computer parts for that rebuild machine. I'm liable to have it lying around.
wink.gif

I think I have a P166 cpu, a 486dx33, and I'm sure I have a 16 bit video card here somewhere. Make a list.
smile.gif

lightuser

Newly Enlightened
Gadget, very nice job on the 36 DB array I commissioned from you. (See the "DB 37" pic's- very similar.) We've traded emails between us, but I wanted everyone to know what an impressive device this massive array is when plugged into my 6-cell DoubleBarrel, and how professional Gadget is too (most already know this of course). Nice job on a very unique flashlight, Sir. As far as I am concerned this light "takes it to the next level" in this category. Everyone should get one...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Go, Go Gadget Flashlight:
Craig, er... Stingmon...

Let me know if you need any "old" computer parts for that rebuild machine. I'm liable to have it lying around.
wink.gif

I think I have a P166 cpu, a 486dx33, and I'm sure I have a 16 bit video card here somewhere. Make a list.
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Gadget... I'm fairly sure I have enough unbroken parts to make a chickenshit machine with - enough to run that meter software anyway.
smile.gif

I trashpicked a machine last spring that's still sitting, untouched, in a pile of rubble that was once the TV room. Pretty sure I saw a 4x CD-ROM & a mainboard in there... and my "closet computer" probably has a video card, HDD controller, and I/O card in it. Not sure if I have any keyboards or mouses anymore, but I'll look first before I go around begging for them.
grin.gif

Hey Brock... you wanna do the "LOW" test on this Action Light? hahahaha!!!
Stare at a meter for 300-400 hours... oh boy what fun!!
grin.gif

Just kidding.
wink.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lightuser:
[QB..and how professional Gadget is too (most already know this of course). Nice job on a very unique flashlight, Sir. As far as I am concerned this light "takes it to the next level" in this category. Everyone should get one...[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends what how you define 'professional'. Most people don't know that from such a good working prototype it is still a long time to a real mass production (ask Peter Gransee). But for waht was intended, Gadget made a wonderful job (and a very inexpensive one, too).

Next category: I know my perspectives are very different, but 'next level' will include some kind of regulation...I would rather have less LEDs and spent the money into some circuit....
It would be easy for me to make such a DB31. I have several boards for the MagLite conversion kit (which are very similar to the board gadget made, except that there are 6 mounting holes in the outer ring, so it has 'only' 31 LEDs) here and a couple of LEDs. It always depends on your point of view.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stingmon:
The test is now underway.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't you think it would be better to use logarithmic scales on both the time and the brightness axis?

This one will be a bit easier because the fall-off should be very, very slow, and I should not have to keep an eagle eye on the meter every second.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But when the cell comes to it's end you ahve to watch it carefully. How long do you intend to run the test on 'high'? Until high starts to flicker? Until it stops flickering? Until the fallback medium stops (starts to flicker?)?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeLu:

Don't you think it would be better to use logarithmic scales on both the time and the brightness axis?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know how to do that.
I flunked algebra, and never took any math class more advanced than that.
frown.gif

I can read such a graph easily enough, but I wouldn't know how to draw one out.

But when the cell comes to it's end you ahve to watch it carefully. How long do you intend to run the test on 'high'? Until high starts to flicker? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Until it flickers and/or automatically dumps off to a lower level, which for my sake, I hope happens within the next two hours.
blush.gif

That will manifest itself on the graph if I'm awake when it happens... otherwise I will be forced to extrapolate the data or shut down & resume the test in the morning.

If there was a time that recording meter was needed, it would be now... but alas, it refuses to talk to my computer so I'm still doing this manually - taking readings & plotting pixels one at a time on a .GIF graphic kept open in Photoshop.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I suspected, there was virtually no "bounce back" during the time it spent off overnight. Not enough to put even the tinyiest "hitch" in the graph.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, there was no 'bounce back'. But in case you would have made a pause of, lets say a month or more, you have a low starting again.

After 15 hours 27 minutes, it began to flicker between medium and low (less than 10 minutes after it fell out of high), and the test was officially ended - though I will keep watching what's left of it in case anything funny happens.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is strange that you had only 10 minutes 'medium'. When mine does not work in 'high' anymore, I have at least 5 hours left at 'medium'. As I wrote before, I never emptied a cell completely. When it does not work at 'high' it gets replaced after the trip. And one time high started to flicker pretty soon after starting the trip (but I did not really record it). I used it at least 5 more hours on 'medium'.
Tell us now how long it will work on 'low' !

When I'm ill the next time I will empty my already 'empty' cells and look how much is left.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I think I asked this before, but I could *not*, for the life of me, find the response.

I have one battery left, and the light has two untested modes - Medium and Low.

Which of these two modes do you think is most appropriate to do a run-time test on?

P.S.
Brock, when I send this on to you, it will have the battery that came with it. So you will still be able to take all the pictures and measurements you need... can't leave our other U.S. reviewer in a lurch you know.
smile.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
No worries. Mostly I just want to take a reading on the three brightness levels, and how much power it is consuming on each level.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
It is strange that you had only 10 minutes 'medium'. When mine does not work in 'high' anymore, I have at least 5 hours left at 'medium'.

Tell us now how long it will work on 'low' !
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When the switch itself is set to "low" it does not work. Medium and high both look the same now, which is approximately what "low" looks like on fresh batteries.

I'll continue graphing this one out until the light has fully extinguished.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the switch itself is set to "low" it does not work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it works, but you have to wait for a few seconds to maybe maximum a minute for the cell to recover voltage. It's well described in the light's manual.

Medium and high both look the same now, which is approximately what "low" looks like on fresh batteries.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When 'high' does not work anymore it falls back to 'normal' (you call it medium). The light is still regulated there, but this is still a factor of 4 as bright as the 'low'. The 'low' also stays somewhat constant until the very last few hours.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[QB]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Stingmon:
When the switch itself is set to "low" it does not work.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it works, but you have to wait for a few seconds to maybe maximum a minute for the cell to recover voltage. It's well described in the light's manual.
QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did not get a manual with this light, so that fact was certainly not "well known" to me.
frown.gif

I'm still waiting for some feedback on which of the two remaining modes (medium or low) I would be best off testing. Since there's only one battery left, I cannot test them both.